My SW-Motech Crash Bars review - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-21-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My SW-Motech Crash Bars review

Here's my review of the SW-Motech crash bars available in Australia from Motorrad Garage, www.motorradgarage.com.au.

I decided to get these bars instead of the KTM Power Parts Crash Bars (or the copies) for 3 reasons:

1).. The SW-Motech ones fit a lot higher on the frame & I think would give much better protection to the radiator in the event of a fall.
2).. In my opinion they are much less obvious once installed.
3).. I like to be different !

Purchasing was simple from the Motorrad Garage website. The bars arrived within a week and were very well packaged. Inside the box were the 2 crash bars, all fasteners needed & a detailed set of fitting instructions. The bars themselves looked great... very well made with meaty welds & powdercoated in a satin black finish. First impression is that they are HEAVY.. heavier than I expected & weigh-in at around 900g each, but I have no experience with other brands of crash bars to compare them to.

You'll need 2 x 14mm sockets & ratchet bars, a 15mm socket, an 8mm Allen key, a 10mm Allen key & a tube of thread locker.

These crash bars bolt to the front 3 engine mount locations, so just follow the instructions & start on the LHS one first. Remove the lower through bolt then the 2 upper socket head bolts. Fit the LH crash guard using the spacers & new bolts provided in the kit, apply thread locker & loosely bolt it up. Repeat on the RHS. Once everything is fitted loosely, tighten everything to the torque specs.

Stand back and admire !

The whole installation takes a leisurely 25 minutes from the time you unlock the shed.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crash_3.jpg
Views:	2972
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	4929   Click image for larger version

Name:	crash_2.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	4937  

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-21-2015, 05:18 AM

I considered Motech's crash bars also, but ended up with the originals, as they were already bolted on to the bike I bought. Based on the pictures I found then, it seemed like Motech's should give better protection on low sider situations... Have you tried which parts would touch the ground first in case the bike lays down on the ground?

- Duke 390 2014, Suzuki GSF 1250 SA 2007
- Previous bikes: MZ Baghira 660 R -02, Yamaha XT 660 R -04, Suzuki GSX-Y 750 -99, Suzuki GSF 1200 S -01, Yamaha XJ 600 N -91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-22-2015, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hei,

I eyeballed a planes between:

- The crash bar, the swingarm bobbin & the pillion handrail.
- The crash bar, the swingarm bobbin & the rear tyre.
- The crash bar, the front fork bobbin & the handlebar end.
- The crash bar, the front fork bobbin & the front tyre.

and in these cases everything expensive seemed to be protected. Foot controls might cop a beating in any case.

The engine cases looked vulnerable in a plane between the crash bar, the the swingarm bobbin & the front fork bobbin, but I believe its very unlikely the bike would slide touching those 3 points 'coz I reckon it'll fall over more.

Regards,

Phil.

KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 PM

I like those crash bars. They'll certainly provide more protection than frame sliders (crash mushrooms).

Can you confirm if those crash bars won't drag at high lean angles, in a track environment?

Currently - '15 Kawi Versys 1000, '15 KTM Duke 390, '09 Daytona (track only)
Previously - '13 Multistrada, '13 F800GS, '13 MV F3, '10 S1000RR, '04 Royal Enfield 500, '97 Yamaha RX135, '90 Yamaha RD350...and many more.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
There's absolutely no chance of the SW-Motech bars hitting the ground @ high lean angles.

Regards,

Phil.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 PM

Garage
Hey Phil,

I had a question about removing the 15mm nut and bolt. Mine will NOT give. Instead of a ratchet, I even tried using the leverage of a long torque wrench set to ~65 lbs and nothing.

It won't budge.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Alex
post #7 of 13 Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi Alex,

Jeez mate, sound's like yours was tightened by an ape at the factory. From memory, mine was tight but not that bad. The factory in India are renowned for getting 'creative' with their torques so nothing surprises me. They also use a red thread-locking compound that's a bugger to break, so while mine didn't have any on it, yours might.

I'd go old school & spray the nut with a liberal amount of WD-40, CRC 5-56 etc. & leave it for a few hours before trying again. You might need to lean on it a bit harder to get it to looses but don't worry if you damage it 'coz it gets replaced by the one in the crash bar kit anyway.
Diploman likes this.

Regards,

Phil.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 PM

Garage
Thanks Phil!

Good to know I'm in the minority and not missing something obvious. I'll give it another go.

Anyone on this thread know anything about thread-locking compound? Would it help for the engine to be warm/hot and try again or will the heat only cause the aluminum to expand, tightening it even more?

Thanks!
post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2016, 05:40 PM

I've got a set coming in a couple days. Their stuff sure seems well designed and fabricated!
Diploman likes this.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2016, 11:49 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Alex, If you need to break loose a fastener secured with red threadlocker, conventional wisdom recommends heat from a propane torch to break the bond. Be careful and good luck.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page