Best Windscreen? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Best Windscreen?

Looking to reduce wind on the highway
Whats the best Windscreen? and something I can buy or have shipped to canada? Ive browsed some threads but Im still trying to figure this forum thing out! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
There are at least three schools of thought on the subject of windscreens for a naked bike such as the 390 Duke:

---the "Naked bike purists" who seek a minimalist look and abhor any screen bigger than the miniscule OEM piece;

---Those in the middle, who look for a modicum of protection but want a sllek, racy look;

---Those whose priority is protection, who are unconcerned about looks and seek some real shielding from windblast.

I belong to the last group. At my advanced age I would like some mitigation of the raw windblast on my torso at 50-80 mph speeds. Did the naked thing long ago.

After considerable reflection, I decided to go with the MRA VarioScreen, a German-made, rather pricey, but superbly-designed product.

MRA VarioScreen (style "VNB") universal windshield for naked sport bikes, cruisers, enduro, and dual sport motorcycles - TwistedThrottle.com

This modestly-sized windscreen has excellent optics and is made of top-quality materials. A very solid design and a piece I expect to last many years. Many windscreens can push aside air and give you some relief, but invariably an unvented windscreen will form a pocket of low pressure behind it at speed. This low pressure area will cause the airflow to wrap around the screen to fill the partial vacuum, creating vortexes that the rider will perceive as turbulence.
Snapping, popping, buffeting, roaring, intermittently noisy, busy and frenetic. This typical behind-screen turbulence can be as fatiguing as the actual windblast itself.

This is the reason I selected the VarioScreen. A clever, two-piece design, the Vario's distinguishing feature is a large air intake at mid-height that provides two functions: The intaken air eliminates the low pressure area behind the screen, so no vortexes form; The intake directs a smooth, turbulence-free stream of air up towards the rider's face, enhancing helmet ventilation and reducing wind noise. This ingenious design provides excellent windblast protection, while at the same time eliminating almost all turbulence. Windscreen nirvana. It makes for a very relaxing ride at speed. I cannot recommend this high-quality piece enough. It is superb. Not sexy looking, not "naked bike pure", but brilliantly effective.

Attached photos show the VarioScreen on my "Dukino".

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

Last edited by Diploman; 04-17-2016 at 03:36 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-10-2015, 02:26 PM

JKC, I forgot to mention that Twisted Throttle also has a Canadian branch:

Twisted Throttle - Aviciouscycle.ca

Cheers, Will

--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

post #4 of 23 Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to weeksy
Can we get a "WTF" button ?
cyprusduke and staatkunde like this.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 AM

Weeksy, If you read the thread starter, the poster was asking about a screen that could be shipped to Canada. I was trying to be helpful by pointing out that Twisted Throttle has a branch in Canada.

Cheers, Will

--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #6 of 23 Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 AM

LOL I'm not arguing with that fella... but **** that's an ugly thing .... I mean SO SO ugly !
cyprusduke likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-11-2015, 06:12 PM

Are you referring to the name of the Canadian Twisted Throttle branch or my screen? If the latter, I'm sure you realize that taste and personal priorities are entirely subjective. I think the screen looks splendid, and it works even better.

Cheers, Will

--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #8 of 23 Old 06-12-2015, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
Are you referring to the name of the Canadian Twisted Throttle branch or my screen? If the latter, I'm sure you realize that taste and personal priorities are entirely subjective. I think the screen looks splendid, and it works even better.
I'm thinking I shouldn't even reply now as you may get offended
post #9 of 23 Old 06-12-2015, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Behave kids.

To the OP, I have the PowerParts screen and love it, so I guess you can put me in the second group. There is also this if you're so inclined and like anodised parts: COWLING KTM DUKE 200 2012-2013 BNXSS

Here are some good examples of what you can find on eBay and elsewhere: 390 duke windscreen | eBay

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #10 of 23 Old 06-12-2015, 05:37 AM

You can get the anodised aluminium screens on eBay too:

CNC Windshield Wind Guard FOR KTM Duke 125 200 2012 2013 Black CC | eBay

CNC Windshield Wind Guard FOR KTM Duke 125 200 2012 2013 Orange CC | eBay

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page