1st service RPM shift light - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 23
(Thread Starter)
1st service RPM shift light

1st service done changing rpm setting for shift light, just checking settings others are using..at moment have set it at as per below

RPM 1...8950... Cannot go any higher...why?

RPM 2....10500...

Any advice would be appreciated...
CWONG1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Far North QLD Oz
Posts: 817
Read RD's reply here, it will probably have to do with the stock ECU setting. You gain the most accelaration from the 7 to 8500rpm rev window. Anything after that is basically squeezing what remains for that gear, for general running you wont need anything higher than the 9000. For track/race you dont have time to look, just listen.

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...d-know-12.html
Dan1 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWONG1 View Post
1st service done changing rpm setting for shift light, just checking settings others are using..at moment have set it at as per below

RPM 1...8950... Cannot go any higher...why?

RPM 2....10500...

Any advice would be appreciated...
Funny you should say that. I did mine just this morning. First set service mileage to next value then set RPM2 to 10000 and then RPM 1 to 9000.

Didn't have any problem doing that.

I can't see a lot of point in RPM 2 because as Dan suggests there isn't really time to detect whether the red light has stopped flashing in your peripheral vision.
roadster is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 06-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
strapontin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
Funny you should say that. I did mine just this morning. First set service mileage to next value then set RPM2 to 10000 and then RPM 1 to 9000.

Didn't have any problem doing that.

I can't see a lot of point in RPM 2 because as Dan suggests there isn't really time to detect whether the red light has stopped flashing in your peripheral vision.
So, are there any value to the set points shown in the owner's manual? They show them as 10000 for RPM1 and 11000 for RPM2. Is this perhaps just a carry over from the Duke 200 manual?
Otherwise I haven't seen any mention in the documentation available (including the shop manual somewhere on here) about set points for these. Or any mention of a redline cutoff either. I guess there's the bars on the display that switch from full to hollow at about 9500.
strapontin is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 06-10-2014, 05:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by strapontin View Post
So, are there any value to the set points shown in the owner's manual? They show them as 10000 for RPM1 and 11000 for RPM2. Is this perhaps just a carry over from the Duke 200 manual?
Otherwise I haven't seen any mention in the documentation available (including the shop manual somewhere on here) about set points for these. Or any mention of a redline cutoff either. I guess there's the bars on the display that switch from full to hollow at about 9500.
I haven't seen any recommendations except for running in. I just wanted a flashing light to tell me I was getting close to peak power rpm ( 9500 ). I'm not really concerned about RPM2 because by the time you notice the light has become solid you have had your eyes off the road for too long.
swannie_za likes this.
roadster is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 09-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
 
malJohann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MEL VIC AUS
Posts: 1,630
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
..First set service mileage to next value...
How do you do that? I see no mention hereof in the OM. Reason I'm asking is I'm taking my bike to a non-KTM dealer for service.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
malJohann is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 03:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by malJohann View Post
How do you do that? I see no mention hereof in the OM. Reason I'm asking is I'm taking my bike to a non-KTM dealer for service.
Try:-

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...tructions.html
malJohann likes this.
roadster is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
philcuore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 573
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to philcuore
mine is on 11k and 12k ... i need the extra rev to catchup to the next change of gear ... so that it drop at the powerband and saved some millisecond to climb to the next gear change

~ride as if you have stolen it~
philcuore is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by philcuore View Post
mine is on 11k and 12k ... i need the extra rev to catchup to the next change of gear ... so that it drop at the powerband and saved some millisecond to climb to the next gear change
Your bike revs that high?

Limiter on mine kicks in around 10500.

I recently dropped the shift light values down a fair bit, I can't remember what they were originally set at but I remember I would hardly see the light (if at all) then I'd hit the limiter. Now I think I have them set around 9,000 and 9,500 or something like that. I've hardly hit the limiter since.
mechanical_vandal is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
malJohann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MEL VIC AUS
Posts: 1,630
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
Thanks mate, did it this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanical_vandal View Post
Your bike revs that high?

Limiter on mine kicks in around 10500.
That's the standard, philcuore probably has a RaceDynamics piggyback ECU, which you can use to set the rev limited to a higher value.
philcuore likes this.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
malJohann is online now  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome