KTM RC390 vs Honda CBR500R - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-19-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
KTM RC390 vs Honda CBR500R

The price difference between the two should be minimal but the route taken to get there could not be more different.

The CBR500R uses a Parallel Twin which cracks out 46 hp and 31 lb-ft of twist. While the KTM with its single thumper makes 42 hp and 25 lb-fts. Now keep in mind this is comparing a 471cc Twin against a 375cc single. However it should be accepted that the KTM will be feather weight compared to the CBR500R. Based on the Duke the KTM and the Honda should sport similar 0-100kmh times, however also going from Duke 390 the CBR500R has a higher top speed of 185 kmh.

Where the two really begin to diverge is when you consider intended use. The KTM seems to be more track friendly and short distance focused, while CBR500R with its heft and relaxed ergonomics should be popular with a more touring crowd. Not to mention the added displacement of the CBR500R should have the Honda settling in more comfortably at prolonged triple digit cruising speeds.

The handles should be worlds apart as well. The KTM should be razor sharp as a result of its light weight and supersport derived ergonomics. Plus the KTM offers ABS standard while the CBR does not...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM

It looks like the CBR500R still has a forward leaning riding position. Is it really that much different from the seating position of the KTM Duke 390.

As long as the acceleration is the same does it really matter what the top speed is? Unless you plan on going out to the track, you will never get up to the top speed anyway, at least not without breaking the law.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
ergos are a huge factor. Supersport ergos are on par with race bikes, while typical sport ergos are more touring oriented.

and compare the RC's position with the KTM Cup bike..

SeanN likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 AM

they are both nice motorcycles but one is more performance focused (KTM)

I would be interested in which one is actually quicker

Who has the numbers?!
post #5 of 15 Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM

I hadn't noticed how much you have to lean forward with the riding position for the KTM Duke 390. That must make it not as comfortable to ride around town casually or on longer trips. Like you were saying, it is more track focused.

I was surprised that a 390 would be so track focused. Its really not that powerful for a track bike.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM

never seen the red bull color scheme mixed in with KTM's, not that I see it, i have to admit it looks amazing
post #7 of 15 Old 02-20-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazardousDuke View Post
never seen the red bull color scheme mixed in with KTM's, not that I see it, i have to admit it looks amazing
You guys dont watch at lot of MotoGP over there do you? Jack Miller is riding for the Ajo team this year (above pic) and I cant wait for the season start, its going to be a big year for him.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
unfortunately our coverage of WSBK and MotoGP actualyl doesn't exist. Ok exageration, but its awful in comparison with the rest of the world. Most our our coverage is MotoX based.

I'm not sure if the rider on the RC390 above is hunched over more simply for a more dramatic picture or if thats really how you should ride the RC....
post #9 of 15 Old 02-23-2014, 06:15 PM

they are leaned in no doubt

you can have your body upright if you wish

but i would say the lean angle is more aggressive on the RC
post #10 of 15 Old 02-23-2014, 08:01 PM

I hate these Indian reviews... very myopic and with weird, unsupported statements. (Just like this one).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page