KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

EICMA KTM Press Conference Live Stream

9K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  retrochick 
#1 ·
EICMA Live Stream

2018 790 in-line 2 scalpel yo! I'm starting to save my pennies today! :)

#2 · (Edited)
live stream don't work anymore....

Some piccies / details here:

KTM 125 and 390 Dukes updated | Visordown

New: Powerful single cylinder, 4-stroke, 373.2 cc DOHC engine, electronic fuel injection, 3-way catalytic converter and balancer shaft, slipper clutch and now with ride by wire
- New: Max. output: 32 kW (44 hp), emissions now Euro 4
- New: Ultralight trellis frame now with bolt-on rear subframe, extremely lightweight die-cast aluminum swingarm
- New: Top quality 43 mm open-cartridge front forks by WP Suspension
- New: Powerful brake system developed in cooperation with Brembo now with larger, 320 mm front brake disc
- New: LED headlight and LED daytime running lights
- New: Multifunctional dashboard with color TFT display
- New: Optional KTM MY RIDE (hands-free kit
and audio player)
- New: Adjustable hand levers
- New: Larger steel tank (13.4 l) and new bodywork
- New: Revised rider and passenger seats
- New: Side-mounted exhaust system
- Optional power restriction for A2 license

#5 ·
One interesting feature of the 790 Duke prototype is the built-in pillion bun warmer, visible in the overhead photos. There are multiple air vents to ensure that the passenger's derriere will remain toasty throughout the ride. Much simpler than an electric seat heater. Not sure how well this feature will play in hot weather countries like India, however.

#7 ·
The manual lists weight of the current Duke 390 as 142 kg/313 lbs (dry). The 2017 model is reportedly 149 kg/328 lbs dry. The weight gain is thus about 7 kg/15 lbs. Very regrettable. Some of the difference is likely due to the new, 13.4 liter steel fuel tank. The more complex, adjustable-damping forks are probably heavier as well.

With power remaining about the same as previously, but weight increasing, the 2017 Duke will have a less favorable power-to-weight ratio than earlier models, as well as poorer agility. Not really what you want to hear about a new, "improved" model. There are some advances, undoubtedly, but the weight gain negates many of the benefits of the revisions. The new, side-mounted, generic exhaust cannister also is decidedly a step backwards from its predecessor.

Reactions: Adjin
#8 ·
Quite like it especially the back end , larger capacity tank , radiator modified by the looks of it . Not sure about the headlight . That 790 however is something else .

David , my mechanic is at the EICMA today and tomorrow : I have asked him to take plenty of pictures of the new 390 and the scalpel

#9 ·
I think it looks pretty good, certainly the updated frame.

Higher seat height would be problem for me though, it's up 30mm, as is the weight as mentioned earlier.

Only other bonus I guess is increased fuel capacity and the ride-by-wire, if it does allow modes...

#12 ·
I got the 142 kg figure from the 2015 owner's manual. If the 2016 actually is lighter at 139 kg (I don't think so), then the 2017's weight gain is even more underwhelming.

#13 · (Edited)
Really cool

Really cool rocket ship made here. With cool features.

For me who wants the Duke because its simplicity, lightness and beautifully styling I must say the 2017 model seems not for me. Actually none of the changes appeals me much. A bit disappointing:serious:
EDIT: Might be the adjustable fork, levers and the brembo but I'm actually happy with my fork settings (2016 EU Duke 390) and the brakes yes, they could always be better.

EDIT again: The belly pan or protection plate looks really cool. I wonder if it will fit my Duke :)

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
I see some old/new Duke parts bin bastards coming on like a freight train! Build it better than KTM can? Also wonder if the current exhaust will fit? I'm guessing a lot of the weight gain will be due to emissions plumbing.

#20 ·
Any one that wants to install an after market exhaust to that 2017 duke, PLEASE give me the stock exhaust!!!!

I think the 10 kg is almost insignificant if you take in consideration that you get bigger brakes, better suspension, bigger tank.

that design is controversial. Some will love it some will hate it. I personally love it!!!

i believe that it is going to be even more fun to drive, i have some issues with that ride by wire think... The stock bike has SO huge mpg it is no need for electronic accelerator. Its not even the 790.

That 790 is awsome!!!!! They say that it will have more than 120Hp and huge torque!!!! And the weight will be at low 160 kg!!!

#21 ·
Just received some pictures live from from the Milan show : They were sent via whatssapp , but I should have plenty more tomorrow when David is back in the workshop ; Fitting my slipper clutch !!!
The 790 and the new 390
They already have an Akra on it !

Attachments

#22 ·
Looks better overall than I thought it would.

I like it.

Weight gain disappointing but at 149kg still hardly a porker and larger tank, improved front suspension & improved instrumentation all welcome.

Will be interesting to read first road tests, but doubt I'll be rushing out to buy one........

#23 ·
TBH I would if I could. Think its an awesome update.

The weight gain will be easy to remedy, then you have the bigger tank, better brakes, better front suspension, ride by wire, LED lights with DRLs standard, and other juicy optionals.

I'm betting the white one will still be the faster one though.

Reactions: Diploman
#28 ·
With the 790 prototype and the refreshed 390 Duke, KTM has taken its signature space-alien styling (by Kiska) to another level. It's totally weird and insectoid, IMO. Perhaps they should have hired Sigourney Weaver as a model for the EICMA show.

That said, the styling is very well integrated and nicely done. I have to admit it's growing on me, and the new 390 is a handsome, aggressive-looking bike that makes me think of a praying mantis poised to pounce. In spite of myself, I quite like it. The new bifurcated LED headlight in its production version does not seem as strange and alienating as in the pre-production photos. The only real flaw in the bike's aesthetic presentation is the jarringly ugly side-mounted exhaust cannister. If the Gen 1 underbody exhaust cannot pass Euro 4 norms, then I would have preferred a solution akin to the 790's (but without the bun warmer). The new tank side panels, to paraphrase Led Zepplin: "What a whole lotta Orange!"

#30 ·
Kiska says it best right there on their website:
"Supported by unmistakable signals that divide people into lovers or haters, the more polarising KTM is, the happier we are. It’s simple: you either love KTM, or you hate it. The colour? Polarising. The videos? Provocative. The designs? A declaration of war. We don't want KTM to be everybody's darling. We want it to be unmistakably intense - always looking ahead. It’s why the logo symbolises a champion on the winner’s podium. As far as we’re concerned, that’s exactly where the brand belongs."

Personally I think the new 390 looks daft - especially the bifurcated headlight. While the new 790 (including the bifurcated headlight) ignites the Rider's Passion in me and I can't wait to feel it between my legs!

#34 ·
Agreed, RC. I find the 790 very hot as well. Once you learn to wrap your mind around Kiska's wild and radical styling, it can become very attractive.

Over a year ago the German moto-mag Motorrad had a long spread about the "KTM Duke 800", with photos of the early test mules. They reckoned the bike would be built in Austria and would sell for something in the range of 11-12k $US. But now there seems to be talk of moving its production to India. If so, that would mean a substantially lower price. The final production model will undoubtedly look somewhat different from the prototype: Among other things they need to fit a tail light, license plate bracket and light, and indicators front and rear. Likely there will be a rear fender of some sort - that tail is a little too tidy as it is now....

#35 ·
That 790 " Scalpel " or " Bisturi " as it is called in Spain is really teasing me .. Dilemma ... I still want a KTM 350 Six Days . ( I was dragging my feet on buying that Norton Commando and in the meanwhile someone who obviously didn't drag it's feet has bought it ) So... I looks like that I will have to sell the 390 in order to buy the 790 ..

My mechanic who saw the 790 at hand , said it was one of the best looking bike's he ever came across . Really up there with MV Agusta and Ducati but at half of the price .

#36 ·
We aren't meant to own one bike our whole lives. There's too many exciting machines out there to buy one and keep it forever. I mean, unless you're super wealthy and can afford a garage of "collectibles" :) Wouldn't that be grand.
I think the 790 has a real Brutale vibe to it.
I too will probably have to sell my 390 to get the 790. If the production version doesn't suck balls.

Agreed, RC. I find the 790 very hot as well. Once you learn to wrap your mind around Kiska's wild and radical styling, it can become very attractive.

Over a year ago the German moto-mag Motorrad had a long spread about the "KTM Duke 800", with photos of the early test mules. They reckoned the bike would be built in Austria and would sell for something in the range of 11-12k $US. But now there seems to be talk of moving its production to India. If so, that would mean a substantially lower price. The final production model will undoubtedly look somewhat different from the prototype: Among other things they need to fit a tail light, license plate bracket and light, and indicators front and rear. Likely there will be a rear fender of some sort - that tail is a little too tidy as it is now....
Too tidy, but sooooooooooo pretty. Hopefully they don't change the exhaust placement. It's so radical and ... well, so awesome. Hope they don't stick a big, ugly fart can coming out the side.
Time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.