Question on cost of First Service. - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question on cost of First Service.

I am nearing the 600 mark and will be getting my first service. I called the dealership where I purchased it from and they are quoting $500 for the first service. I don't know the ins and outs but from my research this price is very high. I'm in Las Vegas and I've found a couple other shops that can do it for much less. What are your thoughts on going somewhere else and does this void the warranty in anyway?

Also, one shop would do it but they don't have the KTM Diagnostic Tool listed on the service sheet, is this necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude with a Duke View Post
I am nearing the 600 mark and will be getting my first service. I called the dealership where I purchased it from and they are quoting $500 for the first service. I don't know the ins and outs but from my research this price is very high. I'm in Las Vegas and I've found a couple other shops that can do it for much less. What are your thoughts on going somewhere else and does this void the warranty in anyway?

Also, one shop would do it but they don't have the KTM Diagnostic Tool listed on the service sheet, is this necessary?
I was quoted $325 from my dealer in NY but they ended up doing it for free when the stator broke and it turned into a 3 week long debacle getting the part ordered from KTM.

2015 Black KTM 390 Duke
KTM Powerparts seat
KTM Solo seat cover
post #3 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 02:46 PM

Imo the thing about the first service is having the valve lash checked oh. ...and apparently the cooling fan.

So weather you pay $250 $350 or $500 you want to make sure the valve lash is checked.

I would think $500 is more in line with if the valves actuality need to be adjusted.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 06:30 PM

Garage
Since most of the first services are getting synthetic oil installed you can figure $40 for 2 qts of Motorex, plus a filter kit for about $30, not including labor. My bill including valve check minus the oil change was $220 OTD (Did my own oil, wanted to save filter screens). No valve adjustment needed this service but they were checked. BTW, I highly recommend that you DO change out the oil as recommended since the sump and suction screens get loaded up pretty bad with metal.

Pete

Pete in Maine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mejetski2000; 06-29-2015 at 06:33 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I really appreciate the replies. I've called a few shops locally and including the valve check am looking at around 250 - 300. This is from a licensed mechanic and much more reasonable then the $500 quote from the dealership.

The only thing they can't do off of the list is the KTM Diagnostic, however I've been told that is only necessary if you are getting an engine light, can anyone verify this?
post #6 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 PM

~$375 in CenCal. Valves checked - no adjustment. $96/hr labor rates.

Running:
'15 KTM Duke390
'06 Ducati Sport1000
'05 Suzuki GSXR750 (2nd one!)
'99 Honda CBR900RR (wife's)

Not running:
'93 Honda CBR600F2

Sold:
'03 Suzuki DRZ400S
'98 Honda VTR1000F
post #7 of 19 Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude with a Duke View Post
I really appreciate the replies. I've called a few shops locally and including the valve check am looking at around 250 - 300. This is from a licensed mechanic and much more reasonable then the $500 quote from the dealership.

The only thing they can't do off of the list is the KTM Diagnostic, however I've been told that is only necessary if you are getting an engine light, can anyone verify this?
I would be careful. There is not much that can "void" a warranty, but not having an authorized KTM tech do that 600 miler just may. I've never taken any bike back to the stealership for anything. This will be the first one for me.

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-30-2015, 10:22 AM

On a Authorized ktm service center here in Northen Greece the 1st service was 120.00 Euro

\xz

post #9 of 19 Old 07-03-2015, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
can anyone verify if the first service must be done at a ktm certified dealer. In vegas there is only one and they are a lot higher then other non-ktm certified mechanics.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-03-2015, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I may have figured this out. According to the warranty on the ktm website.

VI. OWNER RESPONSIBILITY
1. Owner is responsible for maintaining their motorcycle in accordance with the schedule printed in the owner’s
manual.
2. Owner is responsible for the costs of maintenance to the motorcycle including service at scheduled intervals.
Service work properly done by the owner will not void the warranty. Failures caused directly by lack of
maintenance or improper maintenance will void the warranty.

3. If warranty repairs are needed, they must be performed by an authorized KTM dealership. The owner may be
asked to provide the following documentation of proper maintenance: a maintenance record which displays the
date of service and service work performed, copies of repair orders/ receipts, a statement that the owner
performed the service work including receipts for the replacement parts/ gaskets/ filters/ fluids etc. that were
used to complete the service.
4. Return the KTM motorcycle to an authorized KTM motorcycle dealer within ten (10) days after discovery of any
defective parts. Your KTM dealer should initially determine if the particular KTM component(s) in question are to be
submitted to KTM North America, Inc. for evaluation. All warranty work must be performed by an authorized KTM
dealer.
5. KTM North America, Inc. does not authorize any company or person to create a liability or any warranty obligation on
its own behalf. KTM North America, Inc. in its sole discretion will make the final disposition of any component(s)
submitted for warranty evaluation. All parts and components returned to KTM North America, Inc., and replaced under
this warranty shall become the property of KTM North America, Inc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page