My first road bike - 2017 390 Duke - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 06-18-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My first road bike - 2017 390 Duke

Hey everyone,

So I finally got my S together and got myself a road bike.

I picked up my brand new 2017 KTM 390 Duke on the weekend and went for an 80km ride and the bike went like a dream, super happy.

The next day I went of a quick 20min ride and while changing down from 5th to 4th it just stalled as I was riding. This happened a couple of times. I emailed the dealer (haven't heard back yet) and did a google search and it appears this is pretty common for dukes. The forums throw out a few theories regarding this, I just hope it can get settled.

The radiotor fan kicked in when I got back from the ride and let the bike idle for a few minutes. Is this common? The dash showed the temp as being ok, I just thought it was weird because it wasn't a hot day and I had only taken it for a 20min ride.

- Riddler
varroa and 390DukeBraaap1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 PM

My advice is not directly related to the 390, but regarding the fan kicking in, probably meaningless to allow the bike to idle. If you're done riding just shut it off and let the bike do it's thing. I had a Buell that used to do that; just a characteristic of how the bike was manufactured. Keeping it at idle will only heat the engine more, keeping a need for the fan to run.

The stalling issue I can't really comment on other than I'd have to question it being commonplace. Sounds scary and a severe safety issue. Just a guess (I have not read about this issue or the theories that accompany the issue) but it sounds electrical? I'd say, though, there is nothing normal about a bike just stalling, no different than if the bike just started on its own for any unknown reason.

I'd get that checked out by the dealer way sooner than later.

Keep us posted and ride safe. Congratulations on the new adventures in your life. Riding motorcycles has been one of the best decisions I ever made!
post #3 of 27 Old 06-18-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I guess the idling thing I'll just have to be more aware of. I live on a gated property so I parked the bike, opened the gate, tied up the dogs and then rode the bike in. Probably let it idle for no more than 3 minutes. I'll be more aware next time and shut it off while I do all that.

I'll let you know how I go on the stalling thing. When I say it's common I mean when i searched for it I found a fair few threads about it. Probably not too many cases for how many bikes are actually sold.

Thanks for the congratulations on the bike, I had dirtbikes when I was growing up but when having a family and mortgage came into the picture bikes got pushed to the back.
Super excited to be back on a bike though.

post #4 of 27 Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Riddler, Welcome to the forum! Your bike's fan behavior is normal - the thermostat tends to switch on the fan whenever there is little/no airflow over the radiator - ie, at very low speed and at stops. If the insectoid sound of the OEM fan annoys you, I suggest changing to a SPAL 5.2 inch puller fan, an upgrade very popular with North American owners. Besides much better build quality and reliability, the SPAL is straight-through (no shroud), thus more efficient aerodynamically and moves more air. It thus runs for significantly less time than the OEM fan to bring down the temp. Additionally, one of the great assets of the SPAL fan is that it is quiet, a whisper compared to the OEM.

Members of this forum have developed a simple and ingenious fix for stalling, after it was discovered that erratic operation of the sidestand switch seems to be responsible for many/most cases of this behavior. Here is the fix (credit to John Wayne and Hoover): With the sidestand down, you will find a magnetic bolt on the rear side of the stand near the top. Unscrew this bolt. Place a washer underneath the bolt and refit it to the stand. Clean the magnetic bolt and the sidestand switch carefully. You are done. The washer now holds the magnetic bolt closer to the switch when the stand is retracted, so it operates the switch more firmly, eliminating most cases of stalling.

Use the forum's search function to find how-to threads on both of these mods.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

Last edited by Diploman; 06-19-2017 at 10:04 AM.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi Diploman,

Thanks for the Advice! I'll be sure to try the above mentioned fix's and let you know how it goes.

This forum site is awesome, I've never really been on one before and I'm very impressed with everyone's kind willingness to help each other out.
It's great to see. Take care.

- Riddler
post #6 of 27 Old 06-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddler View Post
Hi Diploman,

Thanks for the Advice! I'll be sure to try the above mentioned fix's and let you know how it goes.

This forum site is awesome, I've never really been on one before and I'm very impressed with everyone's kind willingness to help each other out.
It's great to see. Take care.

- Riddler
Forum's rock. I've been using them for all my bikes and cars to diagnose issues and find sh1t I didn't know I needed
390DukeBraaap1 and riddler like this.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-20-2017, 11:02 AM

Garage
The only downside to all forums is that everyone has an opinion about everything...rarely is it based upon facts or firsthand knowledge/experience.
zippy49 likes this.

'16 KTM 390 Duke (WHITE)
Mods - Competition Werkes exhaust, Bazzaz, MNNTHBX intake cover w/ K&N, Evotech Performance tail tidy, ergo seat, pillion seat cover, touring windscreen, adjustable levers and KTM covers
post #8 of 27 Old 06-20-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390DukeBraaap1 View Post
The only downside to all forums is that everyone has an opinion about everything...rarely is it based upon facts or firsthand knowledge/experience.
Especially Subaru ones !!!!
390DukeBraaap1 likes this.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
Especially Subaru ones !!!!

My son wants a WRX for his first car...can't wait to experience the Subi forums

'16 KTM 390 Duke (WHITE)
Mods - Competition Werkes exhaust, Bazzaz, MNNTHBX intake cover w/ K&N, Evotech Performance tail tidy, ergo seat, pillion seat cover, touring windscreen, adjustable levers and KTM covers
post #10 of 27 Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390DukeBraaap1 View Post
My son wants a WRX for his first car...can't wait to experience the Subi forums
Hope he's paying the insurance

2015 Speedy White one.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page