600 Mile Service/Valve Adjustment ? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
600 Mile Service/Valve Adjustment ?

As valve clearances is supposed to be part of the first dealer service/check, how many of you found your bike out of spec and in need of adjustment ? My dealer is a 160 mile round trip and I'm trying to decide whether to just service the bike myself and not worry about the valves. I realize that this could cause some issues with the warranty, but rarely have I found a new bike required any adjustment in just 600 miles.

saluti e buona fortuna a tutti I me I compagni di paisano !
2015 KTM 390 >< 2006 Vespa GTS250ie >< 2000 Aprilia RS50 Race Replica >< 2014 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 02:13 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
I'm coming up on 600 miles soon and contemplating the same issue as well. For many years I have done all the servicing on my Guzzi's, so handing my bike over to a dealer's workshop seems strange to me. However, I think it prudent to respect the warranty, at least for the first few service intervals. I would like to watch how they do the valve adjustment, just to see how they actually access the valve train. Drop the motor out of the chassis? Take off the shroud, tank, radiator? Whatever, I just want to learn the procedure so I can do it myself. But since mine is the first 390 Duke my dealer has ever sold, likely they don't have a clue themselves about how to work on it (which makes it all the more important to keep an eye on them!)

EasyRider, I agree with you that 600 miles is a very short interval for a valve adjustment. However, a brand new engine, just running in, is a special case. There is a lot of metal-to-metal honing going on, which could affect valve clearances. Also, heat cycle loosening of the cylinder head bolts can increase valve clearances as well (re-torquing the head bolts is part of the 600 mile check). I understand your concerns about a long round trip to the dealer for this service. I would say the initial 600 mile service is the one NOT to skip - try to watch what they do and then skip the subsequent service intervals if you can do the service yourself. This of course will void your warranty, but for you to judge whether it's worth it. I plan to let the dealer do the first 2-3 services, then if the bike seems tight and reliable, I will take over this task myself and let the warranty go.
easyrider likes this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #3 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 04:14 PM

Garage
I ended up purchasing an extended warranty on my Duke and my 2014 FZ09, since both only came with 1 yr. Internal engine or transmission repairs can be costly. I realize many forgo this practice but Murphy and I have met on numerous occasions....YMMV.
easyrider likes this.

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 04:18 PM
JDH

Garage
I wouldn't miss the first one. By all means do the rest yourself. But get the bike fully checked over by KTM mechanics now everything has bedded in ans settled down. From what I have read from others the valve adjustment is critical on this bike.

I have 400 miles on mine and will be in the same boat. But I think it will be a false economy to miss the KTM service.

I have been a mechanic for Over 20 years btw.
easyrider likes this.

Current:
390 Duke, RD350 YPVS, Honda MB50, Raleigh Grifter
Previous:
GSX650f, GPZ600R, Yamaha R6, RD125LC, Honda MB50
post #5 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
KTMs are known for the first service valve clearance check, I wouldn't miss it.
F1Tod, mejetski2000 and easyrider like this.
post #6 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by malJohann View Post
KTMs are known for the first service valve clearance check, I wouldn't miss it.
Cheap insurance against the horrific consequences. Get 'em checked, good oil changed by warranty-able peeps and ride it like ya stole it LOL....

Pete
easyrider likes this.

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you all for you're input. It helps reaffirm what I've been thinking from the beginning, I guess. Diploman saw thru my feeble excuse about the 160 mile round trip to the dealer. I'll do almost anything to keep my bikes and cars out of the hands of a shop tech. In this case, better safe than sorry. They can do the first service.
mejetski2000 likes this.

2015 KTM 390 >< 2006 Vespa GTS250ie >< 2000 Aprilia RS50 Race Replica >< 2014 Mustang GT
post #8 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 10:54 PM

how hard is it to do the valves yourself?
post #9 of 71 Old 04-18-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubian View Post
how hard is it to do the valves yourself?
I haven't gone thru the shop manual thoroughly, but I suspect this engine uses shims, rather than screw adjusters. Looks like the fuel tank should be removed for easy access to the cam cover. All pretty straight forward to check clearances with a feeler gauge. Problem comes in when a setting is off and requires a different (thickness) shim. The dealers shop may have them, but you won't.

post #10 of 71 Old 04-19-2015, 08:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
I haven't gone thru the shop manual thoroughly, but I suspect this engine uses shims, rather than screw adjusters. Looks like the fuel tank should be removed for easy access to the cam cover. All pretty straight forward to check clearances with a feeler gauge. Problem comes in when a setting is off and requires a different (thickness) shim. The dealers shop may have them, but you won't.

Excellent point this. May also need a special tool to compress the valves SAFELY to avoid damaging the camshafts or followers. On the plus side, if you run top quality oil you can likely go quite a while between adjustments.

Pete
easyrider likes this.

Pete in Maine

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page