Performance gain with K&N Airfilter and Akrapovic Slip-on Exhaust - Page 2 - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philcuore View Post
tomorrow i'l scout around if there any any dyno shop .. would really want to do an A B test ... with and without ... just to ease the pain of departing the moonies ....
A and B test????

What you meant was...you want to do a Dyno via BASELINE test with stock exhaust and stock Airfilter...then do another Dyno Test with the exhaust and airfilter....

Only way to check and compare...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 11-30-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDan View Post
Not too many guys with the Duke 390 yet down in NA but different for you guys in europe and asia.

@mig390

From what I recall the K&N filter comes in two version Race & Street. The race version allows more air flow but thinner filter element. If you get the race filter I would suggest getting a fuel module box like a powercommander and get a custom map. Great filter by the way never by another one again adn recharge kit is cheap.

What kind of performance gain are you looking for?
with these two mods you will notice minimal gains. The bike will feel better at certain parts of the power band but with the exhaust depeding on the pipe diameter you might sacrifice some low end power. The best thing I can suggest for power is a sprocket change to really wake up the 390.

Let us know what you end up with.

Oh no...I have to check what I ordered... I must have ordered the Street version though, which is still ok with me, as it will still breathe better than the stock paper element type. With regards to gains...well I'm hoping with these gains..Hmmm... I would get a minimum of 3bhp increase which will be fine for a light bike as the 390...I'm not expecting major gains but I do want some performance improvement with an exhaust and airfliter mod.

Yes...I plan to go 2 up on the rear with a better looking aluminum and lighter sprocket as the stock's steel black sprocket looks cheap and heavy. Will also replace my 520 chain with new gold chain...I find 6th gear too tall...so, with a Plus 2 rear..it should be able to pull in 6th gear much better. Stock is 45T...I will go 47T... replacing the countershaft sprocket to a -1 will technically increase rear equivalent to a +3...which I think, maybe too much...

I would rather replace the ugly looking stock sprocket with a better looking lighter aluminum one with a lighter 520 gold chain....to add some punch and bling.

Last edited by mig390; 11-30-2013 at 11:25 AM.
post #13 of 44 Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Garage
Yes .... Before and After ... so far... no dyno bike machine here ...
My K&N Filter is KT-1211 what is urs ? is that normal or racing type ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig390 View Post
A and B test????

What you meant was...you want to do a Dyno via BASELINE test with stock exhaust and stock Airfilter...then do another Dyno Test with the exhaust and airfilter....

Only way to check and compare...

post #14 of 44 Old 12-01-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philcuore View Post
Yes .... Before and After ... so far... no dyno bike machine here ...
My K&N Filter is KT-1211 what is urs ? is that normal or racing type ?

Hi Phil...yes we have the same part # KT-1211...

Not sure...could be the "street or Road" version....
We have two Dyno shops here in Manila....so maybe I will try to make an appointment to do a baseline test...then when Pipe and filter are inplace, do another Dyno run....
philcuore likes this.
post #15 of 44 Old 12-01-2013, 03:24 PM

Garage
Yes...u do that ... because the nearest dyno shop is at Singapore. That's 15km away from my home but their labor cost is 3~5 times more then here. Duh ...

anyway ... i can't be bring my Akra there too .... import/export issue ... so the nearest would be at my capitol city KL .. that's 450km away ... darn ...

Quote:
Hi Phil...yes we have the same part # KT-1211...

Not sure...could be the "street or Road" version....
We have two Dyno shops here in Manila....so maybe I will try to make an appointment to do a baseline test...then when Pipe and filter are inplace, do another Dyno run....
post #16 of 44 Old 12-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Im using DNA.

Part Number: R-KT1SM11-01
CC: 200
OEM Air Filter Air Flow: 39.53 CFM
DNA Air Filter Air Flow: 79.76 CFM
DNA Increased Air Flow: +101.75%
DNA Filtering Efficiency: 98-99%

DUKE 200 12' | DNA Filters Ltd.
Identical part no. and filter for all 3 models.
DustyDan and mig390 like this.
post #17 of 44 Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Yes...I plan to go 2 up on the rear with a better looking aluminum and lighter sprocket as the stock's steel black sprocket looks cheap and heavy. Will also replace my 520 chain with new gold chain...I find 6th gear too tall...so, with a Plus 2 rear..it should be able to pull in 6th gear much better. Stock is 45T...I will go 47T... replacing the countershaft sprocket to a -1 will technically increase rear equivalent to a +3...which I think, maybe too much...

I would rather replace the ugly looking stock sprocket with a better looking lighter aluminum one with a lighter 520 gold chain....to add some punch and bling.
This sounds like a good plan, I think I will look at doing the same.
mig390 likes this.
post #18 of 44 Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikon View Post
This sounds like a good plan, I think I will look at doing the same.
Cheaper than buying a PowerCommander and an Exhaust....
Its adds performance with Bling at the same time...
eikon likes this.
post #19 of 44 Old 12-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh no...I have to check what I ordered... I must have ordered the Street version though, which is still ok with me, as it will still breathe better than the stock paper element type. With regards to gains...well I'm hoping with these gains..Hmmm... I would get a minimum of 3bhp increase which will be fine for a light bike as the 390...I'm not expecting major gains but I do want some performance improvement with an exhaust and airfliter mod.

Yeah that is your best bet. But one thing is that i find aluminum sprockets get chewed up easily and need replacing faster then your conventional steel. It is heavier but they do tend to last longer. The best is to replace the front, rear sprocket and chain at the same time. And after a bit when the chain stretches make sure you adjust the tension.
mig390 likes this.

Moderator, ktmduke390forum.com - The Internet's friendliest ktm duke 390 Forum!
post #20 of 44 Old 12-03-2013, 03:27 PM

is there a such thing as forged aluminum sprockets?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page