First time riding at night - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
First time riding at night

Hey guys, I did a little motovlog of my first night ride. It was definitely different than driving at night because you seem to be on hyper alert mode. Also, it's much colder without the sun . Let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/OqtIxxCU-PY
bcutler2003 and duke200 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 03:39 AM

Garage
What do you expect of the drivers in a country that delivers drivers licences that easy .. Remembering in 1984 me going for my Californian licence at the Santa Monica DMV .. Multiple choice 20 dead easy questions / multiple choice answers . Corrected on the spot , picture taken and given a practical test a couple of hours later . Quick ride around the bock , parking manoeuvre and all done . I was surprised to took them 2 weeks to mail the licence .
There you have it .. no experience and you can drive a 500hp sports car as from 16 years old ..like a licence to kill . However in big fat red lettres across was written -- " UNDER 21 till 1985 " so you are 20 years old but you can't go for a beer nor buy a six pack of BUD at supermarket ! You can however buy a six shooter Colt ??

Around that time there was a lucrative business that sent people from Europe on " holiday " to pass an US driver's licence and as soon returned home they would " swap " it for a European one . It didn't last very long before limitations were put in place

Last edited by Trimapa; 11-02-2016 at 03:43 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've been on a night scratch along the Victorian high country with two mates.

Lots of narrow roads, some night life and mountain twisties. We weren't hanging around either.

Now that, was a rush I'll never forget.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
You can however buy a six shooter Colt ??
Sorry to nit pick, but no you can not. A more appropriate and true rip on America would be you can die for your country but not buy a beer.
G19Tony likes this.

His: 2016 BMW S1000RR
Hers: 2016 KTM Duke 390
post #5 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Garage
Things have changed in Cali since 1984, Trimapa. When I first started riding in the mid-1960's, no special license was needed for the bike. The driving test was simple, the hardest part for most was parallel parking.

These days you must pass a training course (MSF or similar) before you go to the DMV. That will get you a 'learner's permit' that is restricted to daylight hours, no passengers, and no interstate/freeway riding. However, there are no tiered displacement/power rules based on age like in the UK. So theoretically, yes, a 16 YO could get a new R1 and kill himself doing wheelies in a local school parking lot...with his Dad watching. Happened nearby, just a few years ago.

I call it evolution in action.
Diploman and Trimapa like this.

Lighter makes it righter!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I got my driver's license in NC in 2004. I had to take a driver's ed course which if I remember correctly was 3 weeks long. 2 weeks in a class room setting (which were like 6-8 hours long) and then a week behind the wheel with a teacher. After that, I had to pass a test for the course, both a written test and a driving test. Then I had to take my certificate to the DMV and request to take a written test for my permit. Once I had my permit, I had to spend a year driving with a licensed driver in the passenger seat. Luckily for me, my parents made me drive everywhere. Out to dinner, to grandparent's house, to the beach, etc. I got a lot of experience driving before I ever took my driving test for my license. After a year, I had to take the driving test. Which for me, was very simple. But I had friends and family that didn't pass it first try. I also couldn't drive after 9pm for the first 6 months. Unless I was going to or from work. So as you can see, I had to do a LOT to get my driver's license. And it shows because I'm a much better driver than most others. That might seem cocky, but it's 100% true. I have the record to prove it.
Diploman likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 04:52 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Jtown, what kind of headlight are you using? From the video I am guessing your bike is equipped with the OEM halogen bulb. This is standard issue, but very anemic compared to more modern lighting options. If you plan to ride frequently at night, you really should upgrade to the best bulb available. Even for daytime riding, you need to make yourself as visible to cars as possible.

I suggest this plug-and-play bulb as a replacement for your stock halogen. This is the latest generation of LED bulbs, with an output per watt almost three times more than the halogen. This bulb is almost as powerful as the most efficient bulbs on the market, but has the additional, important advantage of having better beam focus than previous generation LED bulbs. I think this is the one to buy now. An inexpensive but very valuable upgrade. Simple to install. The only mod you will have to make is to cut a hole in the rubber dust cover behind the bulb to make an outlet for the LED bulb's cooling fan.

FluxBeam Motorcycle LED Headlight - OPT7

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #8 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
..I suggest this plug-and-play bulb as a replacement for your stock halogen. This is the latest generation of LED bulbs, with an output per watt almost three times more than the halogen. This bulb is almost as powerful as the most efficient bulbs on the market, but has the additional, important advantage of having better beam focus than previous generation LED bulbs. I think this is the one to buy now. An inexpensive but very valuable upgrade. Simple to install. The only mod you will have to make is to cut a hole in the rubber dust cover behind the bulb to make an outlet for the LED bulb's cooling fan.

FluxBeam Motorcycle LED Headlight - OPT7
Agreed. The beam anomalies I had with my Opt7 was due to a bent retention spring, so the LED bulb wasn't seated properly, and was slightly misaligned.

All fixed, but can't get new beam shots right now, because no more night classes and with the warmer weather, I also don't ride in low light at the moment.

Last edited by malJohann; 11-04-2016 at 09:14 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Although I don't expect to do much riding at night, I'll look into getting the different bulb. Thanks for the tip!
post #10 of 11 Old 11-05-2016, 12:11 AM

It's Nov 5, in Southern Indiana. Deer rut. Riding during the day is scary enough. At night, on a bike, is not a good idea, right now. This time of year, I prefer my lifted Ram Hemi. If I hit a deer in that thing I know the outcome.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page