Crashbars or frame sliders? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Crashbars or frame sliders?

What offers better protection, the crash bars or frame sliders? KTM offers crash bars with an attached slider. There's the SW Motech crash bars with no slider. Various frame sliders, KTM's own, R&G, Evotech. Do front axle and swingarm sliders offer additional protection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 06:22 AM

Howdy,

You'll get many opinions about what's best, based on the level of protection offered & appearance.

As far as I'm concerned, crash protection is all about keeping the expensive parts of the bike off the ground in the event it slides down the road or even just falls of the sidestand. Anything that will achieve this without putting the rider at risk is a good thing.

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I went the Power Parts route on this all the way, with axle sliders both ends and crash bars with bungs. The KTM crash bars provide some protection for feet too, and lower extremity injuries are predominant in motorcycle accidents, so I felt this extra protection was an added bonus.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Garage
They also offer a bit of protection for the engine cases. That's one reason I went with the KTM setup. It does add a few pounds, but the weight is low and forward which is a good thing.

Lighter makes it righter!
post #5 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 11:25 AM

I have installed ktm crash bars with sliders attached in both sides from the first day that i buyed my duke

I fell off my bike this winter in an icy road.. the center of gravity was lost in secs & the bike fall with me and slide along the roadway had about 40-50 km/h) 100meters distance..i placed my feet between the crash bars(not a really good idea but..) the crashbars didint even move, they saved my legs & engine from sure damage ..
i surely recommend this ktm products.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitleda.gif
Views:	4861
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	9905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4781.jpg
Views:	1810
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	9913  

\xz

post #6 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 PM

i had the power parts crash bars fitted to my duke 125 and i had an unfortunate accident in october last year, car hit the left side of my bike bounced it across the road, crash bars prevented my foot from being crushed and also stopped the engine from being smashed as the bike bounced across the road, bars were bent but saved major damage in taking the impact would definatley recommend ktm crash bars
post #7 of 13 Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Luc

I've got the SW-Motech, like them pretty much but they've never been put to use, and hope the never do...
post #8 of 13 Old 07-08-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I like the look of the SW-Motech's, but the KTM's are color matching. Not sure about the sliders on the KTM's, they look like they were added on after the fact. Would the crash bars without the sliders suffice? Which of the two are sturdier?

The R&G frame slider is very clean, but would it provide similar protection to the crash bars?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R&G Frame sliders KTM.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	9937  
post #9 of 13 Old 07-08-2015, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The R&G might keep the engine off the road, until it wears down, that's about it.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-08-2015, 07:41 AM
KTMDukeForum.com Vendor

Guys, don't forget we have (what we feel are) the highest quality sliders out, made, stocked, and shipped instantly from the USA, and at pricing better than the rest as well...

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...e-sliders.html

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...0-sliders.html
mejetski2000 likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page