KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

New from Oregon

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  akshay Kumar 2 
#1 ·
Looking at getting a new 2017 Duke 390 or the new BMW G310R, whichever arrives at dealer soonest.
Selling my Indian Scout because of its weight and my physical issues, getting older. Have ridden since 1964, with 34 of my own bikes, and many others. Have always liked the Dukes, thinking might be fun if the new one isn't too tall.

#2 ·
Welcome JACoH! A surprising number of "anciens combattants" - long time veteran riders - make their way here through attraction to the Duke. It's a great bike for an experienced rider looking for something lightweight but quick and easily manageable. Lots of fun. There are many of us - myself, I started riding in 1968 and, like you, have gone through a stable of bikes, most of which were bigger, faster and heavier than the Duke. Although the Duke is an ideal mount for a novice rider, it is also a delight in the hands of a veteran.

The 2017 Duke is, according to reports, a bit taller than the previous 2013-16 generation. If it proves too tall for you, I would suggest looking at a 2016 - there are plenty remaining in dealerships that would likely be available at a discount compared to the 2017. An outstanding bike.

We hope to see you here soon as a Duke owner!

#4 ·
Looking at getting a new 2017 Duke 390 or the new BMW G310R, whichever arrives at dealer soonest.

Selling my Indian Scout because of its weight and my physical issues, getting older. Have ridden since 1964, with 34 of my own bikes, and many others. Have always liked the Dukes, thinking might be fun if the new one isn't too tall.

Welcome and nice choice! Has your dealer given you any indication of when to expect the 2017s in the states? There is such a lack of information for the American market. My dealer in Michigan has no clue on what to expect, or at least that's the card they're playing. I've got one of the first orders in for a 2017 390 and I'm getting anxious! Good luck with your decision.

#9 ·
I'm in Canada and have been told early May.....but they wanted my money so would probably tell me anything.

To the OP. Have you looked at the BMW GS310. Nice looking bike. I was torn between the two but in the end thought that the Duke would be more fun. Reading about reliability issues has me a bit concerned too, but as mentioned before, it's usually the issues you hear about and not the positives.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I love my little turd but wouldn't recommend one to anyone due to all the problems listed on the RC & Duke forums (I've listed mine below). If you really have your heart set on one, buy an extended warranty and don't add the things that will make it run better/void your warranty (PCV, air filter, etc...). This will prevent you from "investing" $10K into a $5K bike that will be worth $3K after riding it for a couple years. Also sign up for towing coverage with your insurance company so you can have it towed to the dealer when it breaks down and take a month off from riding on perfect summer days.

head gasket failure @ 4.3K miles
water pump failure @ 4.7K miles
clutch failure @ 5.1K miles
engine failure @ 13.1K miles

#6 ·
Could you list your engine mods? Sounds like you're running too lean during the first and maybe the last breakdowns.

Luckily, the clutch is reworked in 2017; ride-by-wire throttle should make the engine operation smoother (and less prone to super lean conditions?).

#8 · (Edited)
While bahawton's unfortunate problems with his Duke have been undeniably serious and serial, his experience should by no means be seen as typical. This is a vehicle forum, after all, where people tend to post about problems, far more than about happy, incident-free riding. Vehicle forums (whatever the brand or type), it is well known, present a very distorted picture of a vehicle's overall reliability by concentrating accounts of issues while demonstrating highly disproportionate (ie, very little) representation of problem-free examples. So tales of woe - something that happens with every vehicle that has a dedicated forum - need to be seen with caution and in this perspective.

There are many of us here, myself included, who just don't post about the fact that they have had little or no problem with their Duke. It just doesn't make interesting reading for a forum, and the happy owners are usually not looking for guidance on how to fix something.

#12 ·
Forget the BMW! (The build quality is probably better- but the motor is smaller- this means it is harder to keep up. Depends on what Ya wanna do with it, I guess.. I do not know about the BMW- I have never ridden one. But I have had the 390 on the road since last year. No issues. No faults. (Apart from the tire pressures- watch your tires. I have adjusted the chain- once, (and lubed it a couple of times). No loss of oil or coolant. Valve clearance was within specs at 1000 klick service. (Will check again before I ride to the east coast in late May)
And yeah- I would but another one. (I already did- my first one got nicked- with 125 klicks on the clock.)They won't get this one!
The specs alone- speak for themselves. (And I am not surprised- that a whole lotta old farts- just like me- got back into this because of THIS bike.

#15 ·
Spec.s & looks pulled this old fart back, too.[/QUOTE
Aha! So I am not the only one!
Back when the 690 was introduced to the NA market, MOTORCYCLIST MAGAZINE claimed that this is the 'ultimate hooligan bike".
That is because the 390 had not been invented yet.. The 390 is smaller/lighter/narrower- and the power to weight ratio is more than adequate- for chasing taxi drivers who wear turbans. Haw!
Release your inner hooligan- sez moi

#14 ·
As a former BMW owner (2004 R1150GS) I can testify that the prestigious rondel-bearer has its own share of flaws and deficiencies. All brands and models do, and I have dealt with a lengthy inventory of them. I'm happy with my Duquito so far.

If buying in OR you should check with the dealership in Sublimity. No sales tax (of course) but also no delivery or set-up charges. Easily the best price I could find, even after registering here in CA.

#16 ·
Welcome aboard.
The lack of information on the ETA of the 17's is EXACTLY what most of us went through with the 15's. KTM are notoriously bad at communication with their dealers.
Even after my dealer had received their allotment, they were still taking orders, despite not knowing they were not getting any more. They actually ordered 6 and ended up getting 3.
If you are serious, I'd get a deposit down ASAP. Even though I prefer the 15/16, the reviews the 17's are getting will mean they won't be on the floor long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.