Eli's Duke - The Mod Thread - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
(Thread Starter)
Eli's Duke - The Mod Thread

Now that the frenzy of the holiday season has abated, we can turn out attention to a project waiting in the wings that promises to lots of discussion and entertainment: The modding of Eli's new Duke in accordance with recommendations from forum members (and Eli's personal wishes/preferences). The holiday season has left me little time to complete the detailed modding catalog I have started, but I hope to finish and post it within the coming days.

To open the bidding, let me first note some generally-agreed-upon shortcomings of the Duke as delivered. Excellent as it is, few would disagree that, at a minimum, the stock Duke could benefit from some improvement in the following areas:
--Braking
--Seat Comfort
--Rear Shock Performance
--Lean Fuelling
--Headlight

Let me start with the most basic - and safety-related - mod: Braking.
The stock 390 comes from the factory with very hard, low-coefficient-of-friction pads. These are made in India, and clearly the priority in formulating the pad material was long service life, rather than top performance. As a result, Moto journalist testers have found the stock Brembo-designed ByBre brakes on both 390 variants lacking by comparison with brakes on Japanese competitors (even though the KTM 390's come standard with ABS). In addition to questionable brake pads, experience has shown that new Dukes/RC's are often delivered with a coating of oil/petroleum/contamination on the rotors, an obvious but often-overlooked issue typically not addressed by dealers during pre-delivery prep. As a result, the first few brake applications by a new 390 owner can cause the layer of rotor contamination to become embedded in the brake pads, degrading their performance even further.

The fix is simple, easy, inexpensive and effective:
--A thorough cleaning of both rotors with brake cleaning fluid.
--Changing the stock brake pads for HH-rated (ie, high coefficient-of-friction) aftermarket brake pads. Nearly all the major suppliers (Brembo, SBS, EBC, Galfer, Vesrah, Dunlop, Ferrodo and others) have by now brought high-quality HH pads to market to fit the KTM 390's. A patiently bedded-in set of HH pads on a clean rotor will vastly improve the 390's front brake in terms of initial bite, feel, lowered lever effort and overall braking power. Ideally, the owner of a new Duke/RC would change both front and rear brake pads, but given the rear brake's role as a minor auxiliary during weight-shifted hard braking, the priority is certainly on the front brake.

So my recommendation to Eli to start the modding process is: Clean the rotors and fit HH pads.

The floor is now open for all Forum members to jump in with their thoughts, comments and recommendations. Let the modding begin!

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

Last edited by Diploman; 01-04-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-04-2017, 11:23 AM

Garage
At the risk of being seen to not enter into the spirit of what could be a very interesting thread, I am inclined to think that seeing how Yves ( @Trimapa ) has already modded his bike way beyond the level that many of us will ever get to, then the one and only mod I would REALLY like to see is the one he has not yet fitted...... No, not an exhaust (yawn !) a Topbox , or even carbon wheels (though that would be good) but a Turbo of course !

Or a Supercharger, I'm not fussy.

Sorry if this makes me sound ungrateful.

Less is more - You can only use 150hp .001% of the time, but you can use 150kg 100% of the time ...........

2015 390 Duke / 2001 KTM 640 Duke2 (awaiting carb rebuild) / 1998 Bandit 1200 (half dead) / 1994 DR350 (in bits)

Last edited by 640; 01-04-2017 at 11:27 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Having a weakness for exotica is not a crime, Alan. It's all right, Mate. Your recommendation for a turbo or supercharger is duly noted and will be shown in the tally. I think it may be a while before we reach that point in the modding process.
640 likes this.

Cheers, Will

--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

post #4 of 15 Old 01-04-2017, 02:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
Let me start with the most basic - and safety-related - mod: Braking.
The stock 390 comes from the factory with very hard, low-coefficient-of-friction pads. These are made in India, and clearly the priority in formulating the pad material was long service life, rather than top performance.
I reckon the priority was in fact a pad compound that was new - rider friendly.

Absolutely agree though the standard pads are awful and seem to be largely responsible for the mushy feeling stock setup, was very impressed with the difference EBC HH's made to mine.

So given the small amount of expenditure of both time and money to execute this mod and the large payoff it's a logical place to start.
Bigshankhank likes this.

Less is more - You can only use 150hp .001% of the time, but you can use 150kg 100% of the time ...........

2015 390 Duke / 2001 KTM 640 Duke2 (awaiting carb rebuild) / 1998 Bandit 1200 (half dead) / 1994 DR350 (in bits)

Last edited by 640; 01-04-2017 at 02:19 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-04-2017, 02:30 PM

Garage
Absolutely agree, I went with the Brembo HH pads and they create a much more progressive rise in stopping power as the lever is pulled harder, something very much missing from the OEM pads.

Where are all the craftsmen gone?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-05-2017, 12:19 AM

Thank you for putting this together. Is Eli's bike the new look 2017 bike?

So far, I have done the Chad Wells massage for my 2015. That consists of: thinner head gasket. Polishing intake runner. A new chain tensioner. Hotter NGK plug. K/N air filter, Air box modified. New ECU. I love the results. Super smooth torque curve, big power increase at 7500 compared to stock(7-9!). Only about 2hp at 10500. I live around 7500, so this was very helpful to me.
Now I will to buy the new No-cat Akra for it. Next up, I'm thinking suspension.

I look forward to checking back on this thread. This is very helpful.
Cheers,
Tod
Diploman likes this.

Ducati 996S
Ducati ST4
KTM Duke 390
post #7 of 15 Old 01-05-2017, 03:25 AM

Garage
I suggest removing all the unnecessary weights to make the bike way lighter. Lotsa stuff can be removed if you are using the Duke as a single rider bike!
Diploman, zippy49 and bahawton like this.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-05-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Haiquel, Excellent suggestion! Why don't you put together for us a list of equipment that can be usefully removed altogether to lighten the bike, and other things for which a lighter part can be substituted (eg, battery, et al.).
F1Tod likes this.

Cheers, Will

--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #9 of 15 Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Tod, I cannot find a reference where Eli specified the model year of his Duke. However, given the fact that he already has possession of the bike, and the 2017 models are (to the best of my knowledge) not yet available in North America, we can safely assume that Eli's bike is most likely a 2016 model, or perhaps a left-over 2015.
F1Tod likes this.

Cheers, Will

--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #10 of 15 Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 PM

For me, seat comfort was the number one mod to tackle. Initially, I purchased KTM's Ergo seats for rider and pillion. While offering a modest increase in comfort, I was confident further improvement could be made. Without rehashing all the design procedures, here's the thread describing the seat as rebuilt by Sargent's to my specs.
http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...port-pics.html

Within that thread (first post) , there's a link to the design thread for those inclined to dig into the theory behind the design. Scott at Sargent's saved my build specs as far as I know, so anyone on the forum here can duplicate the seat. It truly makes the bike an all day rider for those that would like to spend long days in the saddle.

For just shy of $260, I got a completely custom built rider and passenger seat that truly transformed the comfort level of the bike. Total cost similar to the KTM Ergo seats, but with vastly superior results. Turn around time was 2-3 weeks.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page