How to break in your new bike? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How to break in your new bike?

I am looking forward to the day that I pick up my bike from the dealer. This is the 1st time that I own a brand new bike... How should I break in my new motorcycle on the ride home & for how many miles must I maintain that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 PM

I'm actually taking mine to my local shop that does dyno break ins. I have done a fair number of bikes this way. all done in a couple of hours.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Some follow the book, I rode it like I stole it from day one, no soft run in here. The dyno run in actually sounds like a good idea, bit get a piggyback ECU beforehand and do a dyno tune at the same time?

post #4 of 25 Old 02-28-2015, 06:57 AM

Garage
I too did the same as malJohhan and gave it a good thrashing, with the NaCaSil cylinder coating there is no need to run it in like the old days.

My wife told me to choose, her or the bike, I do miss her sometimes
My 390 Duke is in my Garage, click on it and take a look.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 AM

Modern bikes don't need running in like the bikes of old, the manufacturing tolerances are so much better nowadays. Keep an eye on your servicing schedule, ride your bike normally for the first few hundred miles and then you can get onto riding it on peak revs and chucking it through the gears. Just keep an eye on your oil condition. As long as you let your bike warm up properly before setting off and maintain good quality oil in good condition the engine should look after itself.

Enjoy.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-28-2015, 01:40 PM
JDH

Garage
Ride mode to the max from day one. It will benefit the the bike later on, as it will be loosened up nicely and go a whole lot better.

I have done this with my last 3 new cars and 2 bikes. All have been fine and go much better.

My1st new car I bought years ago, I ran in to the book. Drive like my grandad for 10,000 miles. After 5 years and 50,000 miles it was still tight, slow and poor gas mileage.

That's why I just thrash from new.

Oil, steel and maching is so good these days, you don't need to run engines in like the old days.
BTW I was Ford Master Technician for many years. ����

Current:
390 Duke, RD350 YPVS, Honda MB50, Raleigh Grifter
Previous:
GSX650f, GPZ600R, Yamaha R6, RD125LC, Honda MB50
post #7 of 25 Old 03-02-2015, 02:05 PM

Location: Nilgiris - Where everything is in a relaxed state of tune!
JDH hit the right strings. Personally I've never really given heed to the what the manual says. Ride as fast as you want, as much as you want, but try not hitting the redline each time, ride within 80% of the bikes RPM to make use of the usable power, this way, your ride gets bed-in properly and you don't lose out on the fun.

And try not to maintain a constant RPM especially during running-in, vary the throttle and follow the above.

Bottomline, yes, rev it, but don't rev it to the moons, keep it simple, silly.

Cheers!
V

Fool me once - Shame on you
Fool me twice - I'll kick your @rse

Honda CBR 250R ABS | Suzuki Shogun 2S | Hyundai Accent GLS 1.6 ABS | KTM Duke 390 | Next ?

Last edited by B7ACKTHORN; 03-02-2015 at 02:09 PM.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to markjsantiago
how to break in your new bike

what can you say about the speed per shift?thanks
post #9 of 25 Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 PM

I am a master mechanic by trade. And have done a bit of research on break-in. No steady RPM either high or low. DO NOT CHANGE THE OIL EARLY! Believe it or not this last statement is in Honda auto owners manuals now. I have fixed oil burning pampered low mileage cars by letting the oil get dirty and some hard running. New engines need the polishing compound that dirty oil becomes to properly seat todays low friction rings. After break in change the oil all you want.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokonman View Post
I am a master mechanic by trade. And have done a bit of research on break-in. No steady RPM either high or low. DO NOT CHANGE THE OIL EARLY! Believe it or not this last statement is in Honda auto owners manuals now. I have fixed oil burning pampered low mileage cars by letting the oil get dirty and some hard running. New engines need the polishing compound that dirty oil becomes to properly seat todays low friction rings. After break in change the oil all you want.
If the oil was a normal compound I would possibly agree, but the stuff they put in bikes for break-in is designed to go for only 1000km, so not sure that I would agree unless you change your oil to a normal compound before you ever start riding it.

For myself I just followed the hard break-in method and the normal service schedule, and I can tell you there were some metal shavings in the pre-filter to be seen at the 1000km service. Not sure shavings is a good thing to polish your cylinder or rings with!

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce

Last edited by malJohann; 04-01-2015 at 09:11 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page