15 minute idle ECU reset / engine running problems
Shamelessly copied and adapted from another forum. If you have engine running problems, try this first.
It's good if you can solve several problems with one answer. Those who are interested, please keep reading:
- For those of you who must service your 390 when no KTM dealer is near.
- If you have unusually low gas mileage, and you think it’s because of your driving style, you should perform the following procedure.
- If your idle is too high or too low, this can procedure can help with this issue. Other positive results can be achieved for engines that die when you are stopped or at low RPM or have high idle.
- If you have to constantly rev the engine during cold winter starts just to keep it running, this procedure can help.
- If you have made any modifications to the input sensors, air intake or exhaust.
The solution may lie in the acquisition of new parameters. It may sound complicated, but it is not. The low cost is out of proportion to the possible improvement.
Prepare for the procedure:
- The fuel tank must have enough gasoline to complete the process.
- The procedure is to be performed outdoors as a safety precaution.
- Do it somewhere where it won't disturb your neighbours.
- The vehicle and the owner must be in a cool ambient temperature environment.
- A clock must be present.
- The bike must not be on its side stand, so sit still on it, or put it on a paddock stand with the side stand up.
What is to be done:
- The 390 is on a paddock stand and/or vertical.
- The engine must be cold.
- It should be a cool ambient temperature when performing the procedure.
- Start the bike and let it idle for 15 minutes.
- Do not touch the bike while it’s idling: Do not operate throttle or other functions.
- Do not let the bike idle for less than 15 minutes or more than 16 minutes.
- If the bike stops, restart the 15 minutes again.
- Should the procedure be incomplete or faulty, it must be repeated again 100% accurately or you can take it to the KTM dealer for a faster resolution.
Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
Last edited by malJohann; 05-19-2015 at 09:55 PM.