Some Questions About KTM Duke 390 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Some Questions About KTM Duke 390

Yo i think about buy KTM Duke 390 as my first moto when i will finish exams for drive license A2, but before i buying the moto i have few questions:

1: Exhaust - I want change the exhaust to akrapovic but i read that the exhaust give 5kw (if is true) and KTM duke 390 have 32kw
and for A2 max is 35kw, soo i will have problems?
Also i wanted cut hole in the original exhaust for get better sound but i will lose my warrany by doing that?
What i mean by cuting hole in exhaust? watch the video under:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAk1...nZWMjBaYnjZedg
It sound really good and its for free...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZON...njZedg&index=5

2: I want buy the bike for fun and transport to work so i want ask if i will have problems/issues with new moto? how often breaks down?
3: Do you think KTM Duke is good choice as first moto?

Sorry for my English its not my main language.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theshaka View Post
Yo i think about buy KTM Duke 390 as my first moto when i will finish exams for drive license A2, but before i buying the moto i have few questions:
Good choice for a first bike!

Quote:
1: Exhaust - I want change the exhaust to akrapovic but i read that the exhaust give 5kw (if is true) and KTM duke 390 have 32kw and for A2 max is 35kw, soo i will have problems?
It adds 5bhp at best, which is about 3.7kw. I think you'll still be fine.

Quote:
Also i wanted cut hole in the original exhaust for get better sound but i will lose my warrany by doing that?
You will lose your warranty on the exhaust, I'm not sure on the engine though.

Quote:
2: I want buy the bike for fun and transport to work so i want ask if i will have problems/issues with new moto? how often breaks down?
I have had zero issues, and the internet isn't flooded with issues, so it should be fine.

Quote:
Yes. It is an easy and forgiving bike to ride, with enough power but not too much.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #3 of 15 Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
1: Exhaust - I want change the exhaust to akrapovic but i read that the exhaust give 5kw (if is true) and KTM duke 390 have 32kw
and for A2 max is 35kw, soo i will have problems?
I don't think cops have a tool to meassure the power of your bike if they control you. If you have to pass the revision just remove it and then install it again.

Quote:
Do just one thing, Akra.

Quote:
What i mean by cuting hole in exhaust? watch the video under:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAk1...nZWMjBaYnjZedg
It sound really good and its for free...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZON...njZedg&index=5
...nice sound with just a hole! That's "smart"!...I tried this and I could feel that the bike wasn't performing well.. It lacked power! The start up and idling exhaust sound are great but at high revs it's just unbearable especially for a 125 so I re welded the whole. (YouTUBE comment)

Quote:
How long is your daily commute? If it's long, consider that Duke 390 has a hard seat and for some people is not comfortable at all...and for other people the pegs position is worst. Ergonomic wise i think the Duke 390 is not the best bike.

I have no problems with my 390 yet, but i think is because my Duke is not an early model...i have read a lot of problems about the Duke 390 that has surprised me a lot. I think the problem may be the month/year of fabrication or! intrusive behaviour by users and bad riding habits.

You will have problems with any moto if you don't mantain and use it properly.

Quote:
Short answer, yes. But it depends, there are several good first bikes if you look other brands. It depends on what you need and how much are planing to spend in papers, accesories and rider equipment. (You must explain yourself better so we can understand your needs)

If you are just learning how to ride...mmm, maybe it has too much power for a really new rider but it depends (years ago a friend of mine crushed his 400cc in his first attemp)...you can crush at the first corner if you are not used to it. Experienced people will tell you it has few power but consider they dominate the bike and you are just learning.

Quote:
Sorry for my English its not my main language.
Don't worry, i don't speak english either.

Last edited by omegachile; 11-24-2014 at 11:01 AM.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-24-2014, 03:28 PM

Cops would have to haul around a dyno and manufacture specs to know the difference in the power that you have

I doubt there's any other legitimate way to get that information
post #5 of 15 Old 11-25-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for reply guys.
@omegachile I am not seach expensive bikes i am not rich, 5k euro is not small price too so just so so, my work distance change almost every month. I read that duke is uncomfortable for big persons and i have 1,75m so i think will be fine i think.

Also i found this : 6 Negatives of Duke 390 and why it is not perfect:
6 Negatives of Duke 390 and why it is not perfect. - RiderZone
I want to know if you guys have same problems.

Last edited by Theshaka; 11-25-2014 at 03:57 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
..Also i found this : 6 Negatives of Duke 390 and why it is not perfect...
Heavy Clutch - False. There's nothing wrong with the clutch, it is light as anything I have ridden with a standard lever.

Rough throttle - Its a mid capacity single cylinder bike, no surprise there, but if this bothers you, adding the PowerTronic ECU smooths it right out.

Short gears - It goes up to 170kph, and you have to change gears six times to get there, its not a superbike though. I find the gear ratios spot on and the gear shifter a joy to operate.

Bad wheel quality - Ride like an idiot, abusing your bike, and something is likely to break. For these guys with their ab-usage patterns, it happened to be the wheels. Do note that the duke doesn't have forged wheels though.

Engine oil problems - No seeping from my engine, this must be up to service techs not knowing how to seat seals properly.

Abrupt stopping of engine - This has been a problem for some, including me, but mine has been solved by adding a PowerTronic ECU. Generally I would say its mostly due to wrong gear selection (i.e. 6th gear, but you're going 10kph), not always though.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #7 of 15 Old 11-25-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Heavy Clutch
It needs a hard squeeze compared to other bikes. The first week i had pain in my middle finger because of this, but now i find it softer. No problem after some use, but it's true, the first days it's hard when you press it. (bare hands?...mmm)

Quote:
Rough throttle
Yes, it's true. Even if you make an effort to control the throttle at low revs it jumps a little. With practice you can control it but compared to other bikes it's very jumpy. But again, with time it won't be an issue...in fact, it will make you a better rider (you will have a more sensitive hand, good for bigger bikes).

Quote:
Short gears
They are longer than the Duke 200 of course, but still not long enough for my personal preference. The solution?, you can rev the bike higher and it will respond with no problems even in low gears. Legal city speeds in 3th with ease.

Quote:
Bad wheel quality
If you use it like a naked bike it will never break a wheel (rim).

Quote:
Engine oil problems
Never had this problem on any of my Dukes. If you ride it like a 373 cc naked bike, it will not leak oil.

Quote:
Abrupt stopping of engine
Never had this either but i have read a lot of comments about this issue. I can not say any definitive about this. (...i saw a video once explaining this problem...they say it was due to the low quality of india's fuel)

In general terms, with practice and proper use, you will not have any of this problems.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for reply guys. Also what about the engine problems? warranty can fix that or you need pay for new parts how it works? is the engine of duke 390 stable?
post #9 of 15 Old 11-26-2014, 04:53 PM

warranty should be covering that, not sure how long the warranty term is but anyone here for now should be covered for some time.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-06-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yo guys 1 question more:
Akrapovic exhaust i should buy bike with it? or separately? i read that if i will buy duke with akrapovic exhaust i can try make deal with the dealer and i can pay less, so how it looks? what about price of the exhaust?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page