KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

To our American friends . . .

8K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  Boxer 
#1 ·
. . . Wtf??

#3 ·
Now why are you thinking that? He could very well be referring to the unlikely prospect of the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series. Not everything is politics, you know.

Ummm.....I don't know where you live, shelt, but do you have a spare bedroom I can use for a few years? :D

#6 ·
If you want to know why Trump won look at the little snowflakes rioting right now. The hate that the progressive left has towards middle class America is the reason. We have been called racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynist, and every other name for the past 8 years and finally enough pissed off people spoke up. I have been told for the last 8 years that Obama is the president and I should respect the office, so guess what buttercup, suck it up and deal with it.

#10 ·
I don't know how name calling helps anything. I'm middle class conservative on somethings and liberal on other and I am worried about the racist that gathered around Trump. I do not think that most of his base is racist.

Oh, and as a veteran, I will always respect the office of the president.

Anyway, name calling gets no one anywhere. I know I am not "rioting" but rather sitting at my middle-class cubicle at work. Does that make me a snowflake?

#15 ·
All my friends think the world is ending and only monsters voted for trump so you can see how the snowflake analogy fits. It's just politics... People voted, the majority won, and now we see what happens and repeat in 4 years. I can understand why someone would vote for either candidate but I don't understand all the drama.

#21 ·
Exactly , when Obama got elected many of the " oppressed " minorities thought their lives would change drastically overnight and the *******'s thought they were going to be slaughtered ... 8 years down the road did any of this happen ? Trump could very well be the same story . A lot of expectations and fears for nothing . He's there for at least 4 years , might as well give him a chance . What is there to lose and what is the option anyway ?
In Europe we mostly have to put up with all these " career " politicians : Their only real concern is to get reelected as they have no other means of income .

" Life is like a box of chocolates .. "

Now having said that ... let's talk D390 ! Got a mail in as I was writing this .. my friend may no longer drive down to Spain in a couple weeks with the Ohlins KT303 shock . He therefor shipped it out to me this afternoon and should have it early next week .

#16 ·
BTW I would love to know how this thread is relevant to a KTM Duke General Discussion.

I could be wrong, but my best guess is that any prospective D390 owner reading through the threads a few weeks from now to learn all about their new planned purchase will be less than ecstatic at having to wade several posts into this thread before realising it's got **** all to do with bikes.

I'm as up for a political debate as anyone but there is an off - topic area for this kind of stuff :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Please, guys and ladies,
Up until now we have been very successful at keeping political topics off this forum. Political debate, like religion, can be nothing but incendiary and divisive. Let us be disciplined and keep the interaction here on topic - motorbikes, especially our cherished little Duke 390. At this moment in particular, with so many wounds aching, fear and anger overflowing both in the US and abroad, this is not the time for us to open the floodgates to acrimonious political discussions. Our lovely forum could dissolve into recriminations. Let us keep our forum civil, respectful and on topic. Thanks all.

#19 · (Edited)
.........................Political debate, like religion, can be nothing but incendiary and divisive........ Let us be disciplined and keep the interaction here on topic - motorbikes, especially our cherished little Duke 390...............this is not the time for us to open the floodgates to acrimonious political discussions.
Will, while I acknowledge your concerns are well founded, I do not especially share them (EDIT - although in this particular instance perhaps that's because I'm English and live in the UK).

The forum has an off - topic area and personally I like the odd topic that strays into pastures new (I find that Which oil / tyres / exhaust / fuel controller / insert Duke 390 motorcycle accessory here threads can get a bit samey after a while :) ).

Yes Politics and Religion are potentially incendiary topics, however I think this particular thread has some way to go before it could reach the apparent level of acrimony displayed in a certain "one off" exhaust thread from earlier this year and that like most threads on here it will soon disappear into the internet ether (or at least the bowels of the forum) never to be seen again

#20 ·
I thought that the discussion was respectful and there were minimal personal attacks.

However, it should be in the OT section.

I actually sold a bike last year because two of the forums that supported it were extremely racist and personal and political attacks were the norm. The bike was also a pig and not for me but the forum reinforced a stereotype of people that typically ride those types of bikes and I wanted to have nothing to do with it.I think I lost $4-5k just getting out of that bike.

#24 ·
Not surprisingly, this thread quickly ignited like a box of tinder. Thankfully, all the posters were able to remain respectful and the dialog did not dissolve into epithets or irrational insults. The sudden little fireball we have seen here just reflects how much anxiety, fear and uncertainty are swirling in the contemporary world as a result of recent developments such as Brexit and Trump. Quite understandably, many of us have thoughts and emotions about such things that we need to express. In order for the main 390 discussion area of the forum not to become a political firing range, however, I suggest we try to contain these kinds of discussions to the Off-Topic area of the forum, and leave the 390 discussion area for bike talk.

Reactions: Hooper9216
#25 ·
So, I'm going to go test ride a 390 tomorrow--which is the reason I cam to this forum.

My BMW is serviced by the same dealership and they have both a white and black in stock...

Should be fun. If I wipe out I'll blame Obama (or should I blame Bush) ;)

#26 ·
So, I'm going to go test ride a 390 tomorrow--which is the reason I cam to this forum.

My BMW is serviced by the same dealership and they have both a white and black in stock...

Should be fun. If I wipe out I'll blame Obama (or should I blame Bush)
Get the white one, they're faster.

#32 ·
Black Dukes Matter!!!
Yes, but White Dukes trump Black Dukes.

..I suspect that #shelt may have been trolling or at least didn't realise how much controversy he'd spark with this thread...
I've been suspecting the same, especially since he's just been sitting back with a bucket of popcorn.

Either an apology or a temporary ban is coming soon. I don't particularly appreciate or tolerate trolls.

Reactions: 17353
#30 ·
great - the BBC flagship political programme question time is about to start.

Last week was hilarious - the same audience member incandescent with indignation that :

1) Anyone would vote for Trump

2) Anyone should say that "The UK voted for Brexit" when HE DID NOT

Sadly he is unlikely to be on two weeks running but I'm sure there will be others to take his (indignant) place

Reactions: Boxer
#31 ·
Wow... So many things to say on this topic, particularly with fact checking some of the comments out there, but I won't due to not wanting to stand on the toes of most of the commentators on this thread. Though I strongly disagree with some of the comments out there.
I suspect that #shelt may have been trolling or at least didn't realise how much controversy he'd spark with this thread. Either way as someone else mentioned this has nothing to do with our dukes.

#36 ·
Woah - just caught up on this thread - kinda surprised it's 4 pages! Wasn't really expecting anyone to reply (as not really a question) - it was just a light hearted post I thought may make people smile for a second.
I agree, a motorbike forum isn't the place for in depth political discussion, so if an Admin could lock/delete this thread that would be good :)

#37 ·
a motorbike forum isn't the place for in depth political discussion
Even though you started one - but ok, you (sort of) didn't really mean to :rolleyes:

I also think it depends on the motorcycle forum and it is no surprise to me that this one handled it much better than many others would - just needs to be in the OT section next time.

Like I already said, once you've been on a bike forum a while alot of threads can get kinda samey - so thanks for mixing it up a little :)

#39 ·
I thought this thread was beneficial and for the most part people expressed their views in a mature if not tongue-in-cheek way.

Forums can get boring after a while so sometimes it is fun to mix it up. It is also good to hear other sides of the issue and discuss.

OT would have been more appropriate.

Can we do a ride to the dragon to protest/celebrate the election results?

(For those not in the US who are not familiar: http://tailofthedragon.com/)

#40 ·
I must say i actually enjoyed reading through this thread. Turned out very much tongue in the cheek and mature from our members. The other forums i am on gets really heated and with a lot of insults. Thanks for such a great bunch of people on here that can keep things civil and in perspective. Now for back to the duke - really need to wash my bike the weekend, after a rainy, muddy week :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.