overheating - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 93 Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
overheating

Lately my 390 has been overheating. It doesn't happen every time i ride and it seems to only last a minute or so. I changed over to engine ice a few weeks ago but this has only occured in the last week, I've checked the system for air and that all seems to be fine.

I think whats happening is the fan is cutting in and out from time to time, as I get the warning on the dash and the temp gauge rises but if i start moving or it cuts back in after a minute or so it goes back to normal, and it doesn't happen every time i'm stuck in traffic. I've also noticed at times when the fan should be on (one bar under the warning line) I haven't been getting my legs baked like usual, and when i actually inspecced one time the fan wasn't on, other times it was.

I'm hoping it's just a loose connection somewhere, I've tried the connection directly to the fan and that seems fine, I recall reading someone mention they had a connection issue with their fan, does anyone remember who as i couldn't find the post, wondering if I might be having the same issue.

cheers guys n girls
mousqy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 04-02-2014, 05:49 AM

Yeah I think the connector was dodgy on some of the early deliveries in India.
As for heat control I'm going to investigate wrapping my header in that white tape. A lof of the heat pushed into the radiator seems to be coming off that header.
post #3 of 93 Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoildude View Post
Yeah I think the connector was dodgy on some of the early deliveries in India.
As for heat control I'm going to investigate wrapping my header in that white tape. A lof of the heat pushed into the radiator seems to be coming off that header.
I've just come across a company called Zircotec that does only heat management products. They've got ceramic wraps and sprays. Might be worth a look...

Zircotec - Plasma sprayed ceramic thermal coatings

http://www.zircotec.com/page/new-fle...ic-products/97
kawasoju likes this.

Last edited by sandy mary; 04-02-2014 at 10:46 AM.

post #4 of 93 Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM

they have ceramic coatings for headers too

but exhaust wrap looks cooler
post #5 of 93 Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 PM

i would like concur to your problem coz i have been having this problem too, kinda suck coz Kuala Lumpur have got many traffic jams. i get paranoid and keep checking the temp gauge, this sucks big time as im only +-3000 KM on my ride. goona go to a SC and get it check and change my coolant to engine ice TODAY
post #6 of 93 Old 04-03-2014, 02:24 AM

Im only spit balling here (guessing) but lately there has been an increase in this being raised here and on other pages. I wonder if the impellar inside the pump is starting to let go already?

When you take it to the mechanic get them to check your water pump, its the little black pump.

In regards to the fan I'd have that checked for the solonoid/fan motor, if the connections are all good then it could mean its worn from the temp you guys are dealing with having it continually kick in.

The whole cooling system on this bike sucks the dogs preverbials to be honest.
SeanN likes this.
post #7 of 93 Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 AM

if you cant take the heat! get out of the oven!

i think all KTMs run pretty hot
post #8 of 93 Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 PM

I do think AOD is onto something with the heat soak however, it just exacerbates the problem. Get rid of your cats Or gut em...
Kram_ph likes this.
post #9 of 93 Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy mary View Post
I do think AOD is onto something with the heat soak however, it just exacerbates the problem. Get rid of your cats Or gut em...
Your onto something with this quote SM but Id have to say its not just the CAT that helps. The GPR Powercone actually dropped my temp by 4 bars, when I put it back on with the CAT included to try and muffle the noise it stayed the same. Although it was a very short test (5mins) I reckon the free flow was helping a lot.
We need Mitch's opinion regarding heat since he pulled his internals out.
post #10 of 93 Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to philcuore
mine staying max at 8th bar ... with the new config (wasted the cat) it still runs chill at 8th bar max ... the situation of squeezing in the afternoon traffic (ambient temp 33*C)

so far after losing the cat .. with the powertronics ... i yet to get any average temp reading to share ....

~ride as if you have stolen it~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page