2017 Duke 390 heating issue - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2017 Duke 390 heating issue

Hi

Its been 10 days since I got my hands on the 2017 KTM Duke 390 and its all been good fun,except for 1 thing,and that's the radiator fan switching on quite a lot!Strange bit is,the engine temperature remains normal!I can't seem to figure it out and any thoughts on this would be very much welcome!

Cheers!
lesnesnwheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 10:49 PM

Can't help but a youtube test pilot reported an early fan also. Ask at the shop. ENjoy your new ride!
post #3 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig in Brisbane View Post
Can't help but a youtube test pilot reported an early fan also. Ask at the shop. ENjoy your new ride!
The guys at the dealership aren't very well up to date with the new Duke.They just told me that the cause for the radiator switch on is a reduced cut off temperature.Reportedly,the KTM guys decided to bring down the temperature at which the fan comes on.But it doesn't make sense when the engine temperature is normal.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 PM

Sounds to me like they are trying to combat the prior generation heating issue by simply having the fan kick in earlier. The only issue with this though is of course more use of the fan = more noise more of the time, more heat being thrown at the rider.

Have they updated the fan at all since the last generation? Could always look at doing the SPAL upgrade that many of the prior generation owners have completed with great success. At least that way your fan won't be as noisy, or operating for as long.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-05-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessthen3ee View Post
Sounds to me like they are trying to combat the prior generation heating issue by simply having the fan kick in earlier. The only issue with this though is of course more use of the fan = more noise more of the time, more heat being thrown at the rider.

Have they updated the fan at all since the last generation? Could always look at doing the SPAL upgrade that many of the prior generation owners have completed with great success. At least that way your fan won't be as noisy, or operating for as long.
I am not up to date with the SPAL upgrade that you've just mentioned! Will have a look at it,any more info in that regards would be much appreciated!
post #6 of 17 Old 05-05-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesnwheels View Post
I am not up to date with the SPAL upgrade that you've just mentioned! Will have a look at it,any more info in that regards would be much appreciated!
Its a great upgrade and simple enough for most people to do it themselves! There is a really solid step-by-step guide on the whole process on this forum! Here is the link to it: http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...nstal-how.html
post #7 of 17 Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessthen3ee View Post
Its a great upgrade and simple enough for most people to do it themselves! There is a really solid step-by-step guide on the whole process on this forum! Here is the link to it: http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...nstal-how.html
But its an after market installation and any such mod to the bike voids the warranty!
post #8 of 17 Old 05-05-2017, 02:02 AM

Garage
The 2017 has several technical improvements compared to the previous model : However the engine is identical with only a slightly revised software . The radiator and water pump setup remains unchanged where the radiator guards / scoops have been altered to give better cooling at higher speeds .
There are no reports that the actual electric fan has been changed : many 2015 -16 models have experienced failure with more or less serious consequences . You will find several threads on this forum treating this issue .

Given you have the 2017 model , one presumes the engine is still breaking in : A new engine is still fairly " tight " which gives you more internal friction and hence will generate more heat . It is also possible ( as said above ) that the temperature set for the fan to kick in deliberately earlier during breaking in period and could be altered when you have the first service done .
post #9 of 17 Old 05-05-2017, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
The 2017 has several technical improvements compared to the previous model : However the engine is identical with only a slightly revised software . The radiator and water pump setup remains unchanged where the radiator guards / scoops have been altered to give better cooling at higher speeds .
There are no reports that the actual electric fan has been changed : many 2015 -16 models have experienced failure with more or less serious consequences . You will find several threads on this forum treating this issue .

Given you have the 2017 model , one presumes the engine is still breaking in : A new engine is still fairly " tight " which gives you more internal friction and hence will generate more heat . It is also possible ( as said above ) that the temperature set for the fan to kick in deliberately earlier during breaking in period and could be altered when you have the first service done .
That sounds about right! This is what the dealership guys are saying,the 2017 Duke's exhaust setup is different in the sense that it has a catalytic convertor up front with the exhaust due to which the temperature at which the radiator fan comes on has been brought down to around 76 degress (earlier it was roughly 92). Also,there are 2 different sensors,one for the radiator and the other one for the engine,hence,the engine temperature reading on the console should not be linked with the fan coming on.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Changing the fan will not void the warranty in the US. The Magnusson-Moss act takes care of that. I have no idea if the rest of the world has something similar, but worth checking.
The 2017 does have a different fan to the 15/16. I spent a good deal of time at the Chicago bike show looking at it. It still has the shroud on it, but a different design.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page