Spal Fan Instal How To - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 Old 06-30-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Spal Fan Instal How To

Faced with imminent failure, a lack of parts and dealerships many miles away, many of us have gone the route of installing an after market fan to avoid possible weeks of down time.
I did mine last night, took about 50 mins from start to finish. For those that are considering it, and perhaps are a little "mechanically challenged", here is a step by step guide. Hope this helps.
Fan : Spal 30103011 5.2" puller fan. I purchased mine from here. Took 48 hours to arrive.
A1 Electric Automotive Accessories, Power windows, Power door locks, keyless entry systems, Window motors, Window regulators, Pop door kits
Tools needed: 8mm, 10mm sockets and ratchet. 10mm wrench. Pliers. wire cutters/crimpers. Dremmel and cut off wheel. Heat shrink butt connectors. Funnel. Drain pan. Engine Ice.

Step 1.
Remove the belly pan and undo coolant drain bolt (8mm)

Step 2.
Remove radiator cap and using pliers, loosen hose clamps and pull off hoses. (1 upper, 1 lower and 1 from reservoir.

Step 3.
Unplug white power lead. (Turn bars all the way to the right)

Step 4.
Unbolt 4 10mm mounting bolts and carefully remove radiator

Step 5.
Remove 3 10mm nuts securing fan to radiator and remove fan. Offer up new fan and note which tab needs to be trimmed. (Upper right)

Step 6.
Using a Dremmel and cut off wheel, trim around 1/4" off the tab (be careful)

Step 7.
Mount the new fan, using BLUE Locktite.

Step 8.
Cut off the plugs from each fan. I left some extra length to make it easier to plug it back in. Then, using heatshrink butt connectors, attach OEM plug to new fan. Make sure you seal them well, remember where this wiring is located.

Step 9.
Re-instal fan and reconnect hoses and plug in the wiring.

Step 10.
If at this time, you are going to switch to Engine Ice, follow my guide in the Engine Ice thread (too lazy to re type it). If you are putting coolant back in, just make sure you remove the bleeder screw on the top left corner of the radiator and re-fill system. Run the bike and check for leaks, top off the reservoir. Wait for the fan to kick in to check your wiring.

Results:
As I did when I put EI in, I checked the temps with my I/R heat gun.
Fan still kicks in at around 200, but now, instead of running for minutes, it brought the temperature down 20 degrees in less than 30 seconds. Much quieter too.

This is not a difficult job and I can recommend doing it. For those of you concerned about this voiding any warranty, I suggest you take a minute and read this link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Hope this helps..Time to ride .

Current bikes:
Yamaha FZ8
KTM 390 Duke in faster white
Ruckus
XR100

Madison WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 06-30-2015, 11:13 AM

Garage
Well Hoover, you've done it again. Excellent " How To " .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Burns-2.jpg
Views:	27026
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	9601  

saluti e buona fortuna a tutti I me I compagni di paisano !
2015 KTM 390 >< 2006 Vespa GTS250ie >< 2000 Aprilia RS50 Race Replica >< 2014 Mustang GT
post #3 of 106 Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM

Garage
Bravo Hoover, thanks for documenting this with photo's and great narrative (Pete was in a big hurry and slacked taking pics, yes, I suck).

I will now return to my lazy inactive state knowing you have helped countless other potential Kinetic fan failure peeps by picking up my slack ; )

Pete
Hoover likes this.

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 106 Old 06-30-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok, road test report.
Sorry if this is getting old to some, but I plan on us riding our 390 every day possible. I do not believe, given the huge numbers of fan failures we are seeing (just on forums...god knows how many others that are not on forums...yes, that's a dig) that this is a random thing.
I feel that this is a major issue, and those that have not had a failure are either a: Lucky or b: living on borrowed time.

It was 80 degrees when I left work today. i deliberately took the most tedious, traffic infested, stop and go route possible.
Firstly it took around 15 mins longer to hit -2 bars than just with EI, then, when the fan did kick in, it only ran for 30-45 seconds. Took 3-4 mins for it to kick in again. Instead of the temp gauge staying at -2, it dropped to -3 every time.

I don't think it's just the fan speed or efficiency, I think that as it's a puller, the stock fan had no where to move the hot air to, due to the shroud. Losing the shroud gives the air somewhere to go, (my knees and shins). I'll deal with that.

This thing works. If you want to ride your bike, I would highly suggest you think about this.
Yes, I know that some fans are fine...mine was...but for how long???

Current bikes:
Yamaha FZ8
Ruckus
XR100

Madison WI
post #5 of 106 Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 PM

Excellent write-up & photos Hoover. Thanks

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #6 of 106 Old 07-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Garage
STICKY Please !!

Pete
Hoover likes this.

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 106 Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
I think that as it's a puller, the stock fan had no where to move the hot air to, due to the shroud. Losing the shroud gives the air somewhere to go, (my knees and shins). I'll deal with that.

Interesting. I just checked mine (Feb 2014 build date I think) and there is no shroud on the (stock) fan. And I think it is a puller as it does dump hot air on my legs and when it gets going at a stop.

If I remember correctly, the change in design (shroud and pushing air) comes from owners in warmer climates complaining of legs roasting in traffic. There might even have been talks of a 2-way fan that would push under XX km/h and pull otherwise (which would be completely useless as airflow would take care of that then).

I can see how the shroud would also reduce the cooling efficiency while moving.
post #8 of 106 Old 07-02-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
puller fan
why not pusher? arent they more efficient?
post #9 of 106 Old 07-02-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjin View Post
why not pusher? arent they more efficient?
On the back of the radiator, no. A pusher would be pushing the air through, just for it to get forced back while riding. The puller "sucks" more air through.
A pusher would have to be mounted to the front. There is some discussion that ours is both. That the direction changes when the bike is not moving.
I can tell you, this is not the case. My shins can guarantee you that our fan is a puller when sitting still.
This is why the shroud is a hindrance, it means the hot air can only escape through the small gap in the bottom of the shroud.

Current bikes:
Yamaha FZ8
Ruckus
XR100

Madison WI
post #10 of 106 Old 07-02-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strapontin View Post
Interesting. I just checked mine (Feb 2014 build date I think) and there is no shroud on the (stock) fan. And I think it is a puller as it does dump hot air on my legs and when it gets going at a stop.

If I remember correctly, the change in design (shroud and pushing air) comes from owners in warmer climates complaining of legs roasting in traffic. There might even have been talks of a 2-way fan that would push under XX km/h and pull otherwise (which would be completely useless as airflow would take care of that then).

I can see how the shroud would also reduce the cooling efficiency while moving.
US bikes are puller only.

Current bikes:
Yamaha FZ8
Ruckus
XR100

Madison WI

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page