KTM 390 Life expectation - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
KTM 390 Life expectation

Hi Guys,
So over the weekend i took the plunge and decided to keep the bike for few yrs and thus went ahead and ordered my pipe and a piggy back. Should arrive here in a week or so.

So my question is.. what do you guys think would be realistic life span for a high performing single cylinder engine? It really hurt spending $1000 on $6000 bike to fix the fuel/air ratio but oh well, if this bike will last me a few yrs.. then it was worth the price. If i'm able to get 50K out of this machine, i'd consider this money very well spent. What do you guys think? Of course doing all the maintenance on time and using only good fuel/fluids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 03:54 PM

Garage
The way you "North of The Border" guys ride I give you 5 years or 20K miles LOL. Seriously, there's a few mileage related threads around here. Since a compression and leak down test would give some insight I'd at least compare my engine to what the book says I should have and start tracking it annually. Most engine manufacturers recommend overhaul when the engine has lost about 20-25% compression from as-new measurement. I suspect until us NA owners accrue some time in service your best source for info will be with Asian or Far East market areas.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM

One thing with a single, small motor...when it does let go, a new one won't be that spendy!!
mejetski2000 likes this.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
One thing with a single, small motor...when it does let go, a new one won't be that spendy!!
Good point and good to know.. does make me feel better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejetski2000 View Post
The way you "North of The Border" guys ride I give you 5 years or 20K miles LOL. Seriously, there's a few mileage related threads around here. Since a compression and leak down test would give some insight I'd at least compare my engine to what the book says I should have and start tracking it annually. Most engine manufacturers recommend overhaul when the engine has lost about 20-25% compression from as-new measurement. I suspect until us NA owners accrue some time in service your best source for info will be with Asian or Far East market areas.
Hey.. us Canadians know how to ride lol. But honestly, 20K miles = 32K Km's.. i'd be happy with that. That would give me 4-5 summers of riding and that's not too bad for a cheap bike. And i really don't want to compare my bike to Asian/Far east markets. I think that's an unfair comparison.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 07:44 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
We have heard from several Duke owners who have accumulated over 20K kms on their bikes to date. No reports yet of engine rebuilds needed. Mostly electrical problems. Longevity at this point is really speculative, but could be longer than many imagine for a well-maintained bike. Much depends on maintenance, quality of oil and fluids, riding style, road conditions and exposure to adverse elements such as rain, fog, dust and mud.

When it does eventually come time for a rebuild, the 390 mono presents the advantage of simplicity vis a vis multicylinder engines: only ONE piston, set of rings, bearing shells, valves, valve guides, versus 2-3-4 times as many for other engine configurations.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #6 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedcb View Post
Good point and good to know.. does make me feel better

Hey.. us Canadians know how to ride lol. But honestly, 20K miles = 32K Km's.. i'd be happy with that. That would give me 4-5 summers of riding and that's not too bad for a cheap bike. And i really don't want to compare my bike to Asian/Far east markets. I think that's an unfair comparison.

Ripped, I know THAT

Now parking at Old Orchard Beach is a whole 'nother issue

Be safe brother
rippedcb likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 08:50 PM

A very good question! Unfortunately, they haven't been around long enough to find out. (And let's leave out mention of when they get nicked? because that is like farting at a garden party.) Perhaps someone here couls set up a section devoted to total mileage/costs incurred?
post #8 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 10:50 PM

Garage
Just a side note (sorry to hijack a thread) does anyone have a service manual or link to one? My bike being bought here in Nam, only came with a user manual and not a service one eg. 5k service this needs to be checked....

As living in a country where we use bikes daily, I know I will be clocking up the km's pretty quickly, and as the original poster was asking, about the life span. The down side faced here is not the proper KTM service centres with all the whizz bang fancy gear. But I wouldnt mind being a test guinea pig for any 'life span' testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11957158566_151624f087_b.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	13530  

Aust: YZF-R1, Phil: Ninja 650R, Viet: Duke 390... a bike for everywhere.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-28-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty D View Post
Just a side note (sorry to hijack a thread) does anyone have a service manual or link to one? My bike being bought here in Nam, only came with a user manual and not a service one eg. 5k service this needs to be checked.....
here you go:

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...html#post50065
Rusty D likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-29-2015, 01:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to weeksy
Mine should last about 40 years then if my mileage is anything to go by !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page