KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

New Duke rider, I have some questions.

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  66chevelless511 
#1 ·
Hey, so i purchased a new 2016 duke yesterday and its sitting in my garage, i live in New Jersey. I have been riding a SSR 125 pit bike for a few years so this is my first street bike and i have a few questions. I'm looking at a USB outlet that connects directly to the wire harness, its made by battery tender.
Is that a good charger?

Also I need a battery charger, since there is snow here and the bike will sit for a few months. Which battery charger will help my battery last long and is light on the wallet. Trickle???

But wait theres more!

I'm also looking for a cheap, minimalist, legal fender eliminator kit, anyone have a link?

Thanks so much and ride safe.

^Emphasis on the cheap please as I'm 17 and my income is rather small^

#2 ·
Hey, so i purchased a new 2016 duke yesterday and its sitting in my garage, i live in New Jersey. I have been riding a SSR 125 pit bike for a few years so this is my first street bike and i have a few questions. I'm looking at a USB outlet that connects directly to the wire harness, its made by battery tender.

Is that a good charger?

Also I need a battery charger, since there is snow here and the bike will sit for a few months. Which battery charger will help my battery last long and is light on the wallet. Trickle???

But wait theres more!

I'm also looking for a cheap, minimalist, legal fender eliminator kit, anyone have a link?

Thanks so much and ride safe.

^Emphasis on the cheap please as I'm 17 and my income is rather small^

What is your instagram bro? I live in CT but my family is in Jersey still, I got a 16 Duke390 too [emoji1360] my ig is ktmjun_86

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum . If you use the forum search engine you will find several threads covering the tail tidy / fender eliminator : Some members have done a very good DIY job by cutting the stock fender down and adapted licence plate holders . These are certainly the cheapest solutions .

#4 · (Edited)
That direct connection to the harness is intended for charging onboard devices such as GPS. It won't handle the current needed to charge the bike's battery, and is likely disconnected when the ignition is off.

A Battery Tender comes with a fused connection harness that attaches to the battery terminals. I've used them for years. It has an SAE plug connection that will accept a USB adapter that connects to the battery. They are less than $10 online. A half-amp Tender Junior is less than $30.

When you save up a few bucks you can lose the Tender and five pounds of weight from under the seat with a Li-PO battery. We have them in all five bikes and our Miata.

#5 ·
Welcome aboard, Mark! You've just acquired one of the most nimble, fun bikes on the planet. Power to weight ratio is near the top of the charts, handles like "thought." Few little things need sorting, and then there's all kinds of "farkling" that you can do, but you're in for buckets of fun.

Any of the "Battery Tender" products are fine, and Yuasa makes a similar product under their brand name that is also good. And, as Zippy suggested, Battery Tender also offers a USB charger that will plug right in to your SAE plug when you're not using it for charging; in fact, I just got one for another bike of mine, and haven't installed it yet.

Best of luck with your new ride, keep the shiny side up!

#6 ·
I got a battery tender and USB charger and installed them today, they work very well. I also bought a tank pad on eBay and I'm having trouble finding a fender eliminator kit. I'm not sure i wanna chop my fender and i don't like the look of the Tail tidys, does anyone Know of a good fender eliminator kit?

Also, i wanna get rid of these huge dangling turn signals i've seen many nice LEDs but don't know what i have to modify to install these, any help?

#7 ·
#8 ·
I ended up going with the EVOTECH tail tidy. It should be noted however that the tail-light is NOT DOT approved. Much to my disappointment

And regarding the battery maintainers... I purchased the Deltran Battery Tender; model number 021-0123 to keep my Duke charged up between rides. For $28 USD... I can't recommend the battery tender enough!

Hope this helps!

#9 ·
Congrats on your purchase! I second all who rave about the enjoyment of these bikes. I've owned many others including large engine Harleys, and for me, the little duke is perfect. Yeah they make em bigger, but maybe I'll live a little longer with this, plus the power really is impressive still.
For tail tidy I utilized the diy and am super happy. Actually used the "scraps"from the extra length to make my rear plate holder. A little hobby grade super glue with cure/harder spray for extra bond, and it's good to go. Hope the pics help. Enjoy!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.