My 2017 Duke 390 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My 2017 Duke 390 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

Just picked her up today, had a few issues getting the new dashboard software installed, but it looks like KTM got it sorted.

Few things I noticed on the ride home:

- the running in RPM limit really is something to pay attention to, because it really tempts you to spank it!
- there's something vibrating and resonating at low rpm's, I'm suspecting the plastic radiator shroud. Going to see if I can fix that.
- brake/clutch levers are a bit wobbly, will probably replace those soon with cnc levers.
- mirrors are an eyesore, looks like I'll put some fold-away bar-ends on it soon.
- the seat is rock-hard compared to my VFR and even 690 Enduro, let's see how long my butt can take it before going for a gel seat.
- stock exhaust sounds pretty good once you open up the revs, but I can sense it wanting to put me a full exhaust system on

Some pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 12:09 PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Worth the wait?
post #3 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldo Taki View Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Worth the wait?
Yeah, can't wait until I'm fully familiarized with the bike so that I can start ripping it up

Might actually treat it to a coat of ACF-50, here in Amsterdam you're never too far away from the next bit of rain. Now that the bike is all clean it's a perfect moment to rust-proof it.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Looks good. I'm sure KTM will have a Powerparts seat for the 17 soon. The one for the 15 is excellent.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 03:10 PM

Garage
Lucky duck...enjoy!

'16 KTM 390 Duke (WHITE)
Mods - Competition Werkes exhaust, Bazzaz, MNNTHBX intake cover w/ K&N, Evotech Performance tail tidy, ergo seat, pillion seat cover, touring windscreen, adjustable levers and KTM covers
post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 04:08 PM

It's definitely growing on me

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
It's definitely growing on me

Same here but will hold out for the 790

'16 KTM 390 Duke (WHITE)
Mods - Competition Werkes exhaust, Bazzaz, MNNTHBX intake cover w/ K&N, Evotech Performance tail tidy, ergo seat, pillion seat cover, touring windscreen, adjustable levers and KTM covers
post #8 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
Looks good. I'm sure KTM will have a Powerparts seat for the 17 soon. The one for the 15 is excellent.
They already do, at least in the US catalogue: KTM - READY TO RACE
Hoover likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I figured out the nasty bodywork resonance I was getting at low rpm's, it was the small bolt in the top/middle of the headlight.. it was loose. I don't know how it got like that, but I tightened it the best I could and that seems to have fixed it. Only slightly worrying part was that it seems the bolt wasn't really able to thread in tightly, as if there's hardly and thread. I'll have the dealer check the thread when I bring it in for first service, if it turns out to be stripped I'll have them fix it under warranty.

Also I went on a nice ride this weekend, put 200 km's on the clock. The bike certainly outperforms my skills, so I'm happy that I have room for learning on this bike. Very pleased with the brakes, it stops on a dime and ABS so far hasn't even kicked in. The tires are just as good, I didn't experience any issues with grip, and that's on them being brand new.

Performance does seem to be choked a little bit and the throttle is a little bit on/off, I feel like it suffers a little from the EURO4 regs. I might start saving up for the Akra exhaust system (with cat), since that comes with airfilter and ECU map. I'll have to do some research on user experiences, I wonder if the remap will also give you smoother throttle pickup.

Last edited by amsterduke; 06-19-2017 at 03:33 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got nearly 500km's on her now, brakes and tires are starting to get nicely worn in. Went on a nice little ride to the beach this weekend
The ride quality is really confidence inspiring, pushing you to try to corner as quick as you can.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page