What gears do you cruise in? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-25-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What gears do you cruise in?

Just curious as Im not sure what is stressful on the motor/transmission. Ive only got 100 miles on the bike so im not sure if it matters as far as break in period or not. I dont rev passed 7k in any of the gears. I find myself in 4th and 5th most of the time and ill stay in between 40-50mph.

Its hard to hear the motor while riding with a helmet so I cant tell if its bogging down if im going too slow in a higher gear. Is there a general rule of thumb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-25-2015, 04:25 PM

Garage
you shouldnt be cruising at a consistent rpm at all during break in... but i like to keep it between 6k and 9k, thats where it feels the most happy

-2015 KTM Duke 390
-2013 Ford F150
-2001 Lexus LS430
-1979 Honda CX500
-1973 Honda CB500
post #3 of 21 Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry, I meant as far as MPH go. I don't cruise much but there are some roads where I need to maintain a certain speed. My question might be a little broad

post #4 of 21 Old 06-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Garage
The more you ride the bike you will get a seat-of-the-pants feel for when you need to shift based on the vibration of the bike. Considering I cannot barely read the tach when I ride, both because it is out of my line of sight and the fact that it is essentially illegible, I just go by feel. You'll get there. For now, as suggested, don't hang at any one engine speed for at least the first 3-400 miles, after that you are pretty much good to start picking up the pace a bit and I doubt you'll do much harm. Still don't crush the rev limiter if you can avoid it.

As to normal riding, because the bike likes to rev, I like to rev it, and since its most at home rolling through twisties I'd say I keep it in the 8-9k range. When I rode from Houston to South Florida I kept it at around 65-75 mph which I think equated to about 7000-7500 rpm in 6th. That, of course, was lots of steady speed riding.
rippedcb likes this.

Where are all the craftsmen gone?
post #5 of 21 Old 06-25-2015, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAF0S View Post
Sorry, I meant as far as MPH go. I don't cruise much but there are some roads where I need to maintain a certain speed. My question might be a little broad

um... pick the speed YOU want, then check to see if the rpm is within range... if its not gear up or down accordingly? maybe? even if you must maintain a certain speed you can still vary your rpm

-2015 KTM Duke 390
-2013 Ford F150
-2001 Lexus LS430
-1979 Honda CX500
-1973 Honda CB500
post #6 of 21 Old 06-26-2015, 02:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to weeksy
T-shirt and shorts... flip flops are negotiable
Ubik, Rusty D, Hoover and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-26-2015, 04:31 AM

Personally, if I'm just cruising along I'll have it in the highest gear it'll happily be in without it 'snatching' or where I can still slowly roll on the throttle without it objecting & needing a down-shift.

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #8 of 21 Old 06-26-2015, 08:39 AM

Single cylinders definitely have a sweet spot, even ones with balance shafts like ours.
You will get used to feeling it. The vibrations will smooth out and you will be right on the power band when you get it right.
This applies for any gear you are in. I'm finding I never hit 6th in town, even on some of our freeway sections. 55 mph, 5th gear, just over 5k.
Don't lug it and you can't really go wrong. These things like to be revved
Sid and STAF0S like this.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Garage
Huh, I thought this was a thread about Al Pacino...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	al-pacino-cruising.jpg
Views:	2000
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	9193  
Hoover and Bigshankhank like this.

There is so much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-26-2015, 08:31 PM

I am thinking if you can't easily accelerate you are in too high of a gear. This bike readily complains if you don't keep the rpm's up..and sixth gear is just not working for me unless I am going at least 65 mph.........
mejetski2000 likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page