Duke doesn't crank anymore - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Duke doesn't crank anymore

Hello guys,

I just got my licence plate this morning, I wanted to inaugurate the bike with a small ride, but it doesn't start anymore.

The problem :
When I turn the key, the display (combinaison of instruments) starts and the checking porcess runs normally. The engine, ABS, and neutral lights are ON as normal.

Than I press the electric starter button, but nothing happens. The engine does not even crank, just nothing.

What I have done :
Yesterday, I got a warning message Low Battery (I started it in my garage to ... avoid a discharged battery problem), I though it was normal because it is winter here. I measure a battery voltage at 12V wich was a bit low, so I decided to charge the battery. After removing the passenger seat I was surprised to see that the previous owner got a terminal plug broken, so he solved it by a home made solution. Anyway, I removed the battery and charged it during the night (10h), the voltage battery is now at 13,5V.

I assembeled everything back, than I tried to start the bike and well nothing happenned when I pressed the starting button.

Wath I checked :
- Battery voltage (13,5V)
- Battery is well plugged
- No gear engaged, side stand up ...
- Fuse are unburned
- Trun signals, horn, lights,... work

Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 06:36 AM

Is the emergency button in the correct position? (The red switch on the right-hand side)
post #3 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yep, it is. No gear engaged, side stand up, kill switch OFF.

post #4 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 AM

Garage
Try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Yau View Post
I had an issue where when I pressed the ignition there was a single 'click' from the under the seat and it wouldn't start. All electrics were working.

At the time it happened, fuel was low, F = ~40km but there was still some in the tank. So I had assumed I lost at fuel light bingo and ran it too far.
I promptly refueled but it still wouldn't start. I changed the battery, checked the fuses and it still wouldn't start.

By the negative terminal of the battery tucked inside are 2 parts with the word 'coil' on them. I'm not sure if this is the Solenoid or Alternator but I lightly tapped each one around 5 times with a screwdriver and hey presto! it starts

I have no idea what I did or how it worked. I've read something about solenoid brushes getting stuck and the like but I wanted to share the issue I had and how I fixed as I trawled the entire forum and couldn't find a similar issue. Will try and take a pic of the parts I am talking about tonight.
Taken from this thread:

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...tml#post277145

Less is more - You can only use 150hp .001% of the time, but you can use 150kg 100% of the time ...........

2015 390 Duke / 2001 KTM 640 Duke2 (awaiting carb rebuild) / 1998 Bandit 1200 (half dead) / 1994 DR350 (in bits)
post #5 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 View Post
Thanks for the help. I will try to tap those. (Took a picture if it could help anyone)

I think those are some start relay ? Does anyone know what they are ?

When I turn the key, I hear a littletac form those parts. Does your bike make the sound too ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161221_125454.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	32754  
post #6 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Garage
Are 100% sure it is not in gear ( do not always trust the "N" lit up for that ) ? Also check the side stand switch / connector .

You can also try to move the bike and drop it in first or second gear to disengage the starter motor . Finally you could try and start it the old fashion buy running next to it and jump on it whist you kick it in gear ( make sure the ignition key is on )

The noises you hear are normal .

Last edited by Trimapa; 12-21-2016 at 10:34 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I am 100% sure it is not in gear Plus the bike don't show any warning when I try to start it.
When the side stand is down the display tells me so and as well when it is up. So I would say it is not a problem caused by the side stand.

I have tried the old fashion way but the engine cranks but never dare to start (3rd gear, ignition key on).

I also tried with another battery, same problem. I also checked the variation of the voltage :
- Ignition Key OFF : 12.80V
- Ignition Key ON : 12.40V (drop due to the energy needed by the electronic device, the pomp,... I suppose)
- When the electric starter button is pressed (not in gear, not on the side stand, declutched, ignition key on) : 12.40V
There is not current flowing to starter motor (there is no drop of volatge between the two last steps), so it is normal that the starter motor doesn't work.

The question is : what could cause that ? Secutity mode ? Starter's dead ? dead relays ?

Thanks for helping !
post #8 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
There are three starter relays (K11, K17, K18) as shown on pages 168-169 of the repair manual. They are accessible by removing the fuel tank cover. You should check all starter and relay connections carefully, then test the relays individually if necessary. Good luck.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s225/...04pages%29.pdf

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #9 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
There are three starter relays (K11, K17, K18) as shown on pages 168-169 of the repair manual. They are accessible by removing the fuel tank cover. You should check all starter and relay connections carefully, then test the relays individually if necessary. Good luck.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s225/...04pages%29.pdf
Is it difficult to remove the fuel tank ? I am not sure I will have time for this next month (exams)

How do I recognize those 3 relays under the tank ? Is there a mark on it ?

In fact I am used to work on old motorcycle engine but I never worked on electronic regulated engine.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Maxime, Below is a thread which just appeared today on the RC390 forum. This owner has a problem rather similar to yours. The response is from Chad Wells, the most noted 390 tuner in the US and a long-time KTM dealer. He suggests the problem is low voltage caused by faulty connections or a bad battery.

No Start and JY_1.2.3 Displayed

To answer your question: It is not necessary to remove the fuel tank to access the starter relays. You do, however need to remove the tank cover , a plastic shroud that hides the tank as well as a number of electrical components. In the owner's manual there are instructions for removing the tank cover. Tedious, but not terribly difficult.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page