Suspension Upgrades - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-13-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Suspension Upgrades

Just purchased a 2015 390 Duke. I weight around 165lbs. and the non adjustable suspension in stock configuration is quite stiff. Went on the first real ride yesterday up through Calistoga counrty and this thing is a blast. Top half of 4th gear on this liquid cooled thumper is a dream in the twisties, but I digress... If it had adjustable susp. I would dial down compression in the rear a good bit. Up front , back off compression and rebound as well.

Is there a rear shock swap that can be made on this bike? Anything that's plug and play that will give me some adjustment?

Any experienced rider close to my weight have front fork springs replaced?

Snellvis

Last edited by Snellvis; 06-13-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-13-2016, 08:28 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
You are correct that the stock rear shock can be extremely harsh. Compliance is poor, damping is non-adjustable, inconsistent and varies with heat transfer from the exhaust cannister, and the spring preload is difficult to adjust. You are not the first owner to think about replacing the rear shock as one of the very first mods to the bike.

Premium rear shocks are available in the US from Ohlins and JRi (see HardRacing). They are not inexpensive. YSS makes a suitable shock at a mid range price. In Europe shocks for the 390 are available from Wilbers, Nitro, Hyper Pro, M Shock and others.

One low-cost mod that has become popular is a conversion of the shock from a Yamaha R6. This mod was developed by Matt Schreiner of Formula390, a Texas-based suspension/aftermarket parts shop. Relevant info here:

Shock Swap with 99-02 R6

Straight-rate front fork springs are available from Race Tech and other sources. Andreani fork cartridges are another effective front suspension upgrade.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #3 of 21 Old 07-06-2016, 05:12 PM

I am 157lbs. The stock shock was a disappointment as I am very anal about suspension. Swapping the spring would give you a lot better performance, but the internals on the stock shock are still very basic and not as refined as aftermarket for tweaking.

I installed a Ohlins KT-303 shock on my bike. The shock was easy to install and took about an hour. It made a huge change to the way the bike handles now.
The photo shows the shock installed, although I have now moved the reservoir from the frame to a location under the saddle.

I also installed Andreani fork cartridge kit, as the stock forks are pretty sad on this bike.

Currently - '15 Kawi Versys 1000, '15 KTM Duke 390, '09 Daytona (track only)
Previously - '13 Multistrada, '13 F800GS, '13 MV F3, '10 S1000RR, '04 Royal Enfield 500, '97 Yamaha RX135, '90 Yamaha RD350...and many more.

Last edited by shashankmittal; 07-06-2016 at 05:15 PM.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 AM

Spring upgrade for stock shock

I find the stock rear shock/spring setup 'harsh' on the rough inner-city roads around my place, and so I have been looking for a 'plusher' cost-effective upgrade for the rear shock for some time...

Took the bike to Teknik Motorsport where Nick and Daniel sorted me out with a new linear Ohlins spring adapted to the standard shock for a couple of hundred bucks and I couldn't be happier - great bang-for-buck given that I didn't want a whole new shock. Didn't notice any change on the freeway, but much more 'compliant' over the lumps and bumps of concrete and bitumen that pass for roads around inner Sydney.

If I recall correctly, they said that the shock has very little compression damping - and my view was that I seemed to be constantly on the transition point of the stock progressive spring.

Details:
- Rider weight ~67KG with gear
- Something like an 8kg/mm nice yellow spring on the stock shock
- They had to machine a collar to adapt it
- (I think) 19mm of 'static sag' whatever that means ;-)
post #5 of 21 Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 AM

I really do not like the progressive springs. I used K-Tech Razor-R as rear shock and Andreani as fork cartridge.
I already modified at least 7 bikes with new suspensions so feel free to ask anything. I already used Traxxion Dynamics, Maxxton from UK, Ohlins, K-teck and so on.
Maxton is a pretty piece of art but very expense since Richard use to provide them to UK SBK.
Welcome to the house of insane Duke´s fan.
Luis
Diploman and Dino like this.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 AM

You can access my mods here.
http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...-mods-diy.html
Luis
post #7 of 21 Old 06-05-2017, 12:48 AM

The rear shock is pretty well tested and used by the members of this and the RC forum.
Does anyone have experience with the Ohlins Universal USD Gold FG324 fork replacements?
Not the cheapest and it involves a lot of other changes but I am curious about personal experiences here (if any).
Never a dull moment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD324.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	37450  
post #8 of 21 Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Those Ohlins replacement forks look good, and I'm sure they work well, like all Ohlins products. Ohlins are also expensive, and doubtless these would be no exception. I looked on their website and found that these forks come in a 43mm version, perfect for the 390. The major difficulty in fitting these forks would be fabricating mounting brackets for the brake caliper(s). The brackets would have to bolt onto the bottom fitting. You would have to design a bracket (it needs to be custom for the 80mm spacing of the ByBre caliper) and have a machine shop fabricate it for you. This would give you the option of changing over to whatever caliper you might want if you are making a custom bracket.

This would produce a very nice, fully adjustable, high quality - and quite expensive - upgrade. I don't know of anyone who has tried these, but I'm sure that with some effort they could be made to work on a Gen1 Duke or RC.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #9 of 21 Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 AM

I'm also starting to think about suspension now I've covered a 1000 miles or so.
The R6 option looks like a good way to go for the rear.
I've searched without success - is there a table of spring vs. rider weight for this upgrade anywhere?
post #10 of 21 Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
I'm also starting to think about suspension now I've covered a 1000 miles or so.
The R6 option looks like a good way to go for the rear.
I've searched without success - is there a table of spring vs. rider weight for this upgrade anywhere?

Freaking love the R6 shock. I'm 190lbs and find the standard spring to be just enough.
This guy here though, he's the guru when it comes to spring weights etc. He's done a bunch of research.

Formula390 - Parts
Diploman and AndyB like this.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page