390 exhaust clarification - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-07-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
390 exhaust clarification

My new 390 sounds like a sewing machine with the stock exhaust. If I go with a slip-on exhaust will I have to make any other changes to the bike. I want an exhaust that sounds better but not change a bunch of stuff, performance is fine for me at this point. Recommendations or any exhaust to stay away from from a quality standpoint etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-07-2015, 04:01 PM

Buy a K&N drop in filter. Changes the sound of the bike completely
Bizare likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-07-2015, 04:36 PM

If you buy a slip on, and do only that, you will not need to make any changes to the fuel or ignition maps. As this bike has a cat, adding a slip on will barely alter anything but the sound,

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-07-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
If you buy a slip on, and do only that, you will not need to make any changes to the fuel or ignition maps. As this bike has a cat, adding a slip on will barely alter anything but the sound,
Does anyone make a slip on? I've never seen one. I mean are you taking about leaving on the cat and adding a muffler?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2015, 09:27 PM

Hi,

There's been lots of discussion here about the value of an aftermarket exhaust with no other fuel/ignition mods and it seems that about all you buy is a different exhaust note. Performance remains about the same or in some extreme cases can get worse in places.

Stafos is correct... changing to a K&N or DNA air filter changes the sound of the bike to the rider, but whether it gives any performance gain (some say it gets worse) or changes the sound to passers-by hasn't been confirmed.

Have you read this thread about changing the stock exhaust?
mejetski2000 likes this.

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #6 of 11 Old 08-12-2015, 04:34 AM

Hi I have just joined the forum and I was wondering if the arrow exhaust will work with the mounting bracket for the akrapovic exhaust I have taken the passager foot pegs off
post #7 of 11 Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 AM

I am very happy with the MIVV Suomo exhaust from MNNTHBX in Knoxville. These guys are specializing in the 390 Duke (as well as Grom and Ruckus) and they know their stuff. I also bought the K&N filter and open airbox cover (a beautiful piece of CNC artistry) as well as a Bazzaz piggyback controller for the ECU. MNNTHBX is working on a base map for the Bazzaz, but I am digging deep and paying for a dyno tune. I will report the results. The stock exhaust was a BITCH to remove (I think they built the bike around it!) but the MIVV went on easily and sounds great even with the DB Killer installed. One of the nice features (I believe this is true) of the BAZZAZ is that it has switchable maps. I will have one map for the DB Killer installed and one without. Though I started the bike and allowed it to idle for 15 minutes to enable the ECU to adapt to the new exhaust, the engine now runs very lean, and surging at part throttle as well as popping on closed throttle is more noticeable than with the stock exhaust. I do run ethanol free premium fuel as often as possible.
Hoover likes this.

1973 Yamaha RD350 restomod
2009 Kawasaki KLX 250
2004 Yamaha FJR1300
2015 KTM Duke 390
2009 Aprilia 125 RS
post #8 of 11 Old 08-12-2015, 10:02 PM

Garage
I believe that any of the aftermarket exhausts that delete the center silencer and run only one muffler will lean the bike out substantially, especially since almost all of the US bikes are saddled with Cali-compliant emission restrictions. While we're not stuck with air injection systems (yay) KTM went the cheap way by cutting fuel completely (or seemingly) on deceleration, which becomes even worse with non-factory exhausts. Free-flowing air boxes and filters only add to the problem unless fuel to air ratio is enriched. A factory-style twin chamber exhaust system will have less impact on overall driveability IMO than a wide-open or radically altered air intake system, especially if a DB killer remains in place, especially on a bike with a pre-existing lean condition (like the US-spec Duke). I think the auto-tuning feature of these controllers offers the best chance of resolving the lean condition short of dyno tuning.
Diploman likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390mom View Post
My new 390 sounds like a sewing machine with the stock exhaust. If I go with a slip-on exhaust will I have to make any other changes to the bike. I want an exhaust that sounds better but not change a bunch of stuff, performance is fine for me at this point. Recommendations or any exhaust to stay away from from a quality standpoint etc.
I completely agree with you. My sounded like a lawnmower before i installed the DNA filter. Now it sounds like a bigger-deeper lawnmower. I would like to have change the sound as well, but one of the major appealing feature i like about this bike is the hidden exhaust. I hate the fact that i have to have 3' pipe hanging beside my bike... wasted space IMO lol. I've been looking at a GPR Ghost series exhaust for my RC. It replaces the current original and seems really well made. The only thing is, that would mean (for me) getting a piggy back as well. That's about $1000 investment total. I don't have issue with spending that money if i'm going to be keeping this bike for the next 4-5 yrs. I'm just not ready to make that commitment yet. So i wait
Bizare likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-13-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAF0S View Post
Buy a K&N drop in filter. Changes the sound of the bike completely
i use k&n for 5-6 days now, exhaust sounds a bit lower than before and i think its reving better between 2nd -3rd gear i haven't seen any power gains or they are so small that you cant even notice..

\xz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page