KTM Duke 390 Forum

KTM Duke 390 Forum (http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/)
-   KTM Duke Issues and Troubleshooting (http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/ktm-duke-issues-troubleshooting/)
-   -   Problems that KTM duke faces regularly,Duke issues (http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/ktm-duke-issues-troubleshooting/1346-problems-ktm-duke-faces-regularly-duke-issues.html)

Azrul 10-31-2013 06:12 PM

Problems that KTM duke faces regularly,Duke issues

1.Engine heat is a problem in KTM bikes.But its normal in any high performance liquid cooled bike.It is felt when the radiator fan switches on.
2.Leak in coolant-In some dukes,coolant gets leaked and needs to be top up within small kms.
3.Chain slapping the swingarm-While driving on Indian roads,chains are mostly getting badly loosen causing uncomfortable riding conditions.
4.Before first run-in, Engine seizures occur in dukes-This happens to people who do not run their machines properly.Engines gets badly affected by it.On its warranty time,if any engine seizures occur,company will replace it with a newer engine.
5.Feels Hard seats for some riders-Some riders complaints that the seat seems to be bit harder and they donít get couch-like comfort.This is mainly complainted by the riders who sits in their office on their bums in the chairs.
6.Gear stuck with Neutrals-When a upshift or downshift from first to second gear or vice versa occurs,gear gets stucked with neutral.This problem is found in Hero Honda karizma ZMR too.If this problem occurs between gears check the linkage of the gear shift.
7.Another major problem is that bike sound like a tractor.At first time we will be quite disappointed about the sound of KTM bikes.Sounds of many v-twins especially those do duty on the Ducatis and the KTMs are same.But we will be addicted to the sound after long rides.
These are the major problems owners have with duke.And these are not that much large issues because these issues can be solved by the proper servicing and handling of vehicle.

Source::cool: - See more at: Problems that KTM duke faces regularly,Duke issues - MaDrives | MaDrives

Azrul 10-31-2013 06:18 PM

Is KTM carrying out a non-publicized recall of the Duke 390?

KTM India could be carrying out a non-publicized recall on the recently launched Duke 390 motorcycle. Team-Bhpian SriramV.Iyer and one of the first owners of the KTM Duke 390 in Bangalore has been notified of a parts replacement exercise on his motorcycle by a local KTM dealer.

The parts that will be replaced free of cost to the customer through this exercise are the fan assembly and rotor parts. While "fan assembly" refers to the cooling fan that is designed to work with the liquid cooled module of the 373 cc single cylinder engine, rotor parts could have to do with the disc brake assembly of the motorcycle. The "product replacement exercise" is said to take 2-3 hours.

Notably, there have been reports that pre-production variants of the Duke 390 were heating up quite a bit in traffic crawl situations, a problem that is common to larger engined, liquid cooled motorcycles. In that light, it remains to be seen if the fan assembly recall/part replacement exercise is a move to allay this particular issue.

We're yet to receive official notification from Bajaj Auto/KTM India regarding the parts replacement exercise. In the past as well, Bajaj Auto, like many other Indian automobile manufacturers, had chosen to couch a product recall with a term as ambiguous as "quality improvement". Don't be surprised if a similar story pans out with the purported KTM Duke 390 recall as well.

The KTM Duke 390, launched earlier this year, is the most powerful made-in-India motorcycle, with a 43 Bhp-35 Nm output from its 373 cc single cylinder petrol engine. The motorcycle is built at Bajaj Auto's Chakan factory, with heavy localization. Apart from selling the Duke 390 India, KTM exports the motorcycle to countries around the world.

Therefore, the parts replacement exercise that KTM is carrying out might have global ramifications if exports have begun in a significant way. In India, KTM has just begun delivering the Duke 390. So, the recall exercise is expected to cover only a handful of motorcycles. The latest versions of the Duke 390 rolling out of Chakan are expected to already feature the improved parts.

Source: :) Is KTM carrying out a non-publicized recall of the Duke 390? | Team-BHP

dukeitout 11-01-2013 04:44 PM

some of those problems are more complaints while others are serious problems

engine seizures? loose chains, leaking coolant.. shifting issues...

serious problems

any owners care to share if they have any of these problems?

SeanN 01-27-2014 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have issues with my temperature guage not working, it basically works when it feels like it. Bike is going back a second time to see if they can fix this issue.

The fuel guage was showing me empty and a range of 1,2km left just a second before I took this picture, I got worried and stopped to fill up... when I opened the tank I could see the fuel in there so for interest sake topped it up and it only took 4 liters.

The fuel guage on these bikes is useless.

I had also loads of rattles under the tank as well but the dealership sorted all that out on the first service, they wrapped all the wires and whatever could rattle.
It now looks a lot neater in there and not a mess like it comes out of the factory.

Asiaoildude 01-27-2014 05:23 AM

I've not had any issues. I don't know if the Singapore delivered KTM's are subject to an Austrian QC but I think the local dealer is aware of some issues and sorts them out pre delivery. He did mention "there may be an issue with the fan" but nada so far. I've just completed my first 1000km service and run in.

Dan1 01-27-2014 06:04 AM

Im up to 4000k and zero issues, some here in aus have had the gear issue as well as the display glitching but other than that no problems. Ive mentioned it before but I think the temp sensor is half the issue regarding the heat gauge and after some further digging im starting to believe the radiator core is possibly to thin. Im going to go discuss this with some radiator techs to get their feedback and see if its worth having a new one made from lighter/better material.

SeanN 01-27-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1 (Post 16513)
Im up to 4000k and zero issues, some here in aus have had the gear issue as well as the display glitching but other than that no problems. Ive mentioned it before but I think the temp sensor is half the issue regarding the heat gauge and after some further digging im starting to believe the radiator core is possibly to thin. Im going to go discuss this with some radiator techs to get their feedback and see if its worth having a new one made from lighter/better material.

When you say display glitching, mine has been glitchy too like it will go through its startup sequence while idling waiting at a traffic light.
It looks as if I have turned on the ignition while sitting there... I think it could be a short circuit somewhere.

Dan1 01-27-2014 04:28 PM

The read outs like speed would disappear but the rest stayed on, there was also the occasional black box of pixels where numbers should be.

Asiaoildude 01-28-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanN (Post 16521)
When you say display glitching, mine has been glitchy too like it will go through its startup sequence while idling waiting at a traffic light.
It looks as if I have turned on the ignition while sitting there... I think it could be a short circuit somewhere.

More like a dodgy connector or solder joint.

dukeitout 01-28-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1 (Post 16546)
The read outs like speed would disappear but the rest stayed on, there was also the occasional black box of pixels where numbers should be.

Have you ever brought this issue to the dealer?

I'm sure they would just replace your cluster for you. Maybe fault wiring or connector? Could also be the ECU being buggy too....