..my D390's ongoing mods... - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 215 Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
..my D390's ongoing mods...

So, today is first-service day for me, and I'm getting some extra's fitted too. Powerparts anodised brake reservoir caps are being fitted front and back, as well as the DNA filter is being installed. Along with that all service fluids are being replaced with the Motul equivalent of the recommended item, and the brakes are being bled and fed 5.1 polyglycol based fluid.

Will update the thread after I get the bike back and have taken it for a ride.
Bizare likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 215 Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 AM

Location: Nilgiris - Where everything is in a relaxed state of tune!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malJohann View Post
So, today is first-service day for me, and I'm getting some extra's fitted too. Powerparts anodised brake reservoir caps are being fitted front and back, as well as the DNA filter is being installed. Along with that all service fluids are being replaced with the Motul equivalent of the recommended item, and the brakes are being bled and fed 5.1 polyglycol based fluid.

Will update the thread after I get the bike back and have taken it for a ride.
Great. I see too much fuss on the DNA filter, what's the big deal? Would love to get a picture of the same and insights as to the performance gain.

Cheers!
VJ

Fool me once - Shame on you
Fool me twice - I'll kick your @rse

Honda CBR 250R ABS | Suzuki Shogun 2S | Hyundai Accent GLS 1.6 ABS | KTM Duke 390 | Next ?
post #3 of 215 Old 09-13-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7ACKTHORN View Post
Great. I see too much fuss on the DNA filter, what's the big deal? Would love to get a picture of the same and insights as to the performance gain.

Cheers!
VJ
According to the guys at RaceDynamics, they saw a 0.7-0.9hp gain at the wheel with a stock D390 and only a DNA filter. It also smooths out power delivery at low to medium revs, something that I can now confirm. Has more than double the airflow than the OEM paper filter.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce

post #4 of 215 Old 09-13-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Anyway, so here's some pics during the service. The guys at City West Yamaha get my vote if you're in Melbourne! They even called me in at various points to talk about things and so I can take a peak at what they're doing. Here's some photos with the tank and top off.

Here's some photos from this morning after I gave it a bit of a clean.

And the view we all so love and enjoy!

Impressions are these service guys definitely know what they're doing and like to keep you informed. The bike feels super sorted after the service. The induction noise from the DNA filter is addictive and noticeable, even if it may be only from the rider perspective.

With the filter, I can say that it made a big difference to how the power is being delivered, so much smoother at low to medium revs, with more guttaral sound at higher revs. I can feel a slight increase in power too. Throttle control is now so much easier too, much less varying of speed at constant throttle with low revs in a high gear.

I asked them to use Motul oils and Motul 5.1 brake fluid, and to give the bike a once over checking all the bolts, to fit the extras and remove my rear foot pegs. This morning I removed my grab rails at home, since I forgot to ask them to take that off too.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #5 of 215 Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 AM
CEO

@malJohann looking good . Let's us know how the brakes feel with the new fluid. Also what's the switch with the orange button on the brake lever side? Cheers
post #6 of 215 Old 09-14-2014, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
@malJohann looking good . Let's us know how the brakes feel with the new fluid. Also what's the switch with the orange button on the brake lever side? Cheers
Thanks CEO! I'll let you now about the brake fluid, I've got all week to check it out commuting to work and back. The orange button is for the Power Parts heated grips.

post #7 of 215 Old 09-15-2014, 08:48 AM

malJohann, one query, so how does the engine filter filter particles, will it cause any problem in the long run with these kind of filters.

Apart from performance bump, how well will the bike fare long term with increased air intake -- say unfiltered air. Any chance of data of filter being stress tested for dirt capture efficiency?

Cheers!
VJ

Honda CBR 250R ABS | Suzuki Shogun 2S | Hyundai Accent GLS 1.6 ABS | KTM Duke 390 | Next ?
post #8 of 215 Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 PM

Your bike looks awesome after the clean up.
What cleaning products did you use?
malJohann likes this.
post #9 of 215 Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7ACKTHORN View Post
..Any chance of data of filter being stress tested for dirt capture efficiency?
VJ, DNA is a reputable manufacturer, they test their filters for filtration of particulates as well as airflow. Many people have been using these filters on commuter- as well as weekend- and race bikes. They do filtration via oiled cotton elements, and some other proprietary layers. If you look at the airflow graph I provided above, you'll notice they mention the filtration efficiency at the top right (98-99% filtration).

If you want to know more, they have a lot of info and data on their website, but broadly, this is how their technology works: The Anatomy of a DNA High Performance Filter | DNA Filters Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazardousDuke View Post
Your bike looks awesome after the clean up.
What cleaning products did you use?
Thanks mate! Castrol Greentec Bike Cleaner diluted with water in a squirt bottle, squirt if on the whole bike then spray it off with a pressure washer. Let it drip dry for a bit, then apply Motul Wash & Wax Polish/Protectant in an aerosol can (waterless cleaner that works on metal, plastic and glass), finally take a dry cloth and wipe the cleaner/wax off which takes the last bit of grime with it. After just toss the cloth in the wash for reuse.

[EDIT] The Wash & Wax also goes EVERYWHERE, so it forces you not to be lazy, because you have to wipe it off. [/EDIT]

Last edited by malJohann; 09-15-2014 at 07:22 PM.
post #10 of 215 Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 PM

Appreciate the headsup Mal.

Cheers!
VJ
malJohann likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page