Black wheels or not? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Black wheels or not?

From the very start (before I bought the bike) I had this plan of getting close to the all black Kunka concept from last year, but now, when I'm getting close, I'm not so sure. The orange frame will probably stay, as it takes some comittment to strip the bike to paint the frame. But my plan was to paint the wheels matt black. As it is at the moment, the wheels are still orange.

What do yo think, keep the orange or go for the (almost) all matt black bad boy look?

YesEvil likes this.

2013 Duke 390 | G2 | DNA | Printed air box lid | Powertronic | MIVV Suono | Custom handlebars | No stickers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 PM

Garage
I think it looks good the way they tie in with the frame color now but I vote for matt black rims because I think it will look even better. Then maybe a hint of orange with some orange rim tape or stickers?
Keep up the good work, it looks good.
Tricki likes this.
post #3 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 03:43 PM

Garage
Personally , I would not be comfortable riding without the chain guard .

post #4 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
Personally , I would not be comfortable riding without the chain guard .
Ok, that's noted, but what about the color of the wheels?

2013 Duke 390 | G2 | DNA | Printed air box lid | Powertronic | MIVV Suono | Custom handlebars | No stickers
post #5 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 05:23 PM

Garage
Murder that puppy out! You're right about the frame, though.

My garage makes me happy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda CT70
Honda Grom
KTM 390 Duke
post #6 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 06:53 PM

Personally, I'm not in favour of all black 'stealth' bikes as they have lower visibility to all the idiots in cars trying to kill us. The bold colours of the Duke are part of it's persona of being something different and not just like 99% of Harleys.

However, this is your bike & if you like it, do it
mejetski2000, 640 and KTMasean like this.

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 PM

Garage
i think your bike looks pretty awesome as is!
if you spray paint the rims black, the paint will fleck off after time and you will have orange peeking through. if you want it to stay black, you might have to get the wheels sandblasted and powdercoated black... or buy a set of duke 200 wheels. those are the same size, and black, correct?
nice headlight, too. that's the ktm powerparts headlight, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 PM

Sandblasting & re-powdercoating would give the best job for sure, but is rather a drastic, no-going-back approach.

To see if you like it you could try painting black with Plasti-dip...provided it's available where you are. It will let you see how it looks & can just be peeled-off afterwards if needed.
retrochick likes this.

Regards,

Phil.

KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
post #9 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 PM

Garage
I tried making them black but it's been a while since I did a decent photo editing job...

Perhaps this will give you some what of an idea but I would suggest photoshopping the wheels better so you have a good idea on how they will look like all black.
best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160516_142622_dark.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	23153  
Tricki likes this.

Between safety and adventure, I choose adventure.
Instagram:

Youtube Channel:

post #10 of 46 Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mariner View Post
Sandblasting & re-powdercoating would give the best job for sure, but is rather a drastic, no-going-back approach.

To see if you like it you could try painting black with Plasti-dip...provided it's available where you are. It will let you see how it looks & can just be peeled-off afterwards if needed.
or truck bed liner. that stuff's pretty rugged.
The Mariner likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page