9Likes
  • 7 Post By John in PA
  • 1 Post By mejetski2000
  • 1 Post By Diploman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-02-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sargent custom seat--RIDE REPORT and pics

I received the rebuilt driver's seat and pillion back from Sargent today. I am very pleased with the results. The details of my instructions for them can be found in this previous thread, with pictures and details in the 6th post.
http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...-upcoming.html

Here are some pictures of the result:

Note: the nose on the pillion has been dished back considerably to allow more usable real estate for the driver. This is no loss to the occasional passenger as their weight is supported further rearward, and REALLY makes a difference for the driver fore and aft.

Height and width has been added to the area of the seat supporting the sides of the butt, with additional foam forward and a slight dish from side to side. This distributes weight much better over the derriere and upper thighs, relieving the "hot spots" over the bony parts of the pelvis that were a problem before. Yet the very front of the saddle is narrowed slightly, with rounder contours, so there's no added ground clearance for the "inseam-challenged."

Pillion is wider and higher, especially forward, allowing weight to be distributed to upper thighs. (Note the Hepco Becker top case mount instead of OEM grab bars. You'd have to double check clearance for the stock grab bars to be certain they'd work with the wider pillion.)
Below is a good shot showing the wider, more supportive contour of the driver saddle, with the extra freedom to scoot a bit rearward that's SO needed on this pony!

Like a lot of guys my age, I've had prostate issues, so I had the seat builder relieve the foam dead center to take pressure off that area. This is also a major comfort issue for many men who have not yet had medical problems, so is something to consider when requesting the build. The relieved area is not visible to the eye, but is easy to demonstrate by applying a bit of pressure at that location. See below.

What about the ride? I spent about an hour and a quarter in the saddle today running errands with a few stops in between. First impression is that words can't describe the improvement over the stock saddle, and there is also remarkable improvement over the KTM Ergo SEAT and Pillion as well. (Enough that my ERGO seats are definitely going up for sale--to be continued... ) I'm VERY pleased with the improvement in comfort and the build quality of the seat.

Did I mention the price? $259.90 for complete custom rebuild of both the front and rear seat, including the FEDEX return shipping. Many custom seat builds start in the $500-600 range and up. This was money extremely well spent.

I asked Scott at Sargent to save the build details, and told him I'd be writing this up for you guys and ladies on the forum. Hope this helps out many of you who've sought a solution to the comfort issue.
Diploman, Johnwayne, Marc and 4 others like this.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-02-2016, 07:36 PM

Garage
John they look amazing ! Just reshaping the front of the pillion to get a bit of breathing room from the tank is genius. I had a lower spine injury years ago and the improved angle of my legs along with better foam make this a no-brainer mod. Well done Sargent !
John in PA likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2016, 08:24 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Outstanding, John! Your redesign turned out beautifully, and I'm not surprised you are pleased. It looks really good, and quite professional. And the price was extremely reasonable for a custom build! This is clearly one of the best-executed mods we've seen lately, and one of the most needed! It's great that you asked Sargent to save the build specs - I'm sure others here will want to duplicate your effort. Thanks for taking this excellent initiative and for making it available to the forum. Well done, John!
John in PA likes this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

Last edited by Diploman; 07-03-2016 at 08:27 AM.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 PM

Garage
Looks great. I am going to the US in three weeks, and would like to put my order if for collection now. Where can I get in touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
I received the rebuilt driver's seat and pillion back from Sargent today. I am very pleased with the results. The details of my instructions for them can be found in this previous thread, with pictures and details in the 6th post.
http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...-upcoming.html

Here are some pictures of the result:

Note: the nose on the pillion has been dished back considerably to allow more usable real estate for the driver. This is no loss to the occasional passenger as their weight is supported further rearward, and REALLY makes a difference for the driver fore and aft.

Height and width has been added to the area of the seat supporting the sides of the butt, with additional foam forward and a slight dish from side to side. This distributes weight much better over the derriere and upper thighs, relieving the "hot spots" over the bony parts of the pelvis that were a problem before. Yet the very front of the saddle is narrowed slightly, with rounder contours, so there's no added ground clearance for the "inseam-challenged."

Pillion is wider and higher, especially forward, allowing weight to be distributed to upper thighs. (Note the Hepco Becker top case mount instead of OEM grab bars. You'd have to double check clearance for the stock grab bars to be certain they'd work with the wider pillion.)
Below is a good shot showing the wider, more supportive contour of the driver saddle, with the extra freedom to scoot a bit rearward that's SO needed on this pony!

Like a lot of guys my age, I've had prostate issues, so I had the seat builder relieve the foam dead center to take pressure off that area. This is also a major comfort issue for many men who have not yet had medical problems, so is something to consider when requesting the build. The relieved area is not visible to the eye, but is easy to demonstrate by applying a bit of pressure at that location. See below.

What about the ride? I spent about an hour and a quarter in the saddle today running errands with a few stops in between. First impression is that words can't describe the improvement over the stock saddle, and there is also remarkable improvement over the KTM Ergo SEAT and Pillion as well. (Enough that my ERGO seats are definitely going up for sale--to be continued... ) I'm VERY pleased with the improvement in comfort and the build quality of the seat.

Did I mention the price? $259.90 for complete custom rebuild of both the front and rear seat, including the FEDEX return shipping. Many custom seat builds start in the $500-600 range and up. This was money extremely well spent.

I asked Scott at Sargent to save the build details, and told him I'd be writing this up for you guys and ladies on the forum. Hope this helps out many of you who've sought a solution to the comfort issue.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Below is the link for information on how to initiate an order for a custom saddle build. Sargent does not manufacture seats for the 390 Duke. While they do manufacture complete saddles for many motorcycles, they only rebuild factory seats for this particular model. You would have to supply them with your original seats or seat pans for Sargent to use in the rebuild. Not sure how you'd manage that during a visit from overseas.

Custom Seat Services - Sargent Cycle Products

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page