KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Tough decision: 2016 or 2017 Duke

8K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  LongVietnam 
#1 ·
Struggling with a decision on which model to get. The KTM dealer in Saigon just called to offer a further discount on the 2016 D390 model to $6,900.

This may sound like a lot but it is a discount of 25% from 3 months and 30% from 6 months ago as import tax is so high.

The new model is an upgrade but I don't like that it is heavier and has a traditional exhaust. I do like the new console and smartphone integration, new headlight. I love the 2016 model for simplicity and feel the 2017 is a little more refined through additional electronics. I don't need a bigger fuel tank.

Is heat dissipation a problem for the 2016 compared to 2017 model?

The 2017 model in Saigon will likely be a lot more than the discounted 2016 model, as well as probably a long wait.

What would you do? 2016 for $6,900 or new for $8.5-10k in 6-12 months?

#2 ·
For what it's worth, I am getting the 2016 for various reasons.
- I think it is better looking.
- it is lighter.
- nice discount plus additional advantages in Thailand.
- I also am not all that interested in the larger tank.
- I like the head light of the 2017 but can probably get one later to swap.
- Don't want to wait another 6 months (or so).

Good luck on your choice ;)

#3 ·
Go with the 2017. If we could do it over, we probably would not have bought the 2016 Duke. From the horrible throttle, the clunky gearbox, the sub par fit and finish, small gas tank, the mediocre brakes and all the various mechanical failures others have had, the 2017 can only be an improvement.

#4 ·
Well as he has already said he is not bothered about a larger tank, then to me it seems like alot of money to pay for a 20mm larger front brake rotor (and a 10kg weight penalty) as I'm not particularly convinced that all the other things you mention will be particularly different.

As widely reported £25 or so on some HH pads is all the brakes need (after all we're talking a 4 piston radially mounted caliper on a 140kg bike - this bike is hardly what you would call underbraked) and since I junked the sh7t quality standard chain (already full of tight spots at 1400 miles) for a D.I.D. and a chain-oiler the gearchange is fantastic :D

#5 ·
guess this needs to be said again...

The majority of owners have not had any serious mechanical failures. A few fan blade assemblies were not properly installed. As for the throttle and fueling, that is easily fixed. I could have lived with the stock fueling, though. I don't understand the comment about clunky shifting at all. Compared to what? The bigger PP front rotor cost less than half of what one would cost for any Japanese or European bike. There is a thread here about satisfied owners, and I am certainly one.

However, if they were to upgrade the suspenders to fully adjustable that might be worth some extra money. The Andreanis and Ohlins on our 2015 were US$1400. I've read that they changed the forks, but they still aren't adjustable. The new exhaust should sound a bit better than that awful stock fart can. Everything else on the 2017, meh. Especially the styling - took me a while to get used to seeing that garish orange thing in my garage as-is!

#9 ·
No, I replaced the chain (which due to really bad tight spots I had to run generally fairly slack) and it improved the quality of the gearchange.

Am I to assume then that you consider that no matter how worn, badly adjusted and un-lubricated a chain is, replacing it with a correctly adjusted brand new one can have no effect whatsoever on the gearchange?

#7 ·
You replaced the chain and it changed the gearbox. Holy crap, please send me a link to that chain, that is a miracle! I am a little suspicious it will fix the long, clunky travel of the shifter, or the pain in the ass neutral, but if you say so. Maybe it will even smooth out the jerkiness during gear shifts and the front end nose dive!

It is kind of funny how butt hurt people get when you criticize something they own. I obviously have no problem calling out the flaws in what I own. The Duke 390 handles well, is light weight, and has good power and is reasonably priced. That is about it. Quality wise it is not a nice bike. If you ride any Japanese bike you will see the flaws in the KTM a little clearer.

My S1000RR has no flaws. Zero. During my previous 30 years of riding, all my Yamaha's, Honda's, Suzuki's, and Kawasaki's have all been flawless to my standards also. I have never had to change a thing other than cosmetics to make them enjoyable.

#10 ·
It is kind of funny how butt hurt people get when you criticize something they own.
Some people probably do, some others seem to get upset when someone disagrees with them on a forum.

Check out my service / mods thread and you will see I've done quite a few mods, because it needed them. Stock I certainly didn't much care for the spongy brakes, jerky throttle, tight-spotted chain (at 1400 miles), useless mirror position, useless tacho, harsh suspension, inaccessible rear shock adjuster or instrument mount spacers that want to leap into the darkest corner of your garage floor whenever they get the opportunity.

However I love the styling / it's cheap / it's an absolute blast to ride / and it has character, so I don't mind such details, especially given that most of them can be addressed.

25 years ago I had a CBR600 and yes it was flawless in a sense, but I wouldn't want it now - too bland.

#12 ·
@LongVietnam I think it really comes down to you and your personal preference in the end. The styling on this bike has always been somewhat polarizing and the new generation obviously hasn't changed that. As for other features, it's basically impossible to point out anything that will be "improved" as nobody (at least not that I know of) has had a chance to ride a 2017 yet, but I personally am holding out for a 2017, and it is where my vote would go. I prefer the new styling, it's more angular and aggressive, which I think adds to that razor sharp KTM persona/aura and gels well with the slogan and what the company as a whole seems to stand for. I think the my-ride technology and the new screen look phenomenal and will make a significant difference to MY personal riding experience, I'm incredibly optimistic about the ride-by-wire and the confirmed slipper clutch (no more conspiracies or wondering lol) and I'm always in for an upgrade to the stock brakes, not to mention all this covered under warranty, but you have to consider that I'm in Canada and wouldn't be able to ride until the late spring anyways, so the wait time has little to no impact on me, and so doesn't really impact my decision as it does yours.

As for anything else, such as better fueling, or a less jerky throttle, we can hope and dream that those issues, or growing pains have all been addressed with the 2017 upgrades and ride-by-wire (I know I have), but nobody can say for sure yet.

So, really what I think it comes down to is the following two factors:
1) Do you think the new features, upgrades and styling etc. are worth the price premium (I personally do in this case, especially given that this will be my first ever new vehicle)?
2) Are you willing to wait the time it will take to get a 2017 ?

If the answer to either of those is a no, then you have your answer I think. If you responded maybe to either, then I think you need to dive into that question a little more specifically, but unfortunately nobody on the forum has experience with the 2017s to be able to give you a definitive answer yet. If all you're interested in is our opinions, then I'd say the 2017, because that's the bike I'm more excited to own, but the pricing difference for you may make your answer different.

#15 ·
I've got a 2016 and love it. Yes, it has it's quirks/shortcomings but it was a $5000 bike! Of course I was expecting it not to be nearly as refined as a $25,000 bike. The quirks it does have are easy to fix and really don't break the bank. As others have said, nimble/nice ergonomics/ fast enough for eating up city streets and most importantly a blast to ride. I would personally stick with the 2016 just because of the crazy weight gain and exhaust position on the 2017. My .002!

#16 ·
MF! The new mobile software for this site sucks! Thrown away six replies already, and that for either scrolling or changing screen orientation!

The 2017 is heavier primarily due to the slip-on, remove that and you're golden (for weight). KTM tried to respond to common complaints, fuelling, brakes, instrument cluster, fuel tank size, hopefully woeful radiator fan.

I think the most popular mod will be to simply remove the slip-on.

#19 ·
If they refine all that with the 2017 over the 2016 then this bike will be an even better deal at this price point. However, if you can get a good year-end deal and dish out a little cash to fix the small short-comings I'm pretty sure you'd get a better deal with the 2016.

As for the heat, if they richen it up for 2017 that would most likely solve the hot running motor. That probably won't happen as KTM's hands are tied due to different countries strict emissions requirements. I put engine ice in mine, with stock fan and no fueling changes it did help a little bit. I'm confident adding more fuel with a power commander will cool it down.

#18 ·
If you are referring to my last post, then the word in capital letters (THIS) should be a clickable link - did you click on the link?

#28 ·
So LN did you make your decision??? FYI Down here in Kiwiland all the dealers are offering NZ$1000 discounts on the 2016 model. I negotiated an additional $200 when I purchased mine in Feb. and I'm super happy. IMO everything on the 2017 bar the new display is window dressing, and the weight of the old model is unbeatable. Sure there are some rough edges but sorting them out is half the fun. And. what other relatively new model of bike has a forum like this!!??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.