KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Which fuel controller ?

17K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  properperson 
#1 ·
Hi guys, quick question ? I have a bit of spare cash, so was thinking of getting a fuel controller, but like to know which of these controllers are the best bang for my buck - Bazzaz, Powercommander or Dynojet ? My bike has stock exhaust and air filter, not going to change that. There is nothing wrong how it runs, just want to fiddle a bit.

#2 ·
You gain a lot of midrange if you run a K&N filter and remove the top of the airbox using either controller. I don't think it's worth it if you're not willing to make these small changes. If you are, my vote is for a PCV with a preinstalled map from Welcome to KTM Performance based on these changes. PCV's can adjust timing but the Bazzaz doesn't and the dyno charts that I've seen show smoother HP & torque curves with the PCV (might be due to 2-4 degree timing advance in the cells). I also have first hand experience with a PCV running one of Chad's maps and it's flawless.

#8 ·
Just to make sure I understand; you recomend the PCV Controller and a new air filter? This neat solution will improve the sound, mid-range grunt, jerky throttle at low revs and not compromise the stock exhaust styling, correct?

You gain a lot of midrange if you run a K&N filter and remove the top of the airbox using either controller. I don't think it's worth it if you're not willing to make these small changes. If you are, my vote is for a PCV with a preinstalled map from Welcome to KTM Performance based on these changes. PCV's can adjust timing but the Bazzaz doesn't and the dyno charts that I've seen show smoother HP & torque curves with the PCV (might be due to 2-4 degree timing advance in the cells). I also have first hand experience with a PCV running one of Chad's maps and it's flawless.

#3 ·
Thank you bahawton. Ok, it makes sense what you are suggesting, i will have a look into making those small changes to the airbox and filter. The PCV does look like it has better features and with the custom maps it should make it a much more acceptable option.

#4 ·
Got the PCV in my hands :) Looked up on the webs for a Dynojet dealer, and found one 30 min. from me. Phoned them up, they had in stock, drove there and picked it up. They also loaded the latest maps for me. Came out much cheaper than if i had to import with shipping and taxes, so very happy with my purchase so far. Now just to get it installed.

#5 ·
Quick question - the plug that goes to the crank position sensor is on the left front of the frame, just next to the cylinder head. There is a 4 pin plug, but it only has 3 pins in, is that the correct plug to use ? The only other one there has got 6 pins, so cant be that one.

#7 ·
Correct zippy, used that one, and nothing blew up :) Took it for a spin today, and must say i am very pleased with the outcome. Power delivery is now much smoother, and by some way, and i dont know why, but the gear changes is suddenly butter smooth, just flicking threw the gears with out any drama. Before it always felt very agricultural.

#14 ·
Another option would be an Autotune module

When you posted up this thread, I was thinking of casting a vote for the Rapid Bike Evo (as I believe that is the cheapest route for an Auto-tuning fuel controller), but you'd already bought the PCV before I got to the keyboard :).

I'm not saying Autotuning is better than a map from a good tuner, I just like the convenience of it - not that I've any experience - (and also it will auto adjust for high altitudes / weather etc.)

#22 ·
Here is my take on the PCV that i fitted - installed it on Saturday, and went for a drive. My first notice was that the power delivery was much smoother, with standard airbox and air filter. No sudden increase of power and speed, that will never happen. If i want more mid range torque, then i must run the open airbox mod with freeflow filter. I dont have a map for that mod, cant get it, or even buy it, so i must go for dyno tune to build a new map, or get the auto tune module. The latter is much more expensive than what the original PCV costed, or the dyno tune. So for now i am content with what i have so far. Will i recommend adding a fuel controller ? If you dont have the money burning a hole in your pocket, i would say no. The bike runs as it was designed to do. This is not cheap, and your bike is not going to transform into a Duke 690. You will never get your money back when you sell the bike, so this must be purely on something you like to add. I enjoyed tinkering on it, learned a lot from the guys on this forum that did the complete mod with fuel controller of there choice. There are always a million reasons to justify something that you want to do, but be willing to live with what you choose. People might disagree with me, but this is my 2 cents of the controller that i added.

#24 ·
My first notice was that the power delivery was much smoother, with standard airbox and air filter. No sudden increase of power and speed, that will never happen. If i want more mid range torque, then i must run the open airbox mod with freeflow filter.
I'm running a Powertronic + DNA filter in the standard airbox and it definitely has loads more mid range torque than stock, so I don't agree that you need an open airbox to get more torque (thank stock) if that is what you are suggesting?

You might just want to try popping a DNA or K&N in there now, can always go the custom map / open airbox route later.

#27 ·
Ok, I agree to that map with your set up, I had the exact same before I changed the exhaust. That's what mess things up and make it harder to tune. But the sound is so good I have to keep trying :D

Reactions: 640
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.