Performance gain with K&N Airfilter and Akrapovic Slip-on Exhaust - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 11-29-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Performance gain with K&N Airfilter and Akrapovic Slip-on Exhaust

Hi Guys...have any of you installed a K&N Airfilter and a Freer flowing exhaust on your 390?

Any noticeable performance gain from both mods?

I have ordered the K&N Airfilter for two reasons: It's washable and makes the engine breathe better...

I'm also waiting for the dealer to bring the Akrapovic slip-ons or distributors of Arrows and Scorpion to bring in their exhausts for the 390's being sold here. They say by December 2013 or Jan, 2014 they may have exhaust specifically made for the 390's as they already have the exhaust system for the 125,200's that are basically the same. Just that the 390's have a slightly bigger diameter exhaust tubing.

So if anyone has made these two mods...please let us know what performance gains have you achieved?

Thanks,
Miguel
sandy mary likes this.

Last edited by mig390; 11-29-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Not too many guys with the Duke 390 yet down in NA but different for you guys in europe and asia.

@mig390

From what I recall the K&N filter comes in two version Race & Street. The race version allows more air flow but thinner filter element. If you get the race filter I would suggest getting a fuel module box like a powercommander and get a custom map. Great filter by the way never by another one again adn recharge kit is cheap.

What kind of performance gain are you looking for?
with these two mods you will notice minimal gains. The bike will feel better at certain parts of the power band but with the exhaust depeding on the pipe diameter you might sacrifice some low end power. The best thing I can suggest for power is a sprocket change to really wake up the 390.

Let us know what you end up with.
mig390 likes this.

Moderator, ktmduke390forum.com - The Internet's friendliest ktm duke 390 Forum!
post #3 of 44 Old 11-29-2013, 03:24 PM

With these sorts of mods what range of power would be most increased? top end or low end?

post #4 of 44 Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 PM

I wouldn't expect a dramatic change in performance from these mods. Once you get them installed you should give us your own personal review though. When I choose an exhaust I am looking more for the note and the look of the exhaust. Ideally it would also be light so as to not weigh down the bike.
post #5 of 44 Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to philcuore
the Akra dealer here says expect 2.5~3bhp from the powerparts ... must change the air filter ... i just went out riding with 1 of them and my KTM dealer ... and it seems there is a hi-cam mod for 390 ... hmmmm ... an i think i just ordered the Akra slip-on ... cos i'm really restless without it ... duhh ... kill me !
sandy mary likes this.
post #6 of 44 Old 11-29-2013, 03:33 PM

Garage
tomorrow i'l scout around if there any any dyno shop .. would really want to do an A B test ... with and without ... just to ease the pain of departing the moonies ....
post #7 of 44 Old 11-29-2013, 03:34 PM

combined you're probably looking at max 5 bhp gains. If you go full system maybe 8 bhp gains, but with a full system you will also likely see weight savings as well. If you go full system catless you can cut down on heat leak the Dukes are known for...
post #8 of 44 Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 PM

Garage
combines is 2.5~3bhp ...
yes catless will safe weigh and maybe extra 1~2kmh ... and yess... less heat will be expected as per the Akra dealer and KTM dealer said ...
the 390 powerparts akra is catless here in Asia ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy mary View Post
combined you're probably looking at max 5 bhp gains. If you go full system maybe 8 bhp gains, but with a full system you will also likely see weight savings as well. If you go full system catless you can cut down on heat leak the Dukes are known for...
post #9 of 44 Old 11-30-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy mary View Post
I surely doubt you will get 8 bhp gain...maybe 2-3hp is more realistic....
post #10 of 44 Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philcuore View Post
combines is 2.5~3bhp ...
yes catless will safe weigh and maybe extra 1~2kmh ... and yess... less heat will be expected as per the Akra dealer and KTM dealer said ...
the 390 powerparts akra is catless here in Asia ..

Guys...ALL SLIP-ONS ARE CATLESS!!!...slip-on removal starts where the Catbox is located which is infront of the rear shock...so a slip-on already eliminates the catbox no matter what brand...infact you dont need a full system...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page