Quick Action Throttle Mod - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sandy mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 533
(Thread Starter)
Quick Action Throttle Mod

Little video for those of you looking to reduce throttle travel. Guy uses Bajaj Pulsar 200 grips to reduce throttle travel by 20%....


seems simple enough...
mig390 likes this.
sandy mary is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 116 Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 520
always been skeptical if these things really work that well.
dukeitout is offline  
post #3 of 116 Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeitout View Post
always been skeptical if these things really work that well.
As it increases the diameter and hence circumference of the throttle tube it will increase the amount of cable pull per degree of tube rotation. However the trade off will be more effort required to pull the cable in against the throttle spring unless that is changed as well.

The 390 has a 90 degree throttle turn which is a quite a long throttle - apparently chosen deliberately to make it 'easier' for new riders (less snappy).
Asiaoildude is offline  
 
post #4 of 116 Old 12-17-2013, 05:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 45
They do work and the 390 needs it in my opinion. Re-gripping from a high throttle position to brake can be dangerous. and if you don't re-grip and brake with some throttle on it obviously reduces braking performance. I've experience both of these scenarios.

The above option is good if you can find the right piece for the job. I did mine by gluing a couple bits of pvc pipe into the existing slot. The cable has to pull around these then line up into the stock slit afterwards.
eikon is offline  
post #5 of 116 Old 12-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
philcuore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 573
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to philcuore
i'll try to mod the PVC pipe thing as per eikon ... wanted to buy 1 from ebay at USD55 ... but looking at it .. why not DIY and judge the result ... saved the USD55 to finance the Akra ...
philcuore is offline  
post #6 of 116 Old 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 520
wouldn't it also mean that fine control of the throttle is going to be harder since its more sensitive now?
dukeitout is offline  
post #7 of 116 Old 12-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeitout View Post
wouldn't it also mean that fine control of the throttle is going to be harder since its more sensitive now?
Yes. However experienced riders are better with this than the lifting off to readjust hand position.
mig390 likes this.
Asiaoildude is offline  
post #8 of 116 Old 12-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,087
Thanks for showing an install video, it should help newbs with getting around this.
HazardousDuke is offline  
post #9 of 116 Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoildude View Post
Yes. However experienced riders are better with this than the lifting off to readjust hand position.
With so little HP fine control is not really a consideration. This bike won't spin out on you if you blip the throttle. (touch wood)

But to allow a more consistent action I glued the pvc bits right at the start of the cam so the extra pull/action' is effective from when the throttle cracks open. That way it is even or linear from crack to full. Rather than normal then a sudden shorter action from mid throttle. I hope this makes sense.

Phil if you do the same as me rather do more than less. I did two shorter pieces instead on one tall one to ensure it will stay in line and slot into the stock slit afterwards.

Try shave the PVC bits so they wedge in and holds then have a play with it and adjust to suit. When you're happy, glue the bastids in and you're gold .
philcuore and mig390 like this.
eikon is offline  
post #10 of 116 Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
philcuore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 573
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to philcuore
eikon .. care to show me some pics ...

i'm looking at these for days now till u hit me with your DIY solution
G2 Quick Turn Throttle Tube | MotoSport


Quote:
Originally Posted by eikon View Post
With so little HP fine control is not really a consideration. This bike won't spin out on you if you blip the throttle. (touch wood)

But to allow a more consistent action I glued the pvc bits right at the start of the cam so the extra pull/action' is effective from when the throttle cracks open. That way it is even or linear from crack to full. Rather than normal then a sudden shorter action from mid throttle. I hope this makes sense.

Phil if you do the same as me rather do more than less. I did two shorter pieces instead on one tall one to ensure it will stay in line and slot into the stock slit afterwards.

Try shave the PVC bits so they wedge in and holds then have a play with it and adjust to suit. When you're happy, glue the bastids in and you're gold .
philcuore is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome