Oil level - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 06-28-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oil level

Hey guys,

I got a new white Duke 390. When the bike is cold and on its kickstand, what level should the oil be at on the sight glass? Mine is below the MIN mark but when I stand it up, it is right under Max. I'm new to KTMs or motorcycles rather so I'm not sure what the procedure is to check oil.

My Duke didn't come with a manual, just brochures and parts catalog.

Thanks,
Vin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-28-2015, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin_c View Post
Hey guys,

I got a new white Duke 390. When the bike is cold and on its kickstand, what level should the oil be at on the sight glass? Mine is below the MIN mark but when I stand it up, it is right under Max. I'm new to KTMs or motorcycles rather so I'm not sure what the procedure is to check oil.

My Duke didn't come with a manual, just brochures and parts catalog.

Thanks,
Vin
To check the engine oil level the bike must be:
* At operating temperature, so idle until the fan comes on
* Stood upright (not on sidestand) on a horizontal surface

The engine oil level must be:
* Between the two markings in the middle of the sight-glass
* If below the lower marking, add oil
* If above the top marking, drain oil
post #3 of 26 Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to weeksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by malJohann View Post
* If above the top marking, drain oil

Let the oil cool down before this
B7ACKTHORN likes this.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
Let the oil cool down before this
..unless you're using a syringe through the fill cap...

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #5 of 26 Old 06-29-2015, 04:12 AM

Very easy to overfill this bike if you don't follow those instructions. When it cools down on the side stand the oil seems to disappear and it doesn't run back to the right hand side when you stand the bike upright. I'm not sure that I would wait until the fan came on but I would certainly try to check after a run.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, all.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-29-2015, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
Very easy to overfill this bike if you don't follow those instructions. When it cools down on the side stand the oil seems to disappear and it doesn't run back to the right hand side when you stand the bike upright. I'm not sure that I would wait until the fan came on but I would certainly try to check after a run.
I still haven't figured this mystery out "roadster". I check the oil level immediately after shutting the engine down following every ride. More often than not, it's at the correct level. However, on occasion, it shows low. If oil is added, on the next inspection, it's now over filled. Sure would like to know where that oil is being trapped, creating a false reading. Rocking the bike, side to side, doesn't seem to free it up.

JP

saluti e buona fortuna a tutti I me I compagni di paisano !
2015 KTM 390 >< 2006 Vespa GTS250ie >< 2000 Aprilia RS50 Race Replica >< 2014 Mustang GT
post #8 of 26 Old 06-29-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
I still haven't figured this mystery out "roadster". I check the oil level immediately after shutting the engine down following every ride. More often than not, it's at the correct level. However, on occasion, it shows low. If oil is added, on the next inspection, it's now over filled. Sure would like to know where that oil is being trapped, creating a false reading. Rocking the bike, side to side, doesn't seem to free it up.

JP

Well my theory is that the oil can drain back only to the left side of the engine and only arrives on the right hand side when it is pumped by the running engine. The engine may owe its excellent fuel consumption partly to low losses because rotating components do not run immersed in oil.
easyrider likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
Well my theory is that the oil can drain back only to the left side of the engine and only arrives on the right hand side when it is pumped by the running engine. The engine may owe its excellent fuel consumption partly to low losses because rotating components do not run immersed in oil.
Good theory "roadster". Whatever the reason, you're never exactly sure of a good reading consistently. That being said, the bike has never used any oil during the 1500 miles since the last oil change, so I tend to leave it alone if it's at least at the minimum level.

JP

saluti e buona fortuna a tutti I me I compagni di paisano !
2015 KTM 390 >< 2006 Vespa GTS250ie >< 2000 Aprilia RS50 Race Replica >< 2014 Mustang GT
post #10 of 26 Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Garage
I concur with Roadster's assessment, KTM put an excellent crankcase evacuation system in this motor specifically to negate power loss due to lubrication. At my first service it took almost 2 qts initially but I later drained off some to get to correct level at the sight glass.

Next time I'll drain and use Ratio Rite to accurately measure in CC's. Think it'll take about 1.5-1.6 qts next time.

Pete

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page