First Freeway Ride - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
First Freeway Ride

First freeway ride, and man was it awesome. From everything I read, a small displacement single would be really hard to manage for long freeway stretches. Guess most of those moto journalists are just big ol' babies. I've been riding and working on old vintage bikes over the last few years, and this was night and day. Even smoother in certain ways than my 4 cylinder CB550F!

Just had to share my excitement. Carry on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, nothing to see here, carry on LOL! Its a really capable little machine.
The Mariner and Adam_F like this.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #3 of 13 Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 AM

Nice to hear. I have not had mine on the highway.

Ducati 996S
Ducati ST4
KTM Duke 390

post #4 of 13 Old 05-01-2015, 05:37 AM

Garage
Yeah, my first ride on the Duke was highway, and if was astonished how smooth it was at and above 70mph. I test rode a Yammy SR400 a few weeks ago and there is absolutely no comparison in terms of engine smoothness nor power, the Duke is miles ahead (figuratively and literally lol). And to think Yamaha wants how much more $$$ for the SR?

Where are all the craftsmen gone?
post #5 of 13 Old 05-01-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Tod View Post
Nice to hear. I have not had mine on the highway.
You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Yeah, my first ride on the Duke was highway, and if was astonished how smooth it was at and above 70mph. I test rode a Yammy SR400 a few weeks ago and there is absolutely no comparison in terms of engine smoothness nor power, the Duke is miles ahead (figuratively and literally lol). And to think Yamaha wants how much more $$$ for the SR?
I know, it's crazy. I had an old sr500 at one point and absolutely loved it. The only place I noticed any vibes at all was in the foot pegs and it was still pretty minimal, especially when compared to that old sr500. I wonder if there are aftermarket pegs out there to reduce vibes? Either way, no vibrations at all in the handle bars or anywhere else for that matter.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Location: Nilgiris - Where everything is in a relaxed state of tune!
Welcome aboard. Glad to see you loving her! Pics would add some dash don't you think!

Cheers!
V

Fool me once - Shame on you
Fool me twice - I'll kick your @rse

Honda CBR 250R ABS | Suzuki Shogun 2S | Hyundai Accent GLS 1.6 ABS | KTM Duke 390 | Next ?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-02-2015, 12:35 AM

Garage
I've done a few thousand klm weekends on the Duke and it does it no problem, that is until the roads open up and your riding with big bikes that are cruising at 160kph, fuel consumption and range take a hammering once you start crusing above 120 or so.

For more normal highway work it is fine and it is miles ahead of the Duke 200 and most other small nakeds on the market. It is also very respectable 2 up.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-02-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dala View Post
I've done a few thousand klm weekends on the Duke and it does it no problem, that is until the roads open up and your riding with big bikes that are cruising at 160kph, fuel consumption and range take a hammering once you start crusing above 120 or so.

For more normal highway work it is fine and it is miles ahead of the Duke 200 and most other small nakeds on the market. It is also very respectable 2 up.
Ha! Totally had to google a KPH to MPH conversion. If I was cruising down the highway at 160kph (99+ mph), I'd be more worried about being arrested here in the states than keeping up with my buddies. I ended up taking the passenger pegs off because my wife wants to ride with me less and less. Guess she feels less comfortable leaning hard into corners than I do. haha
xplorguy and mejetski2000 like this.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Garage
I swung into my Yamaha dealer yesterday and let the salesman who sold me my FZ09 take the Duke for a ride. He said it felt more stable than a FZ07 he just rode. Go figure, everyone at the dealer came out to scope out the Duke, very positive responses.

Pete
malJohann likes this.

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejetski2000 View Post
I swung into my Yamaha dealer yesterday and let the salesman who sold me my FZ09 take the Duke for a ride. He said it felt more stable than a FZ07 he just rode. Go figure, everyone at the dealer came out to scope out the Duke, very positive responses.

Pete
Nice! That's great to hear. I was seriously considering an fz07. I've heard they're amazing, but need suspension upgrades asap. That on top of a new exhaust system, I figured I might as well buy a newer street triple r. The little duke is just so much bang for the buck! Would love to test ride a 690 to see how it compares to the 390.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page