HedsKatoom ownership experience - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 Old 09-09-2014, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
HedsKatoom ownership experience

As per the title, my 390 went for its first service yesterday.

I bought the bike secondhand with a shade over 400 miles on it, since then I've done 600ish miles, so it was ready for the first dealer service. Instead of taking it back to where I bought it from (which is a 180 mile round trip) I decided that I'd give the local Katoom dealership a go (a more reasonable 40 mile round trip - with much better twisty roads).

Since having the Akrapovic system put on I felt that it had become quite asthmatic and wheezy and completely lacking in urge. It also had become a bit troublesome with the odd stall (mainly going down through the gears to junctions) and was bit of a pain to start.

Along with a few other teething issues I got talking to the mechanic that was going to work on the bike and he said that he'd plug it into his diagnostics and see what's what.

Turns out that the place where I bought the bike from and had installed the Akra hadn't actually installed the map for it, which explains a lot. A fresh map and a run up the road revealed that the bike had been completely rejuvenated and felt as fit as a butchers dog, plenty of urge, plenty of pull (well, for a lightweight bike with a shade under 50bhp).

The mechanic also gave it an oil change (which has made the engine much quieter) and noticed that the nut on the gear selector attached to the gear shaft was loose and loctited it and that the front tyre had only 10psi in it. That's my fault for assuming that the shop where I bought it from had actually done what they said they'd done when they stated that they'd "...gone right through the bike". They may well have done, but they hadn't checked the basics, (this is the same place that had left the rear crash bungs on when they fitted the Akra, which left grooves in the Akra - not impressed, I can tell you).

So, all in all, a success. Both the local dealership came up to scratch (nice bunch of folk, come highly recommended - Triple D Racing of Kendal) and the service has done the bike wonders.

At some point in the near future I'll be returning to get my front forks possibly resprung.

Just waiting for my new rear shock to turn up now so I can install that and reap the benefits. Which reminds me, the Triple D mechanic told me that the 390 suspension is only rated for folk up to 13 stone in weight (82.5 Kg) so if you're over that weight you'll run into issues as I have done which is the forks being a bit spongy and dipping sharply under braking and the rear shock crashing into potholes. If that's the case then you too need to get your suspension looked at, else your OEM suspension will suffer and possibly fail prematurely, that's not accounting for the terrible handling you'll already be experiencing.
philcuore, B7ACKTHORN and Ubik like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 PM

Great write up and read, was always curious about the experience someone would be going through with their 390 when servicing it.
post #3 of 114 Old 09-10-2014, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazardousDuke View Post
Great write up and read, was always curious about the experience someone would be going through with their 390 when servicing it.
Cheers.

The first service, including oil & filter, remap for the Akra and 1.5hrs labour cost 99.33. Which isn't bad all things considered, but then I am used to Hondas servicing charges.

When you look at the cost of road tax and insuring* them the 390 is really cheap motoring.

Forgot to mention, I'm off to Dynojet UK HQ tomorrow to hopefully have the first 390 PCV in the country nailed on, can't wait!! \o/

*I am an old fart though.

Last edited by HedsKatoom; 09-10-2014 at 05:13 AM.

post #4 of 114 Old 09-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedsKatoom View Post
Forgot to mention, I'm off to Dynojet UK HQ tomorrow to hopefully have the first 390 PCV in the country nailed on, can't wait!! \o/
Before and after maps please!

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #5 of 114 Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok, so I've just landed back from Dynojet.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from today. I thought that a PCV unit, perhaps still under development, was going to be fitted and trialed on my bike. Not the case.

What happened is that instead I 5hrs in the company of a nice chap called Richard who set about discovering what made my 390 tick so that he could develop the very first 390 PCV.

So, many a wire was attached in turn to the bike to find out things such as what signals the Throttle Position Sensor and the ignition were doing and then essentially building up a picture of all electrical aspects of the bike so that Richard could set about making a PCV unit over the next week.

The bad news: many of the KTM plug in connections aren't standard off the shelf items, and require ordering, so I didn't ride out of Dynojet HQ with a PCV. Booo!!!

The good news: Richard is enthusiastically optimistic about what the little 390 can achieve once it has the PCV module he develops plugged in, very optimistic! Yayyyy!!! \o/

As standard, KTM state that the 390 produces 44bhp. Now, as far as I've seen 390 specification sheets, they haven't said if that's at the crank or at the wheel. If that figure is supposedly at the crank then Richard's educated guess is that through frictional losses, a 390 would lose about 4 of the horses, so 40bhp at the rear wheel, as standard.

My bike, with an Akrapovic (which according to dealerships and KTM UK's very own site, produces an extra 5bhp) on Dynojet HQ's Dyno, in rather humid (37%) and warm (23.95c) climes made 42.55bhp Max torque 25.7 at the wheel. So a supposed 49bhp at the crank loses 6.45bhp in frictional losses, so about right.

Initially Richard was cautiously optimistic, saying that he anticipated maybe a 10% improvement. But by the end of the session, he was very pleased and said that we may be looking at anything up to a 20% improvement, so could be looking at a hike from 42.55bhp (with Akra) up to 51bhp at the rear wheel. I'd be very happy with that!

Anyway, let's not get too excited just yet.

I'm now back home and now waiting for the phone call to return back to Dynojet (they may even collect my bike instead - either way I'm not fussed) so Richard can fit the very first PCV to my 390 and run it through the gears to get it set up on the Dyno.

Not sure exactly when that will be, could be about a week or so, as he's got to wait for the harness clips to turn up so he can make a PCV sub harness.

Oh, the other good bit of news is that Richard is adamant that the install of the PCV will be an absolute doddle. Only the seats will need taking off and a couple of clicks into the harness and you're done he reckons, so about 10mins all in for fitting (not that I'll be fitting mine ). Then it's just a case of (I'd imagine) downloading the relevant map and that's it.

Map of Dynojet power run and photo of bike on Dyno to follow.
B7ACKTHORN and malJohann like this.
post #6 of 114 Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Map of Dynojet power run and photo of bike on Dyno to follow.
Awesome! Can't wait!
HedsKatoom likes this.

Honda CBR400RR --> Suzuki Raider 150R --> Suzuki DR200SE --> KTM D390 with sauce
post #7 of 114 Old 09-12-2014, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

^Keep in mind, this was a standard run with an Akra and standard air filter. Can't wait to see what the 390 will make with an Akra, DNA filter, PCV and possibly ignition timing tweak. It will also have an Autotune (for atmospheric control) and an LCD for switching maps. Richard is pretty keen to see what the 390 is capable of, which is great, as so do I!

EDIT: by the way you can see from the bottom trace that the bike is running quite weak - for EU emissions regulations. Not dangerously weak, but that's the bit that looks so promising to Richard, there's a lot of room for manoeuvre.
Clews207 likes this.

Last edited by HedsKatoom; 09-12-2014 at 04:56 AM.
post #8 of 114 Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Cheers.

The first service, including oil & filter, remap for the Akra and 1.5hrs labour cost 99.33. Which isn't bad all things considered, but then I am used to Hondas servicing charges.

When you look at the cost of road tax and insuring* them the 390 is really cheap motoring.

*I am an old fart though.
Not bad, at least you got some good things done.
Did you get a chance to see what the oil looked like and what amount of metal shavings there were.
post #9 of 114 Old 09-13-2014, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazardousDuke View Post
Not bad, at least you got some good things done.
Did you get a chance to see what the oil looked like and what amount of metal shavings there were.
Looking through the oil sight window you could see that the oil was starting to look like coca cola, so it was definitely time for a change and the engine was much quieter once the new oil was in. The dealership didn't have new oil filters in stock, so I've got to go back, though I'm assuming that they rinsed the old one out before sticking it back in.

One of the many nuggets of information I took from the dyno session was that Richard (R&D tech guy) was saying that modern injection bikes are set that they constantly adapt to their surrounding by way of fuelling.

He asked me about when I had the bike remapped at the service at the beginning of the week, asking if once it was done did it feel brilliant, then as time elapsed did it not feel quite as good. As I thought back it seemed to strike a chord, though I was unsure if that was just me acclimatising to the sorted bike.

Turns out that the bike, since being mapped, only fuels perfectly at 100% throttle. Which speaks volumes. When it was remapped on Monday I ragged the bike up the road, pinning the throttle and it felt fantastic, like a whole new bike. But at lower throttle positions it didn't feel that great. Fingers crossed the PCV will sort all that out.
post #10 of 114 Old 09-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Location: Nilgiris - Where everything is in a relaxed state of tune!
HedsKatoom beautifully complied and loved the read (as an old fart would) All in excellent stuff, and eager to know how this unfolds, cheap HP with proper spec.

Cheers!
VJ
HedsKatoom likes this.

Fool me once - Shame on you
Fool me twice - I'll kick your @rse

Honda CBR 250R ABS | Suzuki Shogun 2S | Hyundai Accent GLS 1.6 ABS | KTM Duke 390 | Next ?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page