New member and owner of KTM Twins! - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 12-20-2016, 07:24 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Certainly there will be plenty of suggestions. But of course no one here would lead Eli astray....

Bottom line: It's Eli's bike and he has the final say.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 12-20-2016, 07:27 PM

This sounds like an awesome project Eli! I look forward to seeing the results of what will surely be a brilliant, tasteful build!

Also, welcome to the forum Eli!
post #13 of 20 Old 12-21-2016, 04:18 AM

Garage
All jokes aside , this is a great idea and could surely be of an interest to KTM itself . Also , Will aka " @Diploman " is by far the most qualified person here to coordinate such project . Looking forward to the final result .

post #14 of 20 Old 12-21-2016, 09:05 AM

Eli, if you can look into, try out a thermostat switch upgrade option for the 390s as one of the mods, that would probably be of interest to many of us.

https://ktmtwins.com/collections/eng...switch-upgrade

We have a different switch on the 390s:

2016 Duke 390
2001 Buell Blast
2005 Subaru Legacy BP 2.5i Wagon
Past Bikes - 1988 Yamaha YSR50, 1988 Yamaha FZ600, 1981 Honda XL500, 1983 Yamaha XT250, 1983 Honda NX250, 1983 Honda GB250 Clubman, 1993 Aprilia Climber 280, 1984 Yamaha SRX400
post #15 of 20 Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimapa View Post
Knowing Will .... this will become the most expensive Duke 390 on earth !
Yves, I believe it is your bike that most likely holds that distinction....
LNICK likes this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #16 of 20 Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
Yves, I believe it is your bike that most likely holds that distinction....
Doubt that very much ... perhaps with the top 10 on this forum .
post #17 of 20 Old 12-21-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Doubt that very much ... perhaps with the top 10 on this forum .
Well, it depends on how you calculate right? I think there was some bad math applied when you got this:

Quote:
Guess I spent 500 to 600 euros on my modifications

2016 Duke 390
2001 Buell Blast
Past Bikes - 1988 Yamaha YSR50, 1988 Yamaha FZ600, 1981 Honda XL500, 1983 Yamaha XT250, 1983 Honda NX250, 1983 Honda GB250 Clubman, 1993 Aprilia Climber 280, 1984 Yamaha SRX400
post #18 of 20 Old 12-21-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
Eli has come up with a very original idea that could be great fun for the forum and something to follow over time. He proposes to mod his Duke 390 according to the suggestions and priorities of the forum membership. How could we turn down a juicy project such as that? Once we get started, all posts regarding the Eli Build will need to be kept in a single thread, one that will likely become quite long.

I volunteer to act as the "Eli Build Coordinator", keeping track of ideas, suggestions, recommendations coming in from the membership, and keeping a tally of votes/endorsements for each recommended mod as a means of prioritizing them. In addition, there is an inherent hierarchy among mods: some are "Must Have", thus should of course be prioritized and accomplished first; others are "Nice To Have" and should come next; finally there are "Discretionary" mods reflecting strictly personal preference, at the lowest priority. And of course Eli, who will be financing The Build, will have the final say on mods for his bike.

I propose to categorize The Build into several main areas: 1. Chassis 2. Drive Train 3. Aesthetics 4. Utility/Luggage 5. Safety/Protection. Each of these will include sub-categories, to be detailed. I do not think this project wants to go in the direction of an extreme custom build, so major mods to engine or frame will not be recommended, staying mainly with available aftermarket parts and accessories readily accessible to forum members.

I propose a loosely-structured, informal "Build Consultative Committee" to bring forward ideas and recommendations, as well as to provide analysis, evaluation and commentary on suggested mods. Motorcycling experience, knowledge and wisdom acquired over time are of great value here, so ideally this informal committee would include as many interested Senior Members as possible, those who are active Forum participants. Mod suggestions from all Forum Members are, of course, strongly encouraged. Input from Forum members all over the globe will bring valuable perspective and variety to this entertaining project. In addition to offering opinions and commentary on proposed mods, members can/should express a vote for or against. I will endeavor to tally up these votes so Eli can receive the Forum's input in a rational manner.

These are my preliminary thoughts on how we should organize this project, which promises to result in a thoughtfully-modded Duke that members can emulate and from which we can learn. This should provide fun and an interesting, evolving focus over a long period of time. Let's have a good time with this!

Thoughts and suggestions from all are requested! I will work up a detailed breakdown of mod categories for subsequent posting in the Build Thread. Eli, hope this meets with your approval. Thanks!
I love this Will, thank you for taking point in such a thoughtful and organized way. What portion of the forum would be the best place for this build to live?

[quote=CDN Duke;288978]Eli, if you can look into, try out a thermostat switch upgrade option for the 390s as one of the mods, that would probably be of interest to many of us.

We have a different switch on the 390s:

Great suggestion CDN Duke, I'll see what we can dig up. Keep those sorts of ideas flowing as we continue forward with the build!
post #19 of 20 Old 12-28-2016, 01:07 AM

speedyslippers, being budget minded or frugal (but not cheap!), I would be interested in seeing installs/reviews with short term discounting available for those items that are recently showcased... Assuming you come on as a forum sponsor, that sort of promotion should be fine I would expect?

Eg, I'm interested in the Sato Racing SS kit that you have listed: https://ktmtwins.com/products/ktm-rc390rs-ssk

Would be great to have an install documented and then a limited time offer for forum members to purchase at a break over regular pricing perhaps?

Also, ktmtwins comes up in my Facebook feed now (funny that eh, like many other topics/products I have viewed in the browser). The site preview mentions new ownership iirc. Curious if you recently acquired or took over the company?

2016 Duke 390
2001 Buell Blast
post #20 of 20 Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey there CDN - those are great suggestions. I've been gearing us up to do some install/video reviews, just haven't had the time to get them done. Very much in the works though, so glad to hear you're into it.

And yes, I took over the company about 6 months ago now.
CDN Duke likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page