Looking for exhaust options - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-27-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Red face Looking for exhaust options

Just picked up the Duke, and I think an exhaust is the first order of business. I'd like something a little throaty, but not too obnoxious...a deeper tone.

This dual under seat ixil looks really clean and sounds sick in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y93GuPa1K-U

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is losing the passenger pegs.

Any other similar looking and sounding options? Looking for a combination of sound, power gains, and weight savings.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-27-2016, 02:45 PM

take the akra because you will get also the remap, so you don't have to pay for piggyback ECU. I dono about the akra map, but i suppose its gonna be richer than stock. Akra has nice sound also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1Gi5g_vkY
post #3 of 13 Old 03-27-2016, 04:59 PM
KTMDukeForum.com Vendor

If it's to high mount under tail you like, the only real option is the Yosh. As for low mounts, we carr the MIVVs only because we feel they're the best priced, best performing, and of stunning quality. Keep an eye on Motorcyclist Magazine's review of the system on their long term 390. Obviously, there's more than one good option though...
mejetski2000 and Trimapa like this.

www.MNNTHBX.com

post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2016, 04:24 PM

Garage
http://youtu.be/dUHq2SBnPAY
This is the Fuel F1 that's fitted to my wife's duke 390 ...it's a far deeper throaty tone than the duel Ixills that I have on mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	20274  
mejetski2000 likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 PM

Garage
The Mivv stuff is really nice stuff. My only bitch is the hardness of the rivit they use to hold the db killer in place, took a long time with a new ti drill bit to remove on my BMW system. Welds, bends and carbon fiber are superb.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-28-2016, 08:38 PM
KTMDukeForum.com Vendor

The MIVV Suonno has a bolt in db killer. I have drilled the GP though, and like you said, it was tough...
post #7 of 13 Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
If you've just received your Duke, it would seem rather premature to conclude already that the stock exhaust needs to be swapped for an aftermarket unit. You don't appear to be giving the OEM exhaust much of a chance, or any credibility. Before you rush into spending many hundreds of $ on an aftermarket exhaust, consider this: The 390's factory exhaust is a carefully-engineered, highly-tuned unit that extracts excellent HP and torque from the motor - so much so that aftermarket 390 exhaust vendors struggle to match the stock unit. If you fit many currently-available aftermarket exhausts you are likely to experience power and/or torque loss; worse, you will be changing the engine's air/fuel ratio (AFR). For emissions purposes, the 390's engine is factory-mapped very lean. Fitting an aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket air filter or modified airbox lid will alter the bike's AFR towards a hyper-lean condition that can do serious engine damage. If you really feel the need to modify these components, these AFR-sensitive changes should be done in conjunction with fitting a fuel controller that can adjust AFR to a safe level.

Downsides to the stock exhaust: It is rather heavy (includes a catalytic converter); bulky; will make the underwhelming OEM shock perform even worse by transferring heat. Advantages: Makes good power; perfectly mass-centralized; invulnerable to damage in a crash; emissions controlled; it has a civilized, fairly quiet tone; it comes FREE, included with your Duke. For the price of an aftermarket exhaust, you can fit many upgrades that are actually useful. The 390's exhaust tone seems to be a source of controversy: many owners are happy with the controlled, unobtrusive exhaust note; others crave something more raucous. A 373 mono, realistically, is hardly the ideal bike to emulate a Harley. Does a loud exhaust convey some "macho" quality? To some, perhaps, but this sort of machismo is about as functional as oversized tires - ie, not at all.

The only aftermarket exhaust currently on the market that can match the stock unit for central location and compactness is the Werkes USA unit. The Werkes' main advantage is lightweight construction, yielding a significant weight savings over the OEM piece. There is no documented evidence of power gains with the Werkes, however, but the unit is reported to be VERY loud. Lightweight and loud would at least check two of your boxes (for a handsome price). But it would still be dangerous for your engine's health to run this unit without a fuel controller.

Why not just live with the stock exhaust for a few months before you decide that it has to go? It's the most compatible thing available for your engine, works very well, and you could do many good things for your bike for the price of an aftermarket exhaust that has dubious, possibly negative, benefits. You may come to appreciate that the KTM engineers who designed the OEM exhaust are no fools.
Ubik, bahawton, millhouse and 3 others like this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

Last edited by Diploman; 03-28-2016 at 09:06 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2016, 12:23 AM

Yep, what Diploman said.
bahawton likes this.

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #9 of 13 Old 03-29-2016, 02:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mariner View Post
Yep, what Diploman said.
X2 Not only is a good quality exhaust quite a bit of money where it may alter the sound it will not give you much of a power increase without remapping or a piggy back ECU . Not to mention what @Diploman said earlier about the possible damage caused by not remapping the engine .
So for the amount you'll spend on an exhaust you can get yourself a piggyback ECU , a good air filter and open airbox lid : This combination will result in less surging and juttering that the Duke 390 is infamous for and produce nearly the same sound effect you are most likely after .
bahawton likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 PM

I was just looking at the under tail dual exhaust from Yosh for the RC390. Wonder if it would fit under the tail of a Duke390?

Ducati 996S
Ducati ST4
KTM Duke 390

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page