KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Hey

6K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  Hoover 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I just purchased a brand new 2016 KTM 390 Duke yesterday. It is still being built at the dealer. I'm a brand new rider and I looked at all the reviews and said that this bike is the bike to start my journey with. I'm from Ontario, Canada, 2 hours north west from ottawa.

I was only able to purchase the white 390 Duke. but I will eventually get it blacked out with orange highlights.

If anyone as any tips or things for me to know about anything, please let me know.

Thanks I'm happy that I'm in the Duke family.

#2 ·
Congratulations man, great purchase I'm sure you'll love it. I bought a white Duke 390 2016 model at the beginning of January and I still take the long way to and from work its so much fun.

I like the white - it stands out in traffic better and hence should be ever so slightly safer. My mods so far are the improved powerparts seat, K&N Air filter and most importantly a Bazzaz fuel controller (makes it less lean so less hot, smoother and sounds better).

Pictures soon please.

#3 ·
Hello Henry. White is the best! ;). (I have the same):D

Reactions: 390DukeBraaap1
#5 ·
Welcome HenryAlbert,

Where exactly are you, which dealer? I'm in Kanata. My bike came from Wheelsport in Orleans (Ottawa), but it has the cable check done at Woody's in Perth.

#8 ·
it has the cable check done at Woody's in Perth.
phone typos, it had the valve check done at Woody's :)

Yes, there appears to be quite a few new 2016s knocking around still in these parts. Wheelsports had brought in an extra when they traded another dealer for mine, was supposed to be for Jim Kolman's wife but she picked a bigger bike ultimately. But they're still advertising the $60/biweekly so not sure if they still have more or simply have the ability to bring more of them in as needed.

#7 ·
Thanks Longvietnam, I'll check those mods out for sure. Pics will be posted once I actually receive it.

Hey tomjag, I'm slowly liking the white still a blacks fan.

Thanks Philcuore, I love orange.

CDN Duke I'm in Petawawa. I got it from Wheelsport as well, they have a solid deal right now.

Thanks LNICK I do like it when it's customized.

#9 ·
Reactions: HenryAlbert
#11 ·
Thanks Haiqel.

CDN Duke, yeah I got one of those bikes that they were selling, they had 10, I was the 4th sold, who knows if they sold more this week. ALSO ironically I will buy it, the KTM dealer forgot to purchase the rear sliders and I've been looking for some. I'll definitely will take them. I have to go pick up the bike sometime this weekend of next week. I'll let you know when I do, so that we can meet up.

#12 ·
Welcome to the global Duke forum, Henry Albert! The Duke may have a reputation as a starter bike, but it is such an excellent design with good power-to-weight that it also appeals to many long-time veteran riders looking for a fun, easily-manageable ride. You won't outgrow it soon! With the cluster of Duke owners in the Ottawa area you won't lack for riding companions. Be sure you don't skimp on riding gear....Ride safe!

#16 ·
Welcome! I second those who say the duke is more than a starter. I seriously enjoy it as a veteran rider. I admit it is my first "sport bike" and I'm pretty seriously brand loyal, but it's a kick. Definitely quick, maybe not "fast" but quick (although I have had it to 110mph, that's probably too fast for me anyway). As others have said, if you do a k&n filter, probably also do a fuel controller too. I'm still stock. Enjoy the white duke! (I think those with a white one only say it's best because their dealer was really just out of all the black ones!) I only say that all in good fun! I do like my black one
: ) !

#18 ·
Some usual, some unusual suggestions

Welcome to the forum, Henry Albert. I've got a few tips learned over 50+ years of riding.

The very first thing you should do is place the owner's manual on the back of your toilet. Read some of it every time you sit there. No, seriously; this was good advice from a local dealer when my wifey started riding.

The worst thing on these bikes is the poor quality of the brake pads. Replace the fronts with sintered type ASAP. The rears are okay for street use, the rear brake is mainly for stabilizing the bike on slippery surfaces.

Practice coming to a stop without touching your feet down until the very end. An experienced rider can usually come to a full stop very briefly with feet up. Wobbly stops are the sure sign of a beginner.

A set of Powerparts crashbars and axle sliders might prove useful. Wifey has dropped every bike she's had, usually at very low speed on a bit of pavement step or making a u-turn. I'll bet that nearly every rider on this forum has dropped his bike one time or another; it's not a matter of if, but when.

Look your bike over before you get on it, every time. Keep an eye on tire pressures and oil level.

Enjoy your new bike!

#22 ·
Hi

In Norway the summer is sort..... Must use the winter to get the most out of driving....
Spikes and nice treads on the tires. Work like a sharm. From October to now I only used the car 4 times to work.....
I love to drive my Duke to work!
Interested in which tires you run specifically? I run studded tires on a bicycle but don't feel pavement traction to be that great, would prefer more sipes or a better rubber compound for the cold temps.

#23 ·
Nice to meet you today HenryAlbert - exciting day picking up your new bike!

#29 ·
Retrochick I am too, it was finally sunny out and went out for my first ride with the Duke was amazing! Absolutely no regrets at all. Gonna have to start planning for a road trip haha.

G19Tony - Lucky! I want that weather so bad. I hate the 4 seasons in Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.