Front brake on new D390 & bedding in - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Front brake on new D390 & bedding in

New bike front brakes make a distinct and steady sound. Sounds like brake pads being squeezed onto metal. Varies with braking force and speed. Normal?

How do you bed brakes in - varied braking and emergency stop practice?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 04:35 AM

No, it is not normal. These brake pads are very cheaply made with longevity in mind, not performance. Mine also made that horrible sound, and i hated it. So just replace them with EBC sintered brake pads, like everybody suggested on here as one of the many upgrades you can do. Now it is all quite and the performance in braking is much better.
The bedding in period is a bit longer on the sintered pads but worth it. Just do moderate braking for the first hundred kilometers, do not overheat them or keep the brake on for long periods.

Last edited by Clinton1; 01-08-2017 at 04:38 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
These are brand new brakes I shan't replace them yet. They're fine for Saigon.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
If you don't care to change to good pads, then you likely will be keeping the stock pads for a long time - those stock pads wear like they're made of iron, and feel like it too. They require a lot more effort at the lever to stop compared to HH pads, but if improved brake performance is not a priority for you, the stockers will do the job. The corollary to the hardness of the stock pads is that they are equally slow to bed-in.

I suspect you may have fallen prey to the "contaminated rotor syndrome". Apparently, the Bajaj factory does not clean new rotors after manufacturing or assembly, sending them on to dealers and customers. If the dealer does not clean the rotors carefully before delivery to the customer (some do, many don't), then the new owner unwittingly becomes the rotor-cleaner the first few times he/she uses the brakes. The brand-new rotor's factory-supplied layer of oil/grease/crud is quickly embedded into the contact surface of the brake pads as soon as they squeeze the contaminated rotor. This makes the stock pads even more problematic and, I believe, can cause strange behavior such as odd noises as well as poor braking.

Whatever pads you use, it is essential to thoroughly clean the rotors on a new 390. If your stock pads have become contaminated but you still want to keep them, then you should take out the pads and sand off the top few (contaminated) millimeters with a flat block using ~220 grit sandpaper. Reinstall the pads and clean the rotors regularly henceforth.

EBC recommends the following bedding-in procedure for HH pads, but it should work for other pads as well: Accelerate to 50 MPH (80KPH) then, firmly applying the brake to be bedded-in, decelerate to 20 MPH (32KPH). Repeat this procedure 6 times without stopping to allow the brake to cool. Then allow the brake to cool for about 5 minutes and perform another braking cycle like this. After several iterations you should begin to feel the brake biting harder as the pad contact surface conforms more and more to the rotor surface. The stock pads, because of their hardness, will probably take longer than HH pads to bed-in.
B7ACKTHORN and Clinton1 like this.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

Last edited by Diploman; 01-08-2017 at 11:51 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploman View Post
If you don't care to change to good pads, then you likely will be keeping the stock pads for a long time - those stock pads wear like they're made of iron, and feel like it too.
Understood. I should change the pads at some point soon. It is hard to get parts and tools in Vietnam. I will look into how to do the pad replacement but doubt it is something I can do easily.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 04:20 AM

Garage
As Diploman pointed out correctly , the stock pads are something you want to change asap : It will give you much better braking power and comfort for little money spent .
post #7 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Not in vietnam where I doubt I could even buy those pads.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 05:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongVietnam View Post

In that unfortunate case , I guess your best option is to remove the pads to sand them down and degrease the rotor .
post #9 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 06:46 AM

Garage
Quote:

Plenty of results for ktm duke 390 ebc hh on Ebay.vn though as I don't read the language then for all know they take six months to arrive and come with 3000% import taxes.........

http://www.ebay.vn/tim-kiem/ktm+duke+390+ebc+hh.html

If you can get hold of a set they are very well recommended though. I'm the last person to consider binning a set of virtually new pads on a bike, but once you've tried a set of sintered pads you'll quickly realise the bin is all the stock pads are good for
Diploman, zippy49 and Clinton1 like this.

Less is more - You can only use 150hp .001% of the time, but you can use 150kg 100% of the time ...........

2015 390 Duke / 2001 KTM 640 Duke2 (awaiting carb rebuild) / 1998 Bandit 1200 (half dead) / 1994 DR350 (in bits)
post #10 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Understood. I should change the pads at some point soon. It is hard to get parts and tools in Vietnam. I will look into how to do the pad replacement but doubt it is something I can do easily.

Duke 390 Brake pad replacement guide
Diploman and LongVietnam like this.

Less is more - You can only use 150hp .001% of the time, but you can use 150kg 100% of the time ...........

2015 390 Duke / 2001 KTM 640 Duke2 (awaiting carb rebuild) / 1998 Bandit 1200 (half dead) / 1994 DR350 (in bits)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page