Thinking of buying a 2016 390 duke - KTM Duke 390 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Smile Thinking of buying a 2016 390 duke

Hello to all.
I'm an English guy living in the south of Japan. Little bit of back ground I just past my bike test here in Japan. The test I took allows me to ride up to a 400cc. There are many 400cc bikes to choose from so I'm a bit lost which one to choose. I found a 2016 390 Duke in my local bike shop and just love the styling and it looks like a lot of fun. I'm 6'1 and 95kg not sure if I'm too heavy for it. Most of my riding would be in the mountains and city. Any opinion appreciated. Hopefully I'll be a duke rider soon. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2017, 02:22 AM

Hi Riceman. I really love my duke, but i also really loved my honda rvf400. Given that you are in japan i imagine there would be bucket loads of them floating around (selling it is the only real regret in my life) When i bought my duke i was torn between the two and ultimately my wrists and back won the argument (i commute around 150km per day) along with the unique styling of the duke.
I'm just under 6' and about 85 kilos and don't have any issue with being too big or heavy for the bike. When i twist the throttle it goes plenty quick enough for me. It took me a little while to get used to the upright riding position when attacking corners but after that initial adjustment phase it was all smooth sailing. And the bonus is the long boring straight roads don't suck so much anymore.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 AM

Garage
Hi , The Duke's relative powerful engine can handle your weight however riding position for a 6,1 person could be a little cramped

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 AM

Garage
Plenty of riders over 6 foot in THIS thread. consensus seems to be the bike is fine.

I'm 5ft. 11 but (currently) over 100kg and absolutely no complaints on the performance front (former Fireblade owner).

I did once find the performance lacking on one of our epic local moors roads where exiting a hairpin bend you are straight into a steep climb - the only time the lack of CC was really apparent - however there is an easy answer to that - fit a fuel controller and an aftermarket air filter, which boosts the mid range torque by something like 30%.

Next time I hit the same road so equipped - the bike just pulled out of the bend and up the hill

Less is more - You can only use 150hp .001% of the time, but you can use 150kg 100% of the time ...........

2015 390 Duke / 2001 KTM 640 Duke2 (awaiting carb rebuild) / 1998 Bandit 1200 (half dead) / 1994 DR350 (in bits)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your replys. I have found them very helpful.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Garage
I have issues with legroom on our 390. I'm just over 6' with very long legs, and only the inside of my knee bones touch the sides of the tank cover. Which can be a bit painful in jeans, not so bad in leathers. The 2017 tank cover seems to have a bit more room there.

Some rearset peg assemblies would fix that, although wifey might not approve. Folding pegs would be a requirement. I made some simple rearset plates for the assemblies on the SV, which is also really short on legroom, but the 390's plates are held by the swingarm pivot bolt like the FZ-09 I worked on. A bit harder to R&R those.

Lighter makes it righter!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page