Can the Duke 390 Handle my new commute? (80 miles to/from; ~60 miles being fwy) - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-06-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Can the Duke 390 Handle my new commute? (80 miles to/from; ~60 miles being fwy)

Hey everyone,

My new engine is running very smoothly at the moment, but I still have less than 600 miles on the new engine.

I will be starting a new job in a few weeks and the commute is now significantly greater (80 miles both ways instead of 11 miles both ways). The commute will be approximately 10 miles of back roads (Approx 50-55mph through the mountains) and then about 30 miles on the freeway (Carpool) where average speed seems to be around 70-75mph. I weigh about 145lbs.

Do you guys think the Duke 390 can handle this type of commute? I will likely increase the service frequency and tackle the service myself after the bike is out of warranty.

Thanks,
Andrew
tikimonsterj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-06-2016, 02:26 PM

Garage
Easily. Mine is considerably smoother at nearly 1000 miles than it was before 600 service and I've heard they just get better and better.
Time will tell how many miles until they start to decline, but many users report 10,000+ and no issues.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Garage
How many 10,000 mile — 17,000 km + bikes out there? (Do you own one?) Any 50,000 mile bikes...? Any 390s in India making that kind of milage?

...age is always advancing and I am fairly sure it's up to no good.

- Jim Butcher

post #4 of 30 Old 06-06-2016, 07:19 PM

Can the Duke 390 Handle my new commute? (80 miles to/from; ~60 miles being fwy)

The Duke is an impressive bike that can handle a lot. I'm sure it will meet your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk if it can handle this. I'm sure it will work for work. Haha...
HedsKatoom and 640 like this.

Last edited by hondafteam; 06-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-07-2016, 12:29 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
I think perhaps the better question is: Can YOU handle 800 weekly miles of moto commuting, week in, week out?

Cruising at a quasi-constant speed between 55-75 MPH on a back road or major highway will be the easiest miles your bike can enjoy, without frequent braking, acceleration, speed changes, gear shifts, full power operation or major stress. Certainly much more benign for the bike than stop-and-go urban operation.

However, 800 miles per week of commuting before or after a full workday will put considerable wear and tear on the rider. A lot of time in the saddle. What about rain? Other inclement weather? Does it get cold in your area? Bad weather will exponentially increase the stress of riding. Do you have a car for bad weather days?

In any event, you should do all you can to reduce wear and tear on the rider:
Good quality protective gear, hi-viz, the full Monty, no skimping; ear plugs; a safe, comfortable helmet with a quality visor; a rainsuit if you will be rained upon; a waterproof tank or tail bag; handguards (with muffs if cold); an electric vest or inner jacket for cold temps; and certainly, a good quality windscreen to mitigate the fatiguing windblast.

The bike, if maintained and adjusted regularly, should hold up well, although at the present state of our knowledge and experience, the 390 engine's lifespan is completely unknown. You will want to look for long-wearing touring tires, rather than grippy sport rubber. You are talking about potentially putting on 40K miles per year. That will undoubtedly put the Duke to a longevity test beyond anything seen in North America to date. Sprockets, chains and tires will need replacing periodically, and it would be prudent to have water pump and countershaft seals on hand, along with a replacement head gasket.

The real question, though, is whether the rider is up to that much saddle time, day after day. You will need to take as much of the load/stress off yourself as possible, then eat well and get plenty of sleep. With fortitude, it's possible.
640 and G19Tony like this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #6 of 30 Old 06-07-2016, 12:38 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
I think I misinterpreted your phrase "80 miles to/from". I think you probably meant 80 miles round-trip, not each way. Still a lot of saddle time and miles. 20K per annum. But 80 miles per day is unquestionably more feasible than 160 per day.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #7 of 30 Old 06-07-2016, 02:23 AM

Garage
Very much convinced that the Duke 390 can handle that mileage with ease : Like with all motorized vehicles you just need to respect the service intervals and be attentive to spot irregularities before they become serious issues .
post #8 of 30 Old 06-07-2016, 05:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
I think perhaps the better question is: Can YOU handle (800) 400 weekly miles of moto commuting, week in, week out?
I know which part I couldn't handle - the f***ing chain maintenance.

Here are some options that don't involve spending a ridiculous amount of money on the completely over the top Scottoiler E system :

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

https://www.motobriiz.com/

Might not be so bad if Bajaj/ KTM had fitted a decent quality chain, but there have been other reports on here of the stock chain being replaced at low miles and at 3750 miles I'm looking to replace mine as it has significant tight spots. Quite staggering for a 44hp bike at this mileage.

Less is more - You can only use 150hp .001% of the time, but you can use 150kg 100% of the time ...........

2015 390 Duke / 2001 KTM 640 Duke2 / 1994 DR350 (in bits)

Last edited by 640; 06-07-2016 at 05:17 AM.
post #9 of 30 Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 AM

No problem. My wife does it every day and has put almost 10K on the Duke.
Diploman and bcutler2003 like this.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-08-2016, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to suplitas
I drive 70 mile round trip with 40 of that being on the freeway. The freeway is tough with the wind but it is doable and not too bad. I am working on finding some more backroads to get off the freeway for a few miles. Makes the trip a little longer but adds some fun.
Diploman, bcutler2003 and G19Tony like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page