Error Code J6.1.7.3 - KTM Duke 390 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-05-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Error Code J6.1.7.3

I went to start the bike this morning and I got the error code "J6.1.7.3" come up after the engine turned, started and then died almost immediately. The clock and the service interval spanner also reset itself to nothing. I eventually got the bike started after twisting the throttle and holding the revs high for a few seconds. This is the second time I have seen this code, the last time was when it was wet and cold and just before the first service. KTM asked for the code at the service as there was nothing recorded, but it only flashes up very quickly before the instruments reset and I didn't have time to read it properly or write it down. This time I managed to remember it long enough for my wife to write it down on her phone!

I was wondering if it was the battery as the temperature was low at 0 degrees centigrade with a frost. I ran the bike to work and back yesterday for 22 miles, so it was a charged battery as far as I could tell. I also charged the battery last week as it usually takes a few ...pop pop pops before it starts in the morning. I used my CTEK XS800 charger, which has served my other bikes well so far.

Any ideas would be appreciated or an error code book!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-05-2015, 03:20 PM

I had the same issue when I bought my bike and this seems to have been resolved since installing a new battery. I would see the error code in question flash up following failed starting attempts.

However a Google search of the code suggested a defective negative terminal.. Others spoke of resetting service interval info and other gremlins associated with the speedo unit. I too experience some of these issues but have not seen the code since installing the Yuasa battery.

Sorry I can't provide a more conclusive response..
post #3 of 9 Old 03-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchickat View Post
..However a Google search of the code suggested a defective negative terminal...
These bikes have weak battery terminals, so this is a known problem, good on you for putting the two together. @marshalla685 check that your battery terminals have a good connection or that they are maybe not partly severed.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce

post #4 of 9 Old 03-06-2015, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ah ok thanks I will have another look at the cables coming off the battery too malJohann and maybe invest some time in making them stronger. Thanks anarchickat for sharing the wisdom. I will look into getting a better battery too. I always like upgrades, especially if they make starting etc easier!

Thanks again.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM

No worries. The new battery did help with starts and has appeared to have eradicated the code but I do continue to experience random bouts of poor hot and cold starts. With the risk of going off topic, it is possible the poor starting we're experiencing may be relate to tight valve clearances. I believe earlier dukes we're recalled in light of this snag.

Another factor thrown into the mix was the suggestion that an iridium plug would aid cold starts. This particular fix didn't work for me and I still randomly experience poor hot/cold starts. The random nature of the fault leads me to think it maybe a electrical / wiring issue .. Just a thought..

Pls let us know how you get on and I will do the same if i crack it..
post #6 of 9 Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
From this article: 2015 KTM 390 Duke First-Ride Review

Quote:
..updates include a generator with a higher output...
Seems they might have picked up on the cold start problem and are trying to remedy it?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-06-2015, 04:04 PM

hopefully that's what will solve the issue
something that affects both ends a lot, them and the consumer, even those that want it but are holding out
post #8 of 9 Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 AM

Great news for the new bikes if that's the case. Wonder if it's a fix that can be applied to earlier dukes?
post #9 of 9 Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That is interesting, maybe it is a better stator, in which case I doubt they have redesigned the engine to accommodate it and perhaps it will fit straight into the 2014 bike. Worth looking at, but stators are usually expensive. I'm still thinking battery. Perhaps also some of the connectors need a squirt of ACF50 too. It reminds me of an old ford fiesta I used to own, which only started first time in the wet and cold when you squirted its engine with WD40.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page