Low Oil Pressure - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Low Oil Pressure

I bought my wife a 390 Duke and when wee went to pick it up she got 3 miles away from the shop when a "low Oil Pressure" error came on. We took it straight back. They changed the oil and oil filter took it out and it erred again. They tested the oil pressure with a true pressure gauge and the pressure was good. So they said the oil pressure switch was bad. We waited two days for a new switch to come in and we finally took the bike home. My wife rode it for a week then low and behold it came on again, two days in a row. Back to the shop they are getting another switch thinking it may fix the issue. It is only coming on for a few minutes now instead of staying on, but its very scary. Any one else have this issue? The technical rep in USA said its been happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390WifeBike View Post
I bought my wife a 390 Duke and when wee went to pick it up she got 3 miles away from the shop when a "low Oil Pressure" error came on. We took it straight back. They changed the oil and oil filter took it out and it erred again. They tested the oil pressure with a true pressure gauge and the pressure was good. So they said the oil pressure switch was bad. We waited two days for a new switch to come in and we finally took the bike home. My wife rode it for a week then low and behold it came on again, two days in a row. Back to the shop they are getting another switch thinking it may fix the issue. It is only coming on for a few minutes now instead of staying on, but its very scary. Any one else have this issue? The technical rep in USA said its been happening.
Welcome to the forum. Its never happened to me. Hopefully they'll sort it out for you quickly.
390WifeBike likes this.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #3 of 32 Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 PM

Never happened to me either.
390WifeBike likes this.

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 32 Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 AM

I picked up my 390 with 50 miles on the clock last week (UK bike).

The "Low Oil Pressure" light comes on after approx 35 to 40 minutes of riding. The warning light and message then comes off and on intermittently.

I've checked the oil level and it seems the dealer has filled the oil above the MAX indicator and I've drained it back down to a maximum level. The "Low Oil Pressure" still comes on after 35 minutes of ridding but is no less frequent.

I'm just going to wait until the first service to see what can be done.

I love the bike but its annoying seeing such a critical warning light come on and off on a brand new purchase.
post #5 of 32 Old 04-24-2015, 05:59 AM

I've got the same "Low Oil Pressure" warning appearing on mine too.

Happened last weekend on a spirited run up the Lakes, just need to pull a finger out and phone the local dealership up and see what they say.
390WifeBike likes this.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-24-2015, 08:42 AM

My dealer said over the phone that it's only a real concern if the light stays on constantly.

Given the intermittent nature of the warning, its probably a batch of faulty sensors.
390WifeBike likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 AM

Location: Nilgiris - Where everything is in a relaxed state of tune!
ktmdude, your dealer is probably right. If the oil pressure stays on constantly without popping up intermittently, then you truly have an issue. But then I guess on (any) new bike it ain't supposed to be happening, as you've pointed out, perhaps a faulty batch.

Upon asking, my dealer here advised me, if you keep seeing LOW OIL PRESS warnings, and you are on the far side, park your bike and check your oil level, if it's on the right level, pressure shouldn't be problem, perhaps it can be just a sensor issue. Eaton pumps last a life time, so as long as the oil level is pukka there's nothing to worry.

If you keep seeing a constant oil pressure warning (rather than an intermittent) one after a mile or so after you first cranked your bike, then it's wise to get it checked as ASAP.

Just my two cents when asked about the question to my dealership here.

Cheers!
V
390WifeBike likes this.

Fool me once - Shame on you
Fool me twice - I'll kick your @rse

Honda CBR 250R ABS | Suzuki Shogun 2S | Hyundai Accent GLS 1.6 ABS | KTM Duke 390 | Next ?

Last edited by B7ACKTHORN; 04-26-2015 at 09:39 AM.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
I agree with B7ACKTHORN. If the intermittent low pressure indication were the result of an actual, motor-threatening low oil pressure condition, your motor would almost certainly have seized by now. Very likely it's just a maladjusted sensor.
390WifeBike likes this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #9 of 32 Old 04-26-2015, 10:51 AM

Garage
Ugh, this is so not cool....
390WifeBike likes this.

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 32 Old 04-26-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390WifeBike View Post
when wee went to pick it up she got 3 miles away from the shop when a "low Oil Pressure" error came on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedsKatoom View Post
I've got the same "Low Oil Pressure" warning appearing on mine too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejetski2000 View Post
Ugh, this is so not cool....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmdude View Post
I picked up my 390 with 50 miles on the clock last week (UK bike).

The "Low Oil Pressure" light comes on after approx 35 to 40 minutes of riding.
There you have your 1st world quality control.

Don't say now i didn't advice you about the quality issues.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page