Newby rear spring adjustment question - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Luc

(Thread Starter)
Newby rear spring adjustment question

Hello again!

OK, so I worked up my courage to ask to you guys ;-)

But seriously, having not much motorcycle experience, I have absolutely no clue what to look for in spring adjustment. I haven't even touched it yet. I ride mainly solo, but do have a pilion ride from time to time.

Is it possible at all for you to communicate "feeling" through a response on a forum? I sure would hope so!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 11:47 AM

It's quite a personal choice to be honest. Going to depend on how heavy you are, your riding style and what your road surfaces are like.
Are you running the Pirellis?
I am 185lbs, the roads around me are a mix of decent country black top lanes and rough concrete city streets. I started on #3 setting and it is fairly decent, with little to no rebound on the smooth stuff. I'm going to go up a couple of clicks and try that.
Do not set it for when you are carrying a passenger, as your riding style will change drastically then. Just crank it up a bit when you do. Doesn't take two minutes then put it back once you are done.
Experiment, whats the worse that can happen !

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #3 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Luc

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!

And yeah I forgot to mention, I'm 140 lbs, almost never go on the highway. Back country roads, a mix of 70% asphalt and 30% gravel/dirt. Runing the Pirellis

post #4 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 02:00 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Does anyone have a workable technique for adjusting the rear spring preload without taking the shock off the bike? The manual shows a disembodied hand adjusting the spring with a c-spanner through the bars of the trellis frame. I have tried, but never succeeded at this - it's a devilish task. I would like to be able to make adjustments, but a questionable design makes this quasi-impossible. Help!

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #5 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 02:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to weeksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
Does anyone have a workable technique for adjusting the rear spring preload without taking the shock off the bike? The manual shows a disembodied hand adjusting the spring with a c-spanner through the bars of the trellis frame. I have tried, but never succeeded at this - it's a devilish task. I would like to be able to make adjustments, but a questionable design makes this quasi-impossible. Help!
Tbh mate, no.

I got Smixys bike 1 click harder by luck when in with. Sadly the frame gets in the way for more.

But its a 15 min job getting shock out, we used 2 ratchet straps on grabrails to get it an inch off the floor., couple of mins later, all done. You need to push the hugger down a touch.

Screwdriver through eyelet and in vice or strong mate to hold and get C spanner on it.
post #6 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Luc

(Thread Starter)
Doh.... :-( I was sure there was a way to do it on the fly without removing...
post #7 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
Tbh mate, no.

I got Smixys bike 1 click harder by luck when in with. Sadly the frame gets in the way for more.

But its a 15 min job getting shock out, we used 2 ratchet straps on grabrails to get it an inch off the floor., couple of mins later, all done. You need to push the hugger down a touch.

Screwdriver through eyelet and in vice or strong mate to hold and get C spanner on it.
OK, truly inconvenient ( I have avoided harsher words here), to have to remove the shock to make an adjustment. Especially when you are trying to find the right setting of preload for your riding style and weight. And then have to change for a pillion?
Would it be possible to customize a spanner that would work with the shock in place?
post #8 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Luc

(Thread Starter)
When I get around to playing with it, I will probably cut the actual spanner and weld it back in a way that allows this. Will take pictures when I get to it
xplorguy, Diploman, Hoover and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 02:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to weeksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorguy View Post
OK, truly inconvenient ( I have avoided harsher words here), to have to remove the shock to make an adjustment. Especially when you are trying to find the right setting of preload for your riding style and weight. And then have to change for a pillion?
Would it be possible to customize a spanner that would work with the shock in place?
Possibly, but leverage is an issue as when compressed its fairly stiff to move.
post #10 of 66 Old 06-18-2015, 02:52 PM

Going to go home and try this for myself. My 8 is a bit of a bitch, but the is a way.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page