New Member - Enduronut - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By CDN Duke

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-09-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
New Member - Enduronut

Hello All,

I have 5 other bikes, from Vespa scooters to an old enduro and a Kawasaki Versys 650

I am a recent owner of a 2015 KTM duke 390 with only 1400 miles,,,,,I love it !

Unfortunately, I have been experiencing a stalling problem with a warm motor. After a few hours ride, I pull up to a traffic light, put the bike in neutral. Light turns green and I pull in clutch and shift into 1st. as soon as I put into gear- Motor shuts off - Before I even let the clutch lever out @!

Hoping to get some help on this issue and get on with the pleasure of riding this awesome bike

Enduronut !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduronut View Post
Hello All,

I have 5 other bikes, from Vespa scooters to an old enduro and a Kawasaki Versys 650

I am a recent owner of a 2015 KTM duke 390 with only 1400 miles,,,,,I love it !

Unfortunately, I have been experiencing a stalling problem with a warm motor. After a few hours ride, I pull up to a traffic light, put the bike in neutral. Light turns green and I pull in clutch and shift into 1st. as soon as I put into gear- Motor shuts off - Before I even let the clutch lever out @!

Hoping to get some help on this issue and get on with the pleasure of riding this awesome bike

Enduronut !
Sounds like what others have mentioned - could be dirty sidestand switch. Bike has a circuit designed to prevent you riding with stand down - clean off the magnet found near hinge on stand and see if that helps.
Diploman and 640 like this.

2016 Duke 390
2005 Subaru Legacy BP 2.5i Wagon
Past Bikes - 1988 Yamaha YSR50, 1988 Yamaha FZ600, 1981 Honda XL500, 1983 Yamaha XT250, 1983 Honda NX250, 1983 Honda GB250 Clubman, 1993 Aprilia Climber 280, 1984 Yamaha SRX400, 2001 Buell Blast
post #3 of 3 Old 01-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
E-nut, Welcome to the forum! Another veteran rider seduced by the Duke's charms!

Your stalling issue sounds very much like it could be the result of a misbehaving sidestand switch. As CDN mentioned, the first step in the fix is to thoroughly clean the magnet mounted on the sidestand, as well as the sensor/switch activated by the magnet. The second part of the fix developed by Hoover is to take off the magnet, add a washer and reattach it so it will now reside closer to the sensor when the stand is retracted, reducing the chance that movements and vibrations during operation will move the magnet out of range of the sensor. Everyone who has tried this fix thus far has been pleased with the results.

There may possibly be other causes for 390 stalling that will not be addressed by this fix, but certainly experience suggests that a great percentage of stalling issues can be cured with this simple solution. Try it!

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

Last edited by Diploman; 01-10-2017 at 08:26 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page