140/70/17 Rear Tire Installed - KTM Duke 390 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
140/70/17 Rear Tire Installed

All i need to say is what an improvement in handling ever. Flicks on a dime, turn in is great. So glad I took the recommendation and copied what the Pros are racing with!! If you are considering it please do it. Tire even looks bigger cause it isnt pinched like the 150/60 is.
Diploman, Hoover, AndyB and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Garage
I believe that Ari Henning runs a 165 (w/chicken strips) on the rear of his RC390 xO but I would be happy with a 140 for weekend twisties

'16 KTM 390 Duke (WHITE)
Mods - Competition Werkes exhaust, Bazzaz, MNNTHBX intake cover w/ K&N, Evotech Performance tail tidy, ergo seat, pillion seat cover, touring windscreen, adjustable levers and KTM covers
post #3 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sorry was talking about the RC Cup and Moto 3 teams running the smaller tire. Yep made a huge difference in the twisties this past weekend. Peg down with feeler removed!! Super stoked.
390DukeBraaap1 likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcutler2003 View Post
All i need to say is what an improvement in handling ever. Flicks on a dime, turn in is great. So glad I took the recommendation and copied what the Pros are racing with!! If you are considering it please do it. Tire even looks bigger cause it isnt pinched like the 150/60 is.
Can you post a pic or two mate?

2015 Speedy White one.
Mods: Bazzaz piggyback, MNNTHBX open airbox, K & N air filter, Werkes exhaust, R6 rear shock, PowerParts seats, G6 quick turn throttle, Spal fan, EI conversion, cheapo bar end mirrors and levers, Evotech tail tidy, Evotech spols and bobbins, R&G radiator guard, PowerParts chain guard, EBC HH pads.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 06:16 PM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
Yes, the Duke's handling is perceptibly improved when a 140/70/17 rear tire is substituted for the OEM 150/60/17. Unquestionably, 140/70 is the correct size to fit the Duke's 4" rim. (A 150 requires at least a 4 1/2" rim for the profile to run as designed, rather than pinched/distorted.) The 140/70 is slightly taller than the 150/60, so as BCutler points out, it does appear a bit bigger than the stock tire. But the main thing is that the 140 can lay down a correct, undistorted profile with a bigger contact patch than the 150, and can easily use the entire tire right to the edge, rather than leaving "chicken strips" of unused rubber as the 150 typically does when fitted to the Duke rim. Why did KTM choose to fit a 150/60 rear to the 390's? Clearly this was a bit of macho marketing hype to distinguish the KTM bikes from the Japanese <400cc competition (Honda, Yam, Kaw) all of which have the exact same size rear rim as the KTM's but are shod from the factory with 140/70 rear tires. Style over function.

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
Can you post a pic or two mate?
Some freeloader tried to acquire my Moto 2 fridays ago so now I have it in a storage facility where i am renting a parking spot. So i can drive my car there park the car ride the Moto then bring the Moto back and drive car home. So as soon as i am over there again which should be beginning of next week I will get photos for you.
Hoover likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-15-2017, 04:03 PM

Garage
At the rate I'm putting on the miles lately I won't need a new tire this decade.

The Pirelli Rosso 2 and Dunlop GPR-300 are indeed available in 140. There is also Conti's Attack SM but more expensive, and Shinko which I've only tried once on our "visiting" FZ-09 and hated. YMMV. The "H" speed rating is good up to 130 mph, should be fine for our 390s. "V" is overkill, for up to 150.
bcutler2003 likes this.

Lighter makes it righter!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-16-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
When the front needs to be replaced which more than likely would mean the rear also (2 to 1), I am going to go with the Michelin Power RS unless there is a terrible wet weather review by then on them which doesnt seem like there is going to be.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Location: Murrysville, PA, USA. A pleasant, wooded suburb of Pittsburgh.
The Michelin Power RS looks very good and comes in the right sizes - it is a new design, however, without a lot of user feedback. It appears to be purely sport oriented, so long wear is unlikely. Also, it is a W-rated tire, seemingly intended for big, powerful bikes, and might be overkill for the Duke, where H-rated is sufficient. If you do get a set of these, I'm sure the Duke community would be interested in your impressions.

If wet weather performance is important to you, you might take a look at the Michelin Pilot Street Radial, specifically targeted at lightweight bikes like the Duke. It's been on the market for over a year, and the user assessments are extremely positive. One aspect of this tire that receives a lot of mention is its outstanding performance in the wet, said to be among the best available today. The Pilot Street is also praised for extended mileage, considerably better than what a pure sports tire can offer.

Either of these tires would be an excellent choice, but I think the Pilot Street is a little more tailored to the Duke's power and weight characteristics.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ial-rear-tires

Cheers, Will

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else."
--Yogi Berra

2015 390 Duke
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II (becoming a cafe racer)
1984 Moto Guzzi SP 1000
post #10 of 12 Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I got 6500 miles out of my rear of the Diablo 2, and that is with a lot of twisties and daily riding. I ride almost every day to work so the wet is a feel good to have. Got my heart set on the RS tires next, and I know you pay more for the higher Rating of tires but the RS looks amazing right now.
Hoover and 390DukeBraaap1 like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page