Which Engine oil? - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Which Engine oil?

Hi guys
Im Rohit, from Bangalore,India
I got my RC390 a week ago and have completed 220 kms till date.
The factory filled engine oil is mineral oil and i have done an aggressive/motoman break-in and intend to change the oil to a fresh mineral oil at 300-400kms. I spoke to my dealers about this and, they told me that if i could get them the required mineral oil they would change it for me. But i am not sure of which oil i should get for the bike...brand and grade(15W50). Can you guys please suggest a Mineral oil i can purchase and/or any other ideas/opinions. And we do not have Motorex oils in India.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-21-2015, 06:57 PM

Hi Rohit,

KTM specifies the break-in procedure of limited RPM's for 1000km using their mineral break-in oil before changing it out to full synthetic.

You have decided not to do as they suggest on all 3 aspects...

It's too late to stop you riding it hard before it's ready, but it's not too late to suggest you leave the break-in oil in until the 1000km mark then change it to full synthetic. If you can't get Motorex find another good synthetic motorcycle oil to use.

Regards,

Phil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTM 390 Duke (white of course), Skyteam ACE 125 and a '72 Suzuki GP125 Cafe Racer project bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 15 Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Mariner
But in the hard break-in I have maintained my rpm below 6000. The only aggressive thing I have done is acceleration in a certain gear then deceleration under the engine. But I have heard that the oil with aluminium particles is harmful for an engine, this is why I am concerned

post #4 of 15 Old 09-22-2015, 11:37 AM

Garage
I know why you are impatient...the difference between a 6K redline and 10k is night and day!

That sounds no different to how our 390 was run in. I would still wait until 1000 km to change the oil. It really should be a fully synthetic oil, 15/50 weight. The brand is less important than the type. I doubt that KTM would specify synthetic if none were available in India.

PS don't forget to get the valve clearances checked and adjusted if necessary.

Lighter makes it righter!
post #5 of 15 Old 09-22-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you zippy
Is the checking of valve clearances very important? Or is it something that can be skipped?
post #6 of 15 Old 09-22-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Yb View Post
Thank you zippy
Is the checking of valve clearances very important? Or is it something that can be skipped?
It's only important if they need adjusting. You can make a mess of those cams if they do. But you won't know unless you check.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Garage
I'd recommend either Motul or Silkolene semi-synthetic for the first service, although in the US dealers are putting them on full synthetic at 620 miles. I put Silkolene 15W-50 full synthetic in mine and it's running just fine. Make sure ALL the screens are changed along with the filter element, the screens seem to get a fair amount of metal in the first 600 miles.

Under no circumstances should the valve check be ignored, period.
zippy49 likes this.

Last edited by mejetski2000; 09-22-2015 at 06:23 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejetski2000 View Post
I'd recommend either Motul or Silkolene semi-synthetic for the first service, although in the US dealers are putting them on full synthetic at 620 miles. I put Silkolene 15W-50 full synthetic in mine and it's running just fine. Make sure ALL the screens are changed along with the filter element, the screens seem to get a fair amount of metal in the first 600 miles.

+1 on what he said. Both of my exhaust valves were tight.

Lighter makes it righter!
post #9 of 15 Old 09-23-2015, 06:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejetski2000 View Post

I put Royal Purple in mine at 620 miles. Then, after finding out that it did not have the proper additive package for a wet clutch, changed it to Lucas 20w50. I think I only put about 60 miles on the RP.

I asked my dealer about the valve check when I had it in their shop for the re-flash. They told me that it wasn't necessary this early.

2015 NA Duke - "Black" edition
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airbox Mod, Akra Tune, decals removed, Modded stock muffler, adjustable levers, DIY tidy tail, bar end mirrors
post #10 of 15 Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 PM

Garage
Did you happen to show him the section in your owners manual that specifies a check performed at "first service" at 620 miles ?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page